6 replies to this topic

#1 jerome187

jerome187

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 04:04 AM

Can you set up a network that includes the xbox? I have 2 computers, on running Red Hat 7.2 that is a webserver, and one that runs win xp pro and linux red hat 7.2, its a dual boot machine. Can i set up a network with these and the xbox? i have no idea how to do a linux network either, can anyone help me out? and will file transfers be faster if the xbox is on a network? I only have the orgional HHD and i dont plan on getting another one, can i set up linux and still have room for save games and maybe a xbox game or two?? thx for reading this and answer any questions you can plz.

#2 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (jerome187 @ Oct 12 2002, 03:04 AM)
Can you set up a network that includes the xbox? I have 2 computers, on running Red Hat 7.2 that is a webserver, and one that runs win xp pro and linux red hat 7.2, its a dual boot machine. Can i set up a network with these and the xbox? i have no idea how to do a linux network either, can anyone help me out? and will file transfers be faster if the xbox is on a network? I only have the orgional HHD and i dont plan on getting another one, can i set up linux and still have room for save games and maybe a xbox game or two?? thx for reading this and answer any questions you can plz.

Yes you can.

Setting up Linux networking is a different subject matter altogether.

You are best off going to the Linux Forums.

Also Mandrake has an idiot proof Networking configuration system. It looks a lot like Windows, only it does even more of the work for you.

Check it out! It's free for the download.

#3 jerome187

jerome187

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 05:05 AM

yeah, i will, sounds like fun, gotta make a ubs thingie now smile.gif o, and will the file transfers between computers be really fast? i dont like transfering 2 gig files at 30kbs.... i want 10 M per SECOND muhaha.gif yeah baby!

#4 jerome187

jerome187

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 07:15 PM

well? will i get fast file transfers? thats the main reason i want to do this, so i can backup games faster. can i still backup games??? i want to do something like this; boot linux, put in a xbox game, copy the files to the HHD, transfer the game files via LAN to my other computer with a DVD burner, and then burn the game using xISO and all that stuff. Will this work? or something simmilar to this seceniro? huh.gif

#5 bagel5009

bagel5009

X-S Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 0 posts
  • Interests:BANNED
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 12 October 2002 - 07:24 PM

it mostly depends on your connection and nic, but i dont see how a os can change speed, could be wrong

#6 jerome187

jerome187

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 07:40 PM

well i only get 30 kbs file transfer speed off the xbox, thats cause my cable instenet connection is limited to that speed, but if i have all the computers, the xbox, and the cable modem connected to a hub, i should get much faster file transfers? right?

#7 SpankMyXbox

SpankMyXbox

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 07:06 PM

I have seen files fly at 70 Mbits using Evox and FlashFXP (or some FTP program). Just using a ($20) 100Mbit Switch between the xbox and PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users