12 replies to this topic

#1 species8472

species8472

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 04:13 PM

I am looking to backup some of my games, so i can store the originals so they don't get damaged. What form of media works the best with the drives? DVD-R or DVD+R? I am about to buy a new burner, and im not sure which one would be better for this task.

#2 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,218 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 July 2003 - 04:50 PM

DVD MEDIA COMPATIBILITY

You will find that DVD-R simply provides higher compatibility. Pioneer developed it a long time ago.. and it's been a workhorse of a format. Phillips came up with DVD+R.. since they didn't want to get left behind in the DVD wars. (they made/invented CD so they wanted to maintain their presence in the dvd market as well)

Bottom line.. Compatibilty is high with the DVD-R type media on all units played on. Set Top players, XBOX, PS2, PC readers.. etc.

For some excellent.. and unbiased info..

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

There.. you can check compatibility.. but I've done some of the work for you..

DVD-R Compatibility 90%

DVD+R Compatibility 85%

Check those two links.. you'll find they are quite comprehensive. DVDRHELP is also one of the leading authorities in this area.

For more info.. and more states.. here's another great site.. www.cdrinfo.com

This site has a wonder article today.. with another thorough set of tests done.

Compatibility results: DVD-R=96.74% DVD+R=87.32%

CDR-Info, has determined that DVD-R is clearly the most compatible DVD recording format on the market. To assess the compatibility level of DVD Formats we created video content on a DVD writer using DVD-R/RW and +R/RW media. These discs were then played back in other DVD players and DVD-ROM drives ľover a 1,000 combinations of drive, media and player were tested.

The content created on a DVD-R/RW writer using a write once DVD-R disc played back in virtually all (96.1 percent) of the DVD players and DVD-ROM drives used in the research. DVD+R discs played back in 87.6 percent of the devices tested.

Since the market for recording to DVD has developed, and different formats have emerged, consumers have been concerned about the compatibility of their DVD recording devices with DVD players and DVD-ROM drives. The findings suggest that for customers who wish to create content on a DVD writer and interchange this with other PC drives and consumer DVD players, DVD-R is the clear format of choice.

For more info.. read the url above. It's a LONG read.. but very informative.

...and for those of you that like pictures... (thanks to CDRinfo)

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

#3 species8472

species8472

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for all the info man, ill get to reading that in a sec.

#4 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,218 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 04:53 PM

So.. in case I didn't make it clear.. get a burner that supports DVD-R. These days.. you can now get DUAL MODE burners from all of the DVD Burner manufacturers.. incloding the pioneer of the DVD blank format.. PIONEER (A06 is -R and +R)

smile.gif

Hope this was helpful.

I have more tests if you need to see them. smile.gif

#5 species8472

species8472

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 04:57 PM

I've been burning like dvd video's for video production for about a year now, and i'v been using a MAC superdrive (pioneer A04) but i want something faster for my pc, so i guess ill be getting a nice 4x dvd-r then.

#6 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,218 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 01:05 PM

Updated

#7 Sloane

Sloane

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 01:46 AM

So I guess that for my Thomson drive, I can use anything but Maxell DVD-R 4x on a Sony DRX-500UL?

#8 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 08 April 2004 - 05:29 AM

Part of the problem with brand name medias is that they don't manufacter thier own dye so there really isn't such a thing as a real Verbatim, TDK, ect. disc. I would go for Ritek or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R. Both are excellent quality and relatively inexpensive.

#9 Sloane

Sloane

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 02:54 PM

Thanks

#10 Kthulu

Kthulu

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE (Sloane @ Apr 7 2004, 09:46 PM)
So I guess that for my Thomson drive, I can use anything but Maxell DVD-R 4x on a Sony DRX-500UL?

stay away from Maxell DVD-R in general. this is a lesson i just learned. i have a thomson also. my first backups were on Maxell DVD-R with one of the Pioneer burners (A06, i think). for the most part they work, but i have to play the damn eject/reject game about 10 times. because of this, i started using Maxell DVD+R. my thomson drive loves them...never have to play eject/reject. i had already read the article at dvdhelp and figured i was safe (this was before this nice, clear and concise thread was created). well, i just modded a friends box and he has a sammy drive. after all my efforts, i have just discovered that it doesn't like my DVD+Rs...i'm very disappointed because i just spent hours tweaking shit on his box. now, i know all my work will be for naught because he only wanted to mod so he could borrow my backups.

#11 ockingshay

ockingshay

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 08:50 AM

I hate to be the person to disagree with you all but biggrin.gif i'm going to anyway.

Through much experience i have come to the conclusion that very good quality DVD+R media with the book-type set to dvd-rom is the best way.

DVD-+R are only read at a max of 8x where as pressed dvds are read at max (up to 16x) Now when Disc reading intensive games, such as top spin etc are played, you will find that using DVD-+r the game will sometimes skip or load times vastly increased. This can be reduced by very good media, but still there will be times that it skips.

To get around this, using DVD+R you can change the book-type (hardware dpendent) and set it to DVD-ROm which fools the X-box and many other players into thinking that it's a pressed disc, so it will read it at max speed.

Now the problem with this, is that the faster something is read, the more chance there are of read errors. This is where very good quality media comes in.

As people only have a few x-box games (compared to the potential hundreds of dvd films) it won't hurt too much to buy excellent quality media.

The best dye out there at the moment and has been for a long time is Taiyo Yuden (Yuden001 is just one example) This dye can be found in a few products, including obviously TY own-brand, Verbatim pastel, some sony and some plextor .

So to cut along story short, for best results buy TY DVD+R media and set the book-type to -Rom (also by changing the book-type to -Rom, you will greatly increase the compatability of the discs. They will play in a lot more xboxs than dvd-+R

Edited by ockingshay, 11 June 2004 - 08:55 AM.

#12 nigashorty

nigashorty

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:14 AM

that diagram looks difficult to read...i have a v1.0 xbox with a philips drive...only dvd recorder i have is a HP200i 2.4x that only burns +r and +rw's...will it work?

#13 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:21 AM

A quality +R disc should work just fine on your drive. However your burner is seriously lagging behind the times. You might run into incompatibility issues even with +R media that is rated at 8x since you only have a 2.4x DVD+R drive. It isn't gauranteed but it might be an issue. Anyways, take a look at the link in my sig for quality dye manufacturers, I list both -R and +R.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users