Photo

Xbox Shuts Off When I Switch Fan Voltages...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jreb892

Jreb892

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 10:00 PM

Well I put a few switches in my xbox to controll the lights, 4 extra 80mm fans and to switch the stock fan from 7v to 12v. I have some SPDT switches from radioshack that have 3 connectors on the back. I swich it one way and it connects 1 to 2, and if I switch it the other way it connects 3 to 4. I connect 2 to the + wire that goes to the fan, 1 to the 12v wire on the HDD power cable, and 3 to the 5v wire on the power cable (The pin that the fan originaly connected to is suposed to be 7v, but it is now 12 huh.gif ). The switch seems to work, but when I use it with the xbox on the xbox shuts down?!!? WHY!?!?!?!?!? HOW CAN I FIX THIS!?!?!?

#2 Blind_Samurai

Blind_Samurai

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 July 2003 - 10:05 PM

In one case it might be that you drain all the juice from the Xbox power supply (most unlikely, if you have only 4 fans, where only 2 work at a time).
OR (most likely) something in your wiring is wrong. Check the switches, cables, connections again.
OR Xbox power supply can't tolerate voltage jumps.
And why do you need 4 80mm fans PLUS stock fan blink.gif ?
Could you post a pic? I am just really curious how your box looks smile.gif .

Edited by Blind_Samurai, 19 July 2003 - 10:09 PM.

#3 Jreb892

Jreb892

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 11:56 PM

laugh.gif Guess what??? I also have a extra fan on my NVIDA CHIP! laugh.gif

The pics are kinda crappy, but you get the idea. I am very sure the xbox can handel the power usage, everything works, I just ave to restart it. ( besides I havent hooked any of the other fans up yet) I am also pretty sure my wiring is fine. I guess the xbox just can handel the jumps in power usage

Enjoy the crappy pics, and o yea those are front USB ports you see! (my xbox rules!)

(waiting for pics to upload...)

#4 Jreb892

Jreb892

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 02:15 AM

I have my xbox cooled down a lot! I have an extra V1.0 gpu fan on my NVIDA chip, two 80mm fans (four total) on each side of the case and the 12v mod. My cpu is always under 110 F, and the mobo is usualy around 80 F.
-=Crappy pics below=-
user posted image
(yea, I have 4 front USB ports too!)
user posted image

#5 Whatup1049

Whatup1049

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:22 AM

Nice Jreb my xbox is: MB 84F and CPU: 106

After 3 hours of halo coop!

Got AIM? I got pics of it too.

#6 Jreb892

Jreb892

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:35 AM

Well to add a bit more, the old temps were taken with the top off, with the top on I get like 77 and 104 cool.gif . With the 80mm fans off and the stock fan at 5v (quiet mode tongue.gif) I get 129 and 91.

When I suddenly switch setting the box shuts down, but if I wait a few seconds before usuing the switches the box does not shut down? WHY!?!??!

Also: I do have AIM, but what does that have to do with anything? Just post your pics

Edited by Jreb892, 21 July 2003 - 03:38 AM.

#7 baturkin17

baturkin17

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Interests:Music, Computers, Games, Sleep
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 July 2003 - 01:06 PM

thats pretty fucked up.

those fans look like poo.

i only have one 80mm fan in the back (replaced stock fan) and i get cpu 108 (about) after lots of gaming.

but i hacked off the grill in the back, it blocks alot of air from getting out of the xbox.

my xbox pumps out air like no other now, only a bit louder too.

#8 Jreb892

Jreb892

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (baturkin17 @ Jul 21 2003, 03:06 PM)
thats pretty fucked up.

those fans look like poo.

i only have one 80mm fan in the back (replaced stock fan) and i get cpu 108 (about) after lots of gaming.

but i hacked off the grill in the back, it blocks alot of air from getting out of the xbox.

my xbox pumps out air like no other now, only a bit louder too.

looks like poo? PPPPFFFFTTTTT dry.gif
You havent seen the xbox when it is all cleaned up, becuase it sure as hell does not like like poo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users