• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Videogamebuyer14

Videogamebuyer14

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts
  • Interests:cars, girls, building computers, making techno, etc. All the good stuff.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 August 2003 - 11:23 PM

Instructions for installing a pc CD-ROM drive inside of your xbox.

Materials Needed:
Pc Cd-Rom Drive
Y Power Splitter
Xbox...
-----

Step 1.
------
Open the xbox, and remove the cover. Pull out the Hard drive and remove the IDE and power cables.
Next, take your CD-ROM Drive and place it, on top of the xbox dvd rom drive. Connect the middle
part of the IDE cable to the CD-Rom drive. Be sure to set the cd drive in "Slave" mode. Then, if
have a replacement hard drive, make sure it's set in "Master". You can do this by adjusting your
jumper settings. Do not ask here, how to do that.

Step 2.
------
Place the Hard drive back inside of the xbox, but make sure you are holding the power cable in
your hand, and loop it back through the hole in the hdd tray. Next, take your Y power splitter,
and connect it to the xbox's molex power cable. Now, you should have two cables. Take the closest
one and connect it to the hard drive, and the farthest one should go into the Cd-Rom drive. Then,
connect the last (3rd) part of the IDE cable into the hard drive, and you are all set to go.

Usage:
------
Playing Backups from CD-R
Finally Being Able to Listen/Copy burned music to the Xbox
Being able to watch DivX, Mpeg, and MOV files on the xbox, thru CD-R in XBMP.
Other usages are free to use to you.

I take no personal responsibility, if you kill yourself or your xbox. This information should be
performed with the utmost care, so as not to cause damage to you or your xbox. Enjoy.

**Mods, if you feel that this is worthy of posting, please feel free to do so.**
Also, feel free to leave comments about the tut.

+-=[{Videogamebuyer14}]=-+

Illustration

user posted image

#2 Blind_Samurai

Blind_Samurai

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 02 August 2003 - 01:36 AM

I think your tutorial is pretty neat. But really there are already 2 tutorials that describe the same purpose of connecting PC DVD-ROM... sad.gif . But I like your more..... biggrin.gif .

#3 Videogamebuyer14

Videogamebuyer14

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts
  • Interests:cars, girls, building computers, making techno, etc. All the good stuff.

Posted 02 August 2003 - 02:04 AM

Hehe. Well, the benefits of this tutorial, is to explain why and how you should use a PC CD-ROM drive.

#4 shrike

shrike

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 04:06 AM

I am very new but can you play a backup cd-r of an xbox game with a pc cdrom drive??
you don't need a mod chip installed??
thanks,
shrike
muhaha.gif

#5 Videogamebuyer14

Videogamebuyer14

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 05:18 AM

Yes, you can play a backup cd-r of an xbox game with a pc cdrom drive. No, you still need a mod chip. The 2048 bit encryption key is still there in the bios, and still does a check.

#6 Brittuf

Brittuf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 05:38 PM

Im using my PC DVD drive to flash my x2.1 lite chip with eht x2-4975 bios. I keep getting mounting problems. I put a dummy zip file of 100mb on the disk too and followed all the burning instructions for nero. Do i need to do something different because I'm using a PC dvd Drive. Please Help
ISOFS: The error it gives me is unable to read I-node block

#7 Blind_Samurai

Blind_Samurai

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 09:18 PM

If you use the usual PC DVD drive to boot what you need you don't need to put any dummy files (unless specified by tutorial). The PC DVD should read the CD as it is (I mean with any amount of data burned on it, even if it is a couple of mb).

#8 Jacob2003

Jacob2003

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 01:08 AM

I'm considering using this to run my linux install cd. I cant get any of my cdrw's to erase with my new burner. And linux doesn't appear to be installable from the HD. (sent over ftp) But anyways my question is will this work with a software mod?

#9 Blind_Samurai

Blind_Samurai

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (Jacob2003 @ Aug 3 2003, 03:08 AM)
I'm considering using this to run my linux install cd. I cant get any of my cdrw's to erase with my new burner. And linux doesn't appear to be installable from the HD. (sent over ftp) But anyways my question is will this work with a software mod?

Do you mean if can you swap the original xbox DVD drive with PC one if you used a Dashboard Exploit or something else in this area?
Yes it will work, it does not depend if you have a modchip, TSOP flash. The drive swap should work.

Edited by Blind_Samurai, 03 August 2003 - 02:33 AM.

#10 Jacob2003

Jacob2003

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 02:38 AM

Yes thats what I mean, so I could burn it on a cdr and install it with a pc cdrom. Thanks.

#11 Videogamebuyer14

Videogamebuyer14

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 03:16 AM

I installed GentooX awhile back from a Cdr using this information. Enjoy.

#12 unsc1

unsc1

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 August 2003 - 03:21 AM

I cant get my slayers auto installer working do you think if i did this it would work.

#13 da_frog

da_frog

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Chilling

Posted 03 August 2003 - 03:53 AM

OMG ohmy.gif I just got my pc dvd rom in today i installed it using your tut and BAM IT WORKS THANK YOU

YOUR ON MY LIST OF PEOPLE THAT ROCK

cool.gif

#14 Videogamebuyer14

Videogamebuyer14

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 03:59 AM

QUOTE (da_frog @ Aug 3 2003, 05:53 AM)
OMG ohmy.gif I just got my pc dvd rom in today i installed it using your tut and BAM IT WORKS THANK YOU

YOUR ON MY LIST OF PEOPLE THAT ROCK

cool.gif

Believe it or not, it was for a CD ROM not DVD, but same concept. biggrin.gif

#15 yardguy00

yardguy00

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 05:47 PM

ive been trying to get this to work... but havent so far.... the only thing i can figure is either my xbox doesnt like my choiice of cd roms or mabe i dont have the slave and master situation done right... even tho it LOOKS like i did

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users