• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kringle

kringle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 12:07 AM

I have installed countless Xecuter mod chips and never had a problem (always use a wire install and do top side D0 point. I recently installed a 2.2 lite into a friends 1.0 X-Box and upon installation, the video stopped working. I soon as I had the chip installed and put the xbox back together and booted into the mod to flash the bios you could hear the xbox boot-up hear the sounds from the splash screen then the disc would eject with a solid green light (just like the cromwell does when it is install successfully and wants you to insert your bios disk).

I then turned off the mod chip and booted up into normal xbox dash, heard the xbox load the splash screen then go to the set clock men (heard the sounds) but still no video whatsoever. I don't get any frags or any other problems. And everything indicates all is well EXCEPT that the video no longer works. I tried standard RCA's and svideo and high def to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I already went over both the top and bottom sides of the motherboard with a magni. glass looking for stray pieces of solder and broken traces and don't see any problems. Like I said the fact that I can hear it boot-up and play games in no mod mode and load the cromwell bios and eject the cd properly in the mod mode indicates that the mod chip 10 wire install went ok. I simply don't have video.

-Kris

#2 WodMan

WodMan

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 01:27 AM

I don't think that anything near the LPC points would have anything to do with video, but I would check for splashed solder. Worst case, remove the wires (you did say wire connector was used, right?) and see what happens.

#3 kringle

kringle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 01:47 AM

I already "undid" my mod and still no video. I checked all over with a magnifyn glass for solder splash and see nothing, no broken traces, no burn't traces, nada. I reinstalled the mod and still no video. Its very strange because otherwise audio lights, etc indicate the xbox is working fine its as if the gpu got fried but I don't see how that would happen simply modding an xbox. Anybody else have insight. I have seen numerous posts from people complaining of the same problem when modding their xbox's but no resolution's.

TIA

#4 hydro311

hydro311

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 02:10 AM

This is actually my xbox and I would like to buy Kringle some beers to get this working! beerchug.gif

So anyone knows anything that may give us any clues here would be helpful...

#5 Terrorbyte

Terrorbyte

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 15 July 2003 - 04:03 AM

kringle

are you using the stock RCA A/V cable, or one of the HD cables? Make sure you're using the standard RCA video cable, or it's likely that you won't get video.

I would've known how to answer your question if you were gettng video with the normal XBOX dashboard, but since you're not getting video there it's most likely a solder splash or a bridged connection somewhere. Also, double-check all of the connections on your motherboard, make sure cables are securely tightened, etc. I had video issues and discovered that one of the cables were a little loose, after correcting the cable the video worked normally.

#6 hydro311

hydro311

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 02:03 PM

Terrorbyte,

#7 hydro311

hydro311

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 02:04 PM

Terrorbyte,
We had both the HD and the normal RCA cables and neither worked. We also had another Xbox around to test and make sure our cables were connected properly. The other xbox worked fine with both HD and RCA. My xbox never got video at all. Only audio.

hydro311

#8 bigugly

bigugly

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 03:06 PM

i know this doesn't help any, but i am in this exact same predicament. it is only my first install (x2.1 lite into a v1.1 box), but everything and everywhere that i look on the motherboard looks clean to my eyes. i have tried everything i could thing of every weekend for about a month trying to get the damn thing going, but i always get the black screen with audio in the background. oh well, here's to hoping that someone will have something encouraging or enlightening to offer this thread.

#9 hydro311

hydro311

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 04:45 PM

Bigugly, check your PM. Thanks

#10 kringle

kringle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 01:53 AM

Hydro's issue is fixed. It was the giant strange solder splash near the coxeant chip that we have no idea how it got there. So look around that chip for any solder splash (no matter how big or small). We didn't fix it (a friend did) but we were suspicious of the splash to begin with and still have no idea how that much solder got that far away from where we were working.

#11 Terrorbyte

Terrorbyte

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 16 July 2003 - 04:07 AM

Ahhh...solder splashes (that was one of my hunches), one of those easy-to-overlook issues that can drive modders insane. I haven't had that happen...yet (knock on wood), but I've fixed XBOXes that had solder splashed all over the place - we're talkin about soldering messes beyond belief. I've watched boneheads shake their soldering irons to get excess solder off the tip, every now and again I'd see a splash on the damn celling, one of my buddies managed to get solder into his friggin fishtank, which was clear across the damn room from where he was soldering. It's always nice to have a desoldering vacuum nearby...$7 at RadioShack, well worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users