18 replies to this topic

#1 figgy

figgy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 03:49 AM

hey ppls, i had my original xbox hdd with evox 2.4 installed, when i inserted a dvd with this dash the movie played straight away and i could use the dvd packs remote control- everything was sweet smile.gif

I have put a 60gb drive in, and everything but two things work like they used to. Using the evox "load dvd automatically" option i get an error code 21. Using dvd2x i can play the dvds fine. I also get a error code 21 when i try and load the original msdash.

I have a 60gb hdd, locked with the key provided by evox and a homebrew mod running evox 2.4.

Any idea why dvd movies arn't playing?!! I really do miss being able to use the dvd remote since dvd2x doesn't support it :/

Please help me!! Im desperate wink.gif

#2 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 04:39 AM

Eh, maybe it's trying to load the msdashboard.xbe file which you have deleted???

#3 figgy

figgy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 06:29 AM

nope, i havn't deleted it...

even copied it as a different name and added another menu item in evox for the copy... Same thing sad.gif

anyone got any ideas???

#4 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 07:02 AM

Good!

The bottom line is your that evolution-X is NOT finding the file it's looking for.

Check the evox.ini file on your Xbox's C: drive.

Look at the lines which read...

[Misc]

AutoLaunchGames = No
AutoLaunchDVD = No
DVDPlayer = "c:\msxboxdash.xbe"
AutoLaunchAudio = Yes
AudioPlayer = "c:\msxboxdash.xbe"
MSDashBoard = "c:\msxboxdash.xbe"
UseFDrive = Yes
SkinName = XboxBlue

Notice that in my case I'm reverting to the renamed original dashboard called msxboxdash.xbe, to play DVD's, Music & for other uses (hence the three entries).

This is what is wrong with your system.

#5 figgy

figgy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for your reply, but i don't think it is as simple as what you suggested..

Here is the misc section from my evox.ini file;

[Misc]

AutoLaunchGames = No
AutoLaunchDVD = Yes
DVDPlayer = "c:\msxboxdash.xbe"
AutoLaunchAudio = No
AudioPlayer = "c:\msxboxdash.xbe"
MSDashBoard = "c:\msxboxdash.xbe"
UseFDrive = Yes
SkinName = Evox1

The file 'msxboxdash.xbe' is in the root of my xbox c drive, but it still doesn't load sad.gif

Creating an additional menu item in evox, like so- still fails;

Item "Original Dash", "c:\msdash.xbe"

Just as a test, i put the msdash xbe in my e:\applications\msdash (auto menu) and changed the name to 'default.xbe'. Evox read the description from the file (xbox dashboard), but when launching the file it once again went to the service screen stuck on error code 21....

Im really stumped here guys :/

#6 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 09:27 AM

Ok, for yucks look closely at your last reply to me.

The evox.ini file looks ok, however it REQUIRES the original dashboard to be sitting on C:\ and to have the name of msxboxdash.xbe

However you called it msdash.xbe, not the same thing.

It also must sit in the root directory of the C: drive.

Try bringing up boXplorer and find the right file.

Launch it from boXplorer. Does the dash come up?

If yes everything is fine. If you get the Evolution-X screen then you probably have the WRONG file (check the size EvolutionX is about 680k, the original dashboard is about 1.2 megs.).

If the system freezes the file is corrupt.

#7 figgy

figgy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 03:55 PM

i copied the msdash as another file, just to see if that made a difference... but it doesn't...

my msdash is called 'msxboxdash.xbe', loading the file from evox and from boxexplorer gives the same thing- error code 21 on the customer service screen.

You said the file could be corrupt, do you know where i can get a replacement dash from??

I dont know how if could have been corrupted though sad.gif

#8 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 04:18 PM

How big is this file?

If it will not run directly from boXplorer, it's corrupt. You will need to restore from a backup, as it is serialized specifically for your Xbox.

If when you run it, evolution-X shows up, you may actually be using the wrong file!

Again, how BIG is it in bytes?

#9 figgy

figgy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 11:16 PM

as soon as i run it from anywhere i get the customer support screen sad.gif

the files size is 1,394,036 bytes

#10 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 02:54 AM

Well we know you mod chip is running fine, and that your Xbox works ok.

The problem seems to be that your default dash is either corrupt or not the one for your Xbox.

Your only recourse is to restore from a backup.

If you do not have one, you may TRY getting one from someone else, though this will definitely NOT work with the original bios.

#11 figgy

figgy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 04:55 AM

yeh, i think thats only explaination left... its weird though, cause it worked fine in the stock drive... just upgrading the drive has fucked it, but everything else works :/

weird.

I'll replace the file with my backup, and hope that fixes it... lets just hope that my backup isn't corrupt!

"If you do not have one, you may TRY getting one from someone else, though this will definitely NOT work with the original bios." <- i dont think that would be a problem anyway, since im not running the original bios and never plan to smile.gif

#12 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 06:39 AM

One last note, you might want to MANUALLY try reformatting ALL of your partitions again.

Sometimes the format doesn't seem to "take" right and leads to some very weird file corruption and nested directories. Reformatting ALL of the partitions normally clears this.

#13 figgy

figgy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 09:04 AM

yeh, i formatted them manually the first time :/

i'll try doing that again though, im open for anything here wink.gif

Thank-you so much for your help opjose- you've been a great help smile.gif

#14 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 09:21 AM

Out of curiosity let me know how it goes after the reformat.

Double check your drive's IDE cable and that "CABLE SELECT" is turned on, NOT master/slave, etc.

It may be that one of these factors is at play.

Since you mentioned that everything was ok with the original drive, either your Xbox is not writing things out properly to the new drive (for the above reasons?) or the xfers are not working properly and the files are getting corrupt via the transfers.

#15 figgy

figgy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 10:53 AM

opjose - formatting didn't fix it- im assuming my backup of my dash somehow got corrupted... I downloaded version 4627 of the ms dash and installed that, now everything is back to normal they way it should be smile.gif

Thanks so much for your help though man wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users