BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 July 2003 - 03:41 PM

As hacks will become a bit easier to implement, I think it's time we here people's suggestions for new BIOS hacks.

The idea I had is one that eliminates the clock check, or presets it if it's invalid.

I'd also like a BIOS that forces a boot to DVD no matter what (X2 BIOSes seem to have problem with this) - especially if there are problems with the HD

Thirdly, a BIOS shouldn't care if the EEPROM is hosed. The Debug BIOS boots fine with hosed EEPROMs, it's time we had a mod BIOS that did the same.

All three of these ideas are to minimize the many problems modders face using the current batch of 256k BIOSes. Now that code exists to implement patches and test more goodies, perhaps we'll see new BIOS hacking groups emerge on the Xbox Scene.

#2 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 03:42 PM

Oh... also, compatiblity with the Phoenix Loader for future BIOS releases... at least as a secondary release or a simple PPF patch (or maybe a tool?)

#3 muerte

muerte

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 22 July 2003 - 04:06 PM

FTP server built into the bios... have a bios setup screen, kinda like on PCs. You could do all the XB-Tool stuff off of your xbox (i can't see this working with anything but the pheonix bios loader though). I'll post again when I think of more.

#4 chilin_dude

chilin_dude

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 July 2003 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (muerte @ Jul 22 2003, 06:06 PM)
FTP server built into the bios... have a bios setup screen, kinda like on PCs. You could do all the XB-Tool stuff off of your xbox (i can't see this working with anything but the pheonix bios loader though). I'll post again when I think of more.

That bios editor on xbox seems nice!

#5 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 22 July 2003 - 06:23 PM

I wondered if ftp could be built into the bios. That would be an amazing dev if its possible. No more need to put this in dashboards. Great ideas BJ!!

#6 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (Xeero @ Jul 22 2003, 03:26 PM)
Similar to how the X2 BIOS patches XBEs with media checks on the fly, it would be nice if it would patch XBEs that attempt to connect to Live in the same manner.  It would be nice if it would display an error notifying the user, then load the dashboard.....of even just load the dashboard.  That would be sufficient, and I can't imagine it would be that difficult.

Especially with Live Aware coming out. Who knows how that will work "behind the scenes". I wonder when the time will come when people will need a second Xbox just for Live. I know I am glad I already got that.

Edited by shanafan, 22 July 2003 - 06:50 PM.

#7 vtex

vtex

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Beats, cars, xboxes and bitches ;)

Posted 23 July 2003 - 07:11 AM

There was a discussion a while back on making a BIOS hack that wouldn't boot from DVD first, however this would cause problems if the harddisk boot failed.

It would be really good if the BIOS would boot to say dvdboot.xbe instead of default.xbe so that a boot disk could always be made...

Final point though, it might be a good idea that whovever creates this hack, be it XbTool or by Xecuter team, decides on what the boot name is. That way we all have the same boot name for our bootdisks.

Also, a more stable - reliable IGR that just returns to Evox.

Edited by vtex, 23 July 2003 - 12:03 PM.

#8 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 01:27 AM

Also, a more stable - reliable IGR that just returns to Evox.

Have you tried X2's?

#9 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 05:12 AM

How about:

IN GAME SHUTDOWN.

We have IGR, but how about a controller combo that shuts the xbox power off? That would be awesome. (I don't want to do a controller mod, fixing a power switch, etc.)

#10 CASTOR_TROY

CASTOR_TROY

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 05:13 AM

connects to my fridge and a robot that work together to bring me beer

#11 assmonkey

assmonkey

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 05:22 AM

bootloader ,to chose dashboard
kinda like linux

Edited by assmonkey, 28 July 2003 - 05:23 AM.

#12 nickman

nickman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 28 July 2003 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (feflicker @ Jul 28 2003, 07:12 AM)
How about:

IN GAME SHUTDOWN.

We have IGR, but how about a controller combo that shuts the xbox power off? That would be awesome. (I don't want to do a controller mod, fixing a power switch, etc.)

Is it so hard to do a IGR and then select shutdown from the dashboard you are using ? wink.gif

#13 regulater7

regulater7

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 03:01 AM

When ever you load an xbe from the ms dash, it is automatically mounted as the D: this is to make it easier for the programmer, (those legal one's) any way

I think its msdash "security" but maybe this is bios bound? so i posted this in the bios forum, if someone cann tell me its not bios at all, then i will remobve.

the reason i dont want the MSDASH to mount every program it loads to D: drive, is because when i load EVOX from the ms dash, and i try to backup a game, instead of D: drive being the Disc, its the "EvoX" folder contents.....

#14 vtex

vtex

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Beats, cars, xboxes and bitches ;)

Posted 29 July 2003 - 07:06 AM

I think its msdash "security" but maybe this is bios bound? so i posted this in the bios forum, if someone cann tell me its not bios at all, then i will remobve.

i dont know if its security but its a pain in the arse.

Even loading from nexgen, evox is mounted as D:

#15 neo-dilly

neo-dilly

X-S Senior Member

• PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 29 July 2003 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (vtex @ Jul 23 2003, 09:11 AM)
There was a discussion a while back on making a BIOS hack that wouldn't boot from DVD first, however this would cause problems if the harddisk boot failed.

It would be really good if the BIOS would boot to say dvdboot.xbe instead of default.xbe so that a boot disk could always be made...

Use XBtool that can edit what file the xbox looks for on the cd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users