#1 SuSHi

SuSHi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 10:12 AM

my big hdd is buggered or something and i can't load the evoX dashboard off it

my original 8 gig hdd is fine in the system and has all the same files on it (evoX files saves and so on)

can i start the system with the 8 gig, load the evoX dash, then swap the 120 gig hdd into the system (power and IDE) and then be able to access data from it??

is this a possability at all??

i want all my save files and a couple of games that i havent' backed up

#2 whiffin

whiffin

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 11:41 AM

boot with EvoX CD

then FTP from PC

HTH

#3 trob

trob

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 12:01 PM

Turn it off, better yet unplug it first. Boot off evox and backup c: and e: from original hd. Power off and unplug, then swap disk quickly. Power on and boot off cdrw. If new hd is not partitioned and formated you must do so first. Once running copy evox to new hd then ftp backups to new drive.

#4 SuSHi

SuSHi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:00 PM

i don't think anyone really understands my situation

maxtor 120 gig: worked fine, has evoX as well as save files and 11 games ripped onto it, it just stopped working one day, it powers up and you can hear it spinning

original retail 8 gig: still works fine, has the same evoX files and appz just no games and no saves on it

SO, this means

1: the xbox and cables work fine

2: the problem is accessing the dashboard from the 120 gig hdd

so i want to start the system with the 8 gig, load up evoX dash successfully, then swap the 120 gig HDD WHILE THE SYSTEM IS STILL ON then access it by FTP. since the evoX base files are the same

also YOU CANNOT RUN ANY TYPE OF EVOX DISC WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO LOAD ANY DASHBOARD SUCCESSFULLY

the dashboard won't load even if i leave the dvd tray empty

#5 SupeRdUPErBlakE

SupeRdUPErBlakE

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, computing. Anything Geeky and I'm in. :)
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:09 PM

OR You could use a boot-cd and Overwright all your files evoX on your big HDD.

#6 SuSHi

SuSHi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:14 PM

when you say boot cd do you mean and evoX cd or slayer's auto installer??

because i can't run any discs with the 120 gig in my hdd since the dashboard won't load as i said in my last post

#7 X30n

X30n

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:23 PM

Ok look. this is why you can do if your 120 is not fucked. I would think it is because evox isnt loading from it.

Leave the 120 in.

Burn a evox boot cd (kinda like the one you start off with to get exov loaded) or use slayers autoinstall.

put the cd in your box and reboot.

slayer (or what ever you but on the cd) should load up.

from there, ftp into your xbox and copy what you want from you 120 if it is truely not fucked. (that would be your e drive and your games if you have the room)

Use slayers for this:

Re-format your 120 and do a large hd install.

remove slayers cd and reboot your box.

if your 120 isnt truely fucked, then evox should load up. If not, then get yourself a new hd.

Also, do not try a hotswap. Your not running a compaq proliant server or any other server that is able to do hotswap.

Edited by X30n, 23 July 2003 - 05:24 PM.

#8 shorty

shorty

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:39 PM

If you put a boot disk in the dvd drive and switch on, it will give the dvd priority over the dash (ie. the dash will not be loaded at all) it just loads whatever is on the cd/dvd straight off (default.xbe)

Unless your hdd is dead/dying then something must have gone wrong with your evo-x (i know you'll say you didn't change anything, but these things happen inadvertantly), or maybe you even have a bad sector where evo-x is on the drive, you could try re-installing it using the boot cd method already mentioned several times.

Anyway, if you hdd is spinning up but wont read in xbox or pc then maybe the hdd motherboard (not the xbox motherboard) is fried, i see this alot in my line of work (10Gb/20Gb fujitsu hdd anyone???) You can sometimes change the board.

I think there are ways to view the hdd while connected to your pc (not sure on that i forget, never have had the need to) you could try that.

If you cannot get it to read in xbox or pc then you could try the drop test, but its very technical, so you need to know what you are doing..... hehe

#9 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,743 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (SuSHi @ Jul 23 2003, 01:14 PM)
when you say boot cd do you mean and evoX cd or slayer's auto installer??

because i can't run any discs with the 120 gig in my hdd since the dashboard won't load as i said in my last post

you CAN run discs with no dashboard cuz the bios looks int eh dvd rom drive first, then loads the dash if theres nothing in there (unless of course you have all that autoload stuff turned in your dash, but that means your dash is loading)

to answer your question, no there is absolutely NO WAY to hot swap a hard drive

#10 lamt

lamt

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:58 PM

OK, a few things:
1- Hot swapping an IDE HDD is never a good idea as there is a high likelyhood that you will fry both your XBox and HDD. Hot swap items are engineered with protective circuits that will cut off power gracefully and safely. Never Hot swap a HDD that is not designed to do so.
2- Using an Evoloution X boot disk has nothing to do with the HDD it has to do with the BIOS being modded to boot non-MS signed disks.
3- The boot order of the XBox is DVD then HDD. So if you have an EvoX CD-RW boot disk it will boot the XBox for you regardless of the fact that the HDD is not booting.
4- Just because the HDD is spinning up does not mean that the HDD is not damaged. An easy way to check is to either connect your HDD to a computer and see if it gets recognized or not. If it is recognized then at least from an electronic standpoint you know it's not the IDE controller on the HDD.
5- Once you do that connect both HDD onto the XBox and be sure that the boot drive is the 8GB HDD (Original) and use a PC to FTP to the XBox to see if you can see any data. If not you just may have a bad HDD
Good Luck

#11 SuSHi

SuSHi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 08:34 PM

i think the IDE controller on the HDD is messed up

is there anything i can do about it?

#12 X30n

X30n

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 July 2003 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (SuSHi @ Jul 23 2003, 10:34 PM)
i think the IDE controller on the HDD is messed up

is there anything i can do about it?

get a new hd.

Edited by X30n, 23 July 2003 - 08:43 PM.

#13 shorty

shorty

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 09:24 PM

What lamt said..... it puts my thought train into a more understandable wording.

And what lord vader said about autoloading turned off in the dash..... i think he meant that you can have a bios that is set to boot from hdd all the time regardless of what is in the dvd tray, this would cause a evo-x boot cd to not do anything, also..... make sure your xbox can read the media type (cd-rw/cd-r/dvd-r....etc) as some just cant read certain disks.

So to sum up.... do not try hot swapping unless you want to buy a new box/hdd

What you can do about duff electronics on the hdd is swap the circuit board for one of the exact same model of hdd (doesn't even work on a some models)..... but you'd have to buy another drive and that would be kind of pointless....no?

anyway, good luck......

EDIT:: The drop test i mentioned earlier.... use only as a last resort when you have tried everything and you know its faulty and not you....... try dropping it from a few feet in the air (i know, but you would be surprised) this can work but is really aimed at mechanical failure, worth a try before you bin it though.......

Edited by shorty, 23 July 2003 - 09:28 PM.

#14 SuSHi

SuSHi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 12:50 AM

i'm sure i could find someone that thinks they could fix it and they can do what they like

#15 GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 07:45 AM

Well, be warned that if they hot swap you HDD, you'll likely need to buy a new Xbox (and HDD). In generally, unplugging/disconnecting anything from a motherboard that's not hot-swappable is seriously stupid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users