9 replies to this topic

#1 Tuschedz

Tuschedz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 03:41 AM

Well, the motive behind this post is basically to make myself feel better abut hacking up my Xbox a bit. I have already performed this mod and everything seems to be working. I had to drill a bit, file a bit, and even snap off the lever on my CPU. I'm pretty anal about that sort of thing. After doing this and seeing how everything is arranged inside, I am wondering if I am any better off than before. I haven't actually modded the box yet. The chip is in the mail, and I have a 120 Gig 7200 RPM ready to go. I certainly don't want the box to overheat, and I figured I would get this little project out of the way.

Has anyone here performed this mod and noticed a difference or gotten rid of any problems. I've heard you can check the Xbox temperature with EvoX. Has anyone measured how much this affects the temperature? What is the temp of an Xbox with a standard drive and how close does this mod get a box equipt with a 7200 RPM drive to that?

Did I accomplish anything?

#2 trob

trob

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 03:46 AM

Here is my hd fan mod recommendation.
Beef up the case fan to an 80mm, also clear some airflow for it by using the dremel on the case. Dremel out some vents in the hd tray directly infront of the fan. This will allow the fan to pull air through the tray beneath the hd and will assist in cooling the hd.

#3 NeO529

NeO529

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 27 July 2003 - 03:48 AM

maybe someday my dremel will arrive...

#4 trob

trob

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 03:53 AM

Just go to wally-world.

#5 NeO529

NeO529

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 04:01 AM

i got a full set w/ 60 pieces and wireless dremel for 20 on ebay... the status is shipped... still waiting

#6 Tuschedz

Tuschedz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (trob @ Jul 27 2003, 05:46 AM)
Beef up the case fan to an 80mm, also clear some airflow for it by using the dremel on the case. Dremel out some vents in the hd tray directly infront of the fan. This will allow the fan to pull air through the tray beneath the hd and will assist in cooling the hd.

That would require even more modification. I generally don't like to do anything to anything that cannot be reversed.

#7 Blind_Samurai

Blind_Samurai

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 27 July 2003 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (Tuschedz @ Jul 27 2003, 11:44 PM)
QUOTE (trob @ Jul 27 2003, 05:46 AM)
Beef up the case fan to an 80mm, also clear some airflow for it by using the dremel on the case.  Dremel out some vents in the hd tray directly infront of the fan.  This will allow the fan to pull air through the tray beneath the hd and will assist in cooling the hd.

That would require even more modification. I generally don't like to do anything to anything that cannot be reversed.

Than do a 12V fan mod. It surely can be reversed easily tongue.gif .

#8 DeltaX2

DeltaX2

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 11:20 PM

yup smile.gif Very effiecient.

-Mike

#9 Tuschedz

Tuschedz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 05:01 AM

Well, I've already done the mod. I was just wondering if it actually helped anything at all. I'll never have anything to compare its performance to since I added the fan before I added the harddrive.

What temperature does a normal Xbox run?

#10 Senates684

Senates684

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 05:13 AM

normal xbox temps are around 112/130F something/55C

I ordered this so I can adjust the temps/noise to meet my needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users