deka

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:Xbox
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 15 October 2002 - 05:29 AM

Ok I'm gonna start over and include every detail and setting I think you might find useful.

The Problem: Cannot FTP to/from the xbox (EvolutionX does not pick up IP)
Network Setup: 2 NIC Cards (1 from Cable modem; 1 to Xbox)
Computer IP: 10.xx.xx.xx (Assigned by DHCP (Dynamic IP))
Xbox IP: 192.168.0.2
Xbox Subnet: 255.255.255.0

I cannot manage to get FTP working between the Xbox and the PC. Some have told me that I need to set my PC IP to a Static IP but I cannot do that. My Cable connection's IP is assigned by DHCP...It can never be static. Do I have to allow DHCP to assign Xbox an IP everytime I power it up? I don't mind having to look up the Xbox IP everytime I want to FTP, just as long as I can FTP. Now I was also told that I need to keep my PC IP and my Xbox IP in the same Subnet. In which case I set my xbox IP to 10.0.0.250. This still did not work. I'm almost desperate here to get this working. If you have networking experience or have had this same problem, please reply and help me out.

Keep in mind that I have AOL Cable which uses DHCP to obtain an IP. If I were to sign on and back on to AOL I would have a different IP. Thanks in advance.

#2 MrEs

MrEs

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 October 2002 - 05:56 AM

just unplug your cable and setup a local network, makes it many times easier.

#3 deka

deka

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:Xbox

Posted 15 October 2002 - 06:23 AM

And keep the xbox as 192.168.0.2?

#4 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE (bwn82k @ Oct 15 2002, 04:29 AM)
Ok I'm gonna start over and include every detail and setting I think you might find useful.

The Problem: Cannot FTP to/from the xbox (EvolutionX does not pick up IP)
Network Setup: 2 NIC Cards (1 from Cable modem; 1 to Xbox)
Computer IP: 10.xx.xx.xx (Assigned by DHCP (Dynamic IP))
Xbox IP: 192.168.0.2
Xbox Subnet: 255.255.255.0

I cannot manage to get FTP working between the Xbox and the PC. Some have told me that I need to set my PC IP to a Static IP but I cannot do that. My Cable connection's IP is assigned by DHCP...It can never be static. Do I have to allow DHCP to assign Xbox an IP everytime I power it up? I don't mind having to look up the Xbox IP everytime I want to FTP, just as long as I can FTP. Now I was also told that I need to keep my PC IP and my Xbox IP in the same Subnet. In which case I set my xbox IP to 10.0.0.250. This still did not work. I'm almost desperate here to get this working. If you have networking experience or have had this same problem, please reply and help me out.

Keep in mind that I have AOL Cable which uses DHCP to obtain an IP. If I were to sign on and back on to AOL I would have a different IP. Thanks in advance.

We've been thru the reasons why this may not work.

Even the "setup a local network" skirts the issue, which is that basically you are trying to get your Xbox to "live" on your ISP's LAN (subnet).

Your choices are to either install an internet sharing device such as a DSL/CABLE SHARING/Router or to PRIVATE STATIC IP everything (loosing internet connectivity!), or install a second LAN card on your PC.

The last approach is the cheapest, and the first is the best one, as it will give you Xbox live capability too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users