• 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 July 2003 - 08:07 PM

Blaze's
Home Arcade
Twin Shock

Overall Rating
98%

Type of Hardware
Dual Arcade Controller (with Force Feedback)

'You'll need a big coffee table for this one, but it's like taking a chainsaw to an arcade game case and running off with the 'control-ie' part...''

Control
    This is an arcade stick - a digital arcade stick. As you would expect, an analog controller would give you better precision. However, arcade sticks are rarely about precision, but instead are for games that focus more on button slapping mayhem. The Twin Shock offers a host of full-sized arcade style buttons giving your fingers ample 'frenzied attack' breathing room. The stick itself appears to be fresh out of an arcade - No, REALLY! You'll need a big coffee table for this one, but it's like taking a chainsaw to an arcade game case and running off with the 'control-ie' part. You get two complete controllers built into one slick unit. Each side has an arcade style joystick, eight buttons in a 'fighter' layout, and a button for setting turbos, one for clearing turbos, and a 'slow' feature. Ther are also two sets of 'START' and 'SELECT' buttons, located in the center of the unit. The Twin Shock Arcade unit is intended for use with the 'Home Arcade System', although four of the six rubber feet are on the outer edges of the bottom, too far to hold it fast to the H.A.S. I did find that relocating the two rubber feet closest to the front on either side inwards far enough to rest on the H.A.S. controller surface provided ample traction with little fuss. (However, for 'tournament sessions', I break out a pair of short bungie cords and strap that sucker in place!) This is an excellent controller for fans of old school fighters.

Learning Curve
    If you play arcade games (you know, in the arcades?), then you'll feel right at home with the Twin Shock. There is a certain amount of 'getting used to' required for arcade sticks, especially since Sony's original button layout does not lend itself to direct translation to an arcade style. Blaze adopted a modified layout, 'forcing' the buttons into a 'fighter style' layout that will require a little bit of practice to get a firm grasp on, but this layout allows for easy access to all of the buttons in a fairly ergonomic layout. Once you get past that, you're set. There is a 'Slow' feature and a 'Turbo' feature which may be used, if desired. However, since the 'Slow' feature is based off of the 'Pause' button, most of the newer games won't be able to use this feature. The turbo feature is more useful, but is simple to use and won't increase the learning time required by any significant amount.

Playability
    The Twin Shock stick is a very well designed arcade stick, and provides a solid, 'old-school' controller which is a natural complement to the resurgence of 'retro games' which are flooding the market. Also, with two arcade sticks in one, the Twin Shock is the ultimate 'equalizer'/contest controller. You're both playing under the same conditions, head to head. If you get beat, you have nothing to whine about... If you want to 'take the arcade home with you', then the Twin Shock is the closest thing this side of using a chainsaw to liberate some hardware from your local arcade. It combines high quality arcade components with a design that gives you a genuine arcade feel.
Features

Dual Shock Compatible with Really Nice Feedback
Slow Motion Feature (Pause Based)
Arcade Quality Joysticks with Excellent Centering
Dual Sticks in One Unit
Independent Button Turbo
Realistic Arcade Design and Size
Drawbacks & Problems
    Let's see... The layout is in a 'fighter' style configuration, which takes a little getting used to, as it puts the 'X' and 'O' buttons side by side. This setup does, however, allow quick and easy access to the eight buttons (X,O,Triangle, Square, and the four shoulder buttons). Also, the full sized buttons help to compensate for the modified layout.

All this for $50!!!!! Then Psx to xbox converter = $10 and you have a similar to X-Arcade for $60... i'm investing in one of these and thought i'd inform you all of it!

#2 GLiTcH

GLiTcH

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 July 2003 - 08:30 PM

show pic of the controller n link..
i need one

#3 al_moranas

al_moranas

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 09:09 PM

Is that thing made out of plastic? Let us know when you get it chillin dude.

#4 Yod@

Yod@

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 10:02 PM

I have one of these and it's pretty good - much better button layout than the X-Arcade! tongue.gif

And yeah, it's made out of plastic, but has a metal base.

So where are you getting yours from, chilin_dude?

#5 dasslock

dasslock

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 10:40 PM

user posted image
There you go

Edited by dasslock, 31 July 2003 - 10:53 PM.

#6 GLiTcH

GLiTcH

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 10:49 PM

link to where i can order one... biggrin.gif

#7 MowAlon

MowAlon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 11:02 PM

I saw these at an Electronics Boutique a couple years ago. In my opinion, they're trash. Definitely not an arcade feel. Then again, I've built my own, so I'm kind of picky, but please don't expect arcade quality out of it. You can see just by looking at the buttons that they are convex rather than concave. For some reason, almost every mass-marketed arcade stick I've seen in stores has convex buttons and they all feel like absolute junk (not just because they are convex, the resistance is also very weak.)

If you are interested in building your own stick, all you need is a sturdy box, an official controller you're willing to sacrifice (and solder to,) and the parts from http://www.happcontrols.com

Happ Controls is where lots of actual arcades buy their parts from. I'm a fan of the "Ultimate Joystick" and "Ultimate Pushbuttons." You can also find the same stuff on eBay.

-MowAlon

#8 dasslock

dasslock

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 11:02 PM

Can't find any. It seems to be to old: http://www.blaze-gear.com

#9 RayTwoOneThree

RayTwoOneThree

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 01 August 2003 - 03:11 AM

Man that controler sucks!I have a X-Arcade thats the best besides The Hot Rod ,and building your own.I wouldnt take that piece of crap if someone would offer it for free!

#10 WilliamDecker

WilliamDecker

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 04:22 PM

A buddy of mine said he picked up one of these at EB for $40 CDN, and he said it wasn't an amazing contoller, but was very solid. Doesn't move around a lot when using it, but like was mentioned before the joystick is a little loose.

Good for Tekken according to him, bad for Street Fighter (what I want it for).

I like very tight joysticks, so this is quite a disappointment to me biggrin.gif

#11 SlimDady

SlimDady

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 06:25 PM

i had a friend who picked that up when we were all really into MVC2 on dreamcast.. he thought it was a little cheap so i got the extra warrenty incase it broke..

Let me tell u this kid is hardcore.. always playing.. stick still lasted.

By no means is it the same quality as the xarcade.. but its pretty decent

#12 shadowjin

shadowjin

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:All my fears are named Dave.

Posted 04 August 2003 - 08:02 PM

Jin's Custom Stick (Unpainted) Pic 1

Jin's Custom Stick (Unpainted) Pic 2

Jin's Custom Stick (Unpainted) Pic 3

heh

-jin

#13 GLiTcH

GLiTcH

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (shadowjin @ Aug 4 2003, 10:02 PM)
Jin's Custom Stick (Unpainted) Pic 1

Jin's Custom Stick (Unpainted) Pic 2

Jin's Custom Stick (Unpainted) Pic 3

heh

-jin

i cant c anything.. blink.gif

#14 NaughtyNu

NaughtyNu

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 08:15 PM

Add a ? behind the link.

Silly Yahoo linkage

#15 chilin_dude

chilin_dude

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 08:15 PM

for those asking http://www.chipsworl...roductCode=3056 is where you can get it in UK...
Just saw http://www.games-chi..... One/ps19.jpg That as well laugh.gif

user posted image
Look at that version of it biggrin.gif

Edited by chilin_dude, 04 August 2003 - 08:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users