• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#151 NghtShd

NghtShd

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Trying to think of absolutely nothing for extended periods.
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 October 2003 - 08:15 PM

Hi BenJeremy,

Ugh.... I don't like this one.... it causes problems for us "dashboard" authors - the LBA48 table created for the X2 BIOSes locks up an Xbox solid if defined for "Big F:" and the app (such as MXM) attempts to access G:'s partition. This has to be a bug int he way the table is generated - it doesn't happen in the Evo-X BIOSes.

What I know about the LBA48 code is infinitesimal, but that sounds like an X2 bug since it works with Evox, unless maybe it has something to do with the wat the code is hooked in.

Perhaps the bug could be fixed, NghtShd? What is the difference in the way the two tables are generated? Could Partition7 ALWAYS be created, even if it's 0 length, if that's what's happening in Evo-X BIOSes?

I'm sure it could be fixed. What I've really been wanting lately is a serial port so I can get DbgPrint output. That would help with a lot of things.

I know Paul has been really busy lately, but maybe he could look into the issue if he gets some free time.

Does anyone know why Evox (the dashboard app) doesn't appear to have this problem (or does it)?

#152 stratjakt

stratjakt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 04:46 PM

I don't know if anyone has said it, but here's what I'd like to see..

Support for disc insert notification via ATAPI, like any computer does it, and not (only) through the yellow dongley doo that the xbox has added.

For folks like me that switch between a PC DVDRom and the XDVDRom it'd be a godsend. Evox (or whatever) could be notified and autorun, or at least let me browse a disc I just put in.

Now all I can do is the goofy trick where you put an original in the xbox dvd tray and close it just to kick the xbox into reading the TOC..

Logically, the next step would be having hitting the big eject button on the xbox send a proper ATAPI eject tray command..

#153 Zanime

Zanime

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 06:20 PM

How about a bios that lets us play custom soundtracks during games?

Now that would be awsome.

Is that even possiable?

#154 NooberTehGod

NooberTehGod

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 06:44 PM

Apparently the xbox has no multitasking capabilities, so I'd say without programing an mp3 player into each individual game, it's not possible.

Then again I'm far from being an expert...

[EDIT] oops, a BIOS that plays soudtracks, hmmm, that might work. It might make a huge bios though.... Not that anyone cares anymore now that you can use Pheonix Boot loader.

Now that I think about it, that should be done, it would kick ass. It should only support like mp3/ogg though, none of this windows media stuff the ms dash uses.

RelaX client too maybe?

Man I wish I knew enough about programming to implement this myself

Edited by NooberTehGod, 25 October 2003 - 06:48 PM.

#155 theplowking

theplowking

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (Cutriss @ Oct 21 2003, 11:15 PM)
You don't want 480p support in the BIOS. What you really want is 480p support in the dash. And, of course, that won't be happening anytime soon for xboxdash.xbe.

At least, as far as I understand it.

480p for xboxdash.xbe is possible....but you will have to modify it using the Progressive scan Patcher

get it from here

and 480p would be great to have in the bios as my tv wouldnt have to switch modes every time i boot it

idealy you would have this as an xbtool option (you reading this nghtshd smile.gif )

#156 Cutriss

Cutriss

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 October 2003 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (theplowking @ Oct 26 2003, 03:17 PM)
You don't want 480p support in the BIOS. What you really want is 480p support in the dash. And, of course, that won't be happening anytime soon for xboxdash.xbe.

480p for xboxdash.xbe is possible....but you will have to modify it using the Progressive scan Patcher

get it from here

and 480p would be great to have in the bios as my tv wouldnt have to switch modes every time i boot it

idealy you would have this as an xbtool option (you reading this nghtshd smile.gif )

What I meant is - You can modify xboxdash.xbe to support 480p, but you can kiss your Live EEPROM goodbye if you do so.

#157 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE (Cutriss @ Oct 27 2003, 08:27 PM)

get it from here

What I meant is - You can modify xboxdash.xbe to support 480p, but you can kiss your Live EEPROM goodbye if you do so.

That's not true - you just have 2 dash files making the naming the progressive one to something like pxboxdash.xbe and leave the original intact. Any settings changed in one are mirrored in the other just load the progressive one from Evox. This gives you a progressive xbox dash, cd, and dvd, player when you run it under your.

This appeals to two groups:

1) HDTV owners who like 480p (what's not to like) and don't want to watch all the squiggle from the transition between 480i and 480p when they change something in the dash.

2) People who use front projection systems that don't accept 480i through component cables (only 1080i, 720p, and 480p - don't knock it till you've tried Halo on a 90" screen). If these guys want to change a setting in their dash they have to turn off the xbox and attach a different video unit (RCA or Svideo) to their projectors and then switch back.

This is fairly relevant discussion on many high end audio/video boards where people have good equiptment and like to game using the Xbox. For the bios, group one doesn't like the shitty transition and group 2 can't see anything. Interestingly the ugly transition is still present when all animation and logos are disabled through XBTool, meaning that Xbox is still outputing a blank 480i signal.

I actually emailed the creator of XBTool the other day and he said he will take a look into it for future releases. There will be a lot of happy people the day we can check a box and redo our bioses in 480p.

#158 smo

smo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 03:35 PM

BIOS that wouldn't allow originals to run (so that you can't boot your original Xbox Live games by accident). This is only for people with easy mod disable function though.

#159 Cutriss

Cutriss

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 October 2003 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (ChrisF @ Oct 28 2003, 02:40 AM)
QUOTE (Cutriss @ Oct 27 2003, 08:27 PM)

get it from here

That's not true - you just have 2 dash files making the naming the progressive one to something like pxboxdash.xbe and leave the original intact. Any settings changed in one are mirrored in the other just load the progressive one from Evox. This gives you a progressive xbox dash, cd, and dvd, player when you run it under your.

This appeals to two groups:

1) HDTV owners who like 480p (what's not to like) and don't want to watch all the squiggle from the transition between 480i and 480p when they change something in the dash.

2) People who use front projection systems that don't accept 480i through component cables (only 1080i, 720p, and 480p - don't knock it till you've tried Halo on a 90" screen). If these guys want to change a setting in their dash they have to turn off the xbox and attach a different video unit (RCA or Svideo) to their projectors and then switch back.

This is fairly relevant discussion on many high end audio/video boards where people have good equiptment and like to game using the Xbox. For the bios, group one doesn't like the shitty transition and group 2 can't see anything. Interestingly the ugly transition is still present when all animation and logos are disabled through XBTool, meaning that Xbox is still outputing a blank 480i signal.

I actually emailed the creator of XBTool the other day and he said he will take a look into it for future releases. There will be a lot of happy people the day we can check a box and redo our bioses in 480p.

Point, but what I meant was that you'd not be able to modify xboxdash.xbe itself. In other words, if you were playing in retail-intact mode in order to use Live, then you wouldn't be able to modify the dash - just copy it and hack the new one.

So, my final and original point still stands - there is no way to completely enable 480p or any other progressive mode. One way or the other, you still have a crappy non-progressive MS dash to deal with, unless you want to abandon Live.

Someone elsewhere mentioned that he had actually contacted the company that developed the dash application, and said that the reason they didn't include 480p support in the dash was because they didn't believe at the time that the hardware supported 480p, and that, now that they had been corrected, they would contact MS to see about possibly including it in a future official release.

Of course, I have no way to verify that such a conversation ever took place, so it's rumor at best, but still, it's a logical possibility, and one we all hope for, I'm sure.

#160 NghtShd

NghtShd

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (smo @ Oct 29 2003, 11:35 AM)
BIOS that wouldn't allow originals to run (so that you can't boot your original Xbox Live games by accident). This is only for people with easy mod disable function though.

You already have that feature. Chage the DVD executable to something other than default.xbe.

#161 xboxistheshiznit

xboxistheshiznit

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 08:56 PM

how about somthing like IGR, but instead of reseting, it would shut the xbox off.

#162 smo

smo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (NghtShd @ Oct 29 2003, 10:13 PM)
You already have that feature. Chage the DVD executable to something other than default.xbe.

Yeah and re-burn all my DVD-R backups? That'd be way too much work..

#163 pdottz

pdottz

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 October 2003 - 03:59 PM

save state/load state for retail games and backups smile.gif

I'm currently working on this myself. But I think I might have to go the way that a trainer loads. maybe the way evox has the trainers folder. actually load before the game or something.

#164 NghtShd

NghtShd

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (smo @ Oct 30 2003, 04:31 AM)

Well, God forbid you should have to do any work. I'll just research, design, and write up a BIOS patch which only disables booting of originals but will detect a backup and allow booting, implement it for all supported BIOS's and then implement the patching interface in XBtool. It's not like that would be work compared to renaming the executable on your backups.

#165 theplowking

theplowking

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (NghtShd @ Oct 30 2003, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE (smo @ Oct 30 2003, 04:31 AM)

Well, God forbid you should have to do any work. I'll just research, design, and write up a BIOS patch which only disables booting of originals but will detect a backup and allow booting, implement it for all supported BIOS's and then implement the patching interface in XBtool. It's not like that would be work compared to renaming the executable on your backups.

This one goes out to teamX but if you know how to do this NghtShd by all means plz do

we know they can imbed stuff into the bios....so what about creating a rule (something like the windows hosts file) where you could specify xboxlive domain 127.0.0.1

so you could either embed that these domains are bad into the bios
or have the bios read it from a "hosts" file from the disk

hacked bios = no live
no one can complaign

I think a combo of the two would be great....
but thats just mho

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users