majik655

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 July 2003 - 04:42 AM

Has anyone figured out an answer to feezing on the X boot .. but if you either..
A: Start xbox with eject ... leaving tray open until dash loads ..
B: Start with power .. but when freezing on X logo.. press eject.. screen goes black.. then loads dash.

history:

Have modded PLENTY of xbox's more than 50..
only 2 xbox's show this problem.. ONLY thing that is constant in hardware is 120gig drives with 8mg cache .. however one is maxtor and MINE is WD.. Which I am referring to.

TSOP FLASHED - 4976.02 bios 1mg (used many many times)
3825 evox dash IGR off. evoxdash.xbe
Samsung dvd
120gig wd 8mg cache 7200

hard drive has been basically filled more than 4 times.. never formatted sinse beginning. (defrag??)

Now freezing during game play.. etc etc.. xbox acts totally fine.. other than this problem.

Anyone? reflashing bios is not an answer either.

Load any other hard drive.. boots fine. locked or unlocked.

#2 diablo996

diablo996

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 01:24 PM

It looks like you answered your own questions since you said that if you load any other HDD it boots fine. THe HDD is bad...get a new one.

#3 majik655

majik655

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (diablo996 @ Jul 25 2003, 07:24 AM)
It looks like you answered your own questions since you said that if you load any other HDD it boots fine. THe HDD is bad...get a new one.

Yeah.. however the 2 that are doing it are new hard drives.. so both just by chance are bad somehow?? I seriously doubt it.. I think it is more like the TYPE of hard drives rather than them being bad.. because I know for a fact they would work fine in a pc.

I was just hoping someone actually had a fix for it happening to them.

This happens to more than just a couple of people...
and the same thing happened with the 4975 ... hence why I skipped from 4974 to 4976.02

Anyway .. why would it work when pressing eject..? how is that a bad hard drive.

Anyone else?

#4 Intelligoth

Intelligoth

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 05:52 PM

Sounds like the 120s with 8MB cache are at issue. Drives are probably OK for PC use, but Xbox may not like them for some reason. Try a 2 or 4MB cache model instead.

#5 majik655

majik655

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (Intelligoth @ Jul 25 2003, 11:52 AM)
Sounds like the 120s with 8MB cache are at issue. Drives are probably OK for PC use, but Xbox may not like them for some reason. Try a 2 or 4MB cache model instead.

Yeah I am thinking the same thing... THANK YOU!

#6 diablo996

diablo996

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 07:53 PM

Well since this is the first I have heard about it I doubt that the 8mb cache has anything to do with it...I mean tons of people are using them and if it was an issue something would have been known by now. Since you said a different drive works fine, it wouldnt be the bios. But maybe...just maybe....you have a bad bios. Redownload it and reflash it and try again.

Also, did it always do this or just start happening one day? If it always did it...then I would suspect bios. If not, then it is the HDD. Good luck.

#7 jeks

jeks

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 07:59 PM

I Have this problem with a 120gig Maxtr 8mb cache,7200rpm , the box starts about 1time of 3... I have a soft-modded xbox with the pheonix bios loader

#8 Intelligoth

Intelligoth

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 08:26 PM

It could just have something to do with the firmware on the specific drive brand and model that he's using. I saw similar behavior on an IBM eServer with a certain type of hard drive. IBM at least was aware of the problem and posted it in a knowledge base. I'm sure that 8MB caches aren't the problem nor the size of the drive really. It could just be that the firmware design on that model of drive is fine in a PC, but produces unexpected behavior on an Xbox. That being said, I doubt that many drive manufacturers rigorously test their large format drives for Xbox applications.

#9 LEDHaywire

LEDHaywire

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 08:56 PM

If you are using a soft modded box you will expirience problems. A flashed Tsop and an unlocked box are your answer to this problem. My best reccomendation is to use any slayers install CD past version 2.0. After flashing my tsop i placed the drive in my xbox straight out of its packaging, slayers evox cd did the rest automatically ( using the format large HD option ). I have not had a problem since, as a matter of fact my box is loaded with 20 Divx movies and 8 games using a WD WD1200jr 120GB /w 8mb Cache @7200 RPM. I cant sign on to live ( which is gonna die out by the end of the year )., but who cares. I Have a kick @$$ multimedia station. The only problem Im having at the moment is the newest CVS compile of XBMP ( buggier than lice on a homeless mans hair ), but that is a topic that should be addressed on a different post. Its not too hard to solder the bridge points on both sides of the board. TSOP YOUR BOX!!!!!!. (Remember to solder a switch for each contact point, MS is bound to implememnt games that will check the bios, then flash a corrupted rom into your bios to fuxor your box). Once Tsopped, set the switches to disable any kind of flash. If you solder them straight your taking a vulnerable risk.

#10 majik655

majik655

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 11:13 PM

THANK YOU ALL FOR REPLYING..

To answer a few things..

I have had many many xbox's .. and only like 2 120gig drives.
other 120giger no probs what so ever.

this one.. is tsop flashed. AAAND does have multibios with switch.. locked.
this hard drive can be locked fine..

however.. I just did one (which caused me to write this thread)
and it DOES NOT have multi bios.. and no switch of course.. and is UNLOCKED (same thing happened) this hard drive cannot be locked..

so .. different bios's .. different kernels.. different hard drives (yet both 8mg cache) .. same bios (kinda) 1 is 512 and other is 1mg.

Now .. it does NOT freeze when loading original bios switched... *shrug*
so that means bios .. or DASHBOARD ..

I am starting to think it is the dashboard.

the reason why..
I believe evox searches for the games on the hard drive before booting.. (basically during the x logo) .. so could it be possible..
you know those games that just have outrageous amounts of files..?? on top of having 4 FULL emu 's and rom releases..

like .. this may only be happening on drives with "certain" combination of games that have larger than life file quantities??

Thanks again for the replies..
but re flashing with fresh bios.. is not the problem .
and neither is locking or unlocking hard drive.

if it is loading .. and freezes.. if I turn it off and turn it on VERY quickly .. it seems to work better...

Really trying to figure this one out..
I am still looking or wondering about the hard drive kernel or version numbers like said earlier.. but doubt it .

THANK YOU!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users