• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Goose

Goose

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 03:59 PM

I'm looking into getting a DVD burner, but Im really confused about what I need +/-, what drive, etc.. My question is does the burner make a difference in whether the media will be read in certain drives... for example, if i had a high-end burner and a low-end burner, and I burned the exact type of media at the exact same speed and settings, would the low end dvd read in less drives or is it just the name brand that you pay for? because im looking at an OPTORITE DD0203, and its cheap and does both +/-, and im wondering if the quality of this drive would be comparable to drives which are 100$ more. Thanks.

#2 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 August 2003 - 05:20 PM

Just get a Pioneer 106/a06, a bottle of J.D. and party on.

Of course, I expect Xeero to reply with more technical info. any second now... beerchug.gif

BTW no the burner doesn't make much difference, just the media.

Edited by Mr Ed, 02 August 2003 - 05:21 PM.

#3 * illusion *

* illusion *

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 02 August 2003 - 06:36 PM

I got an Ikebana 2.4X+ at CompUSA for $99 after rebates. I think its a great drive, havent had any problems with it. Xbox reads all the disks.

#4 lesslinger

lesslinger

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 07:46 AM

i have 4 burners. i have a que dvd, pioneer a03, hp, and a cendyne +/- 4x.

Que DVD has been with me the longest. Only 1x but i love it. never have had a prob.

a03 is shit. since i have had the drive, i've nothing but probs. do a test and perfect, run the real thing and spits out my disc i 2 min. ruining it also. SUCKS!!!!!

HP is cool, but media expensive

Cendye has been very good so far. tried 4x and all media and all works great! Also, cendyne drive slowest record speed is 2x for -r so all my 1x media records at 2x. And not a problem yet. (knock on wood)

#5 hypnoticbob

hypnoticbob

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 01:34 PM

Get the Plextor PX-708a. Retails for about 350, and so worth it... only drive on the market that will do 8x dvd+r and 4x everything else (err, does 2x for -rw)wink.gif 40x24x40 for regular burning also. Fastes Dual drive there is. and it's plextor... wink.gif

Edited by hypnoticbob, 03 August 2003 - 01:35 PM.

#6 BGreet

BGreet

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 10:00 PM

The new drive from optorite has gotten nothing but rave reviews. Its both 4x dvd-r/w and dvd+r/w. On top of this is has a special burn type called hdd burn which allows you to burn 1.4 gigs onto a normal cdr, and can be read on a dvd drive. Saves you money in the long run due to the price difference in dvds and cdrs. You might want to check it out.

#7 hypnoticbob

hypnoticbob

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 01:23 PM

i've been hearing good things about optorite stuff, but Plextor is still the best, hands down wink.gif

#8 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (BGreet @ Aug 3 2003, 04:00 PM)
The new drive from optorite has gotten nothing but rave reviews. Its both 4x dvd-r/w and dvd+r/w. On top of this is has a special burn type called hdd burn which allows you to burn 1.4 gigs onto a normal cdr, and can be read on a dvd drive. Saves you money in the long run due to the price difference in dvds and cdrs. You might want to check it out.

Oh great, another weird proprietary format! That's all we need. 1.4GB CDs?? Whatever. muhaha.gif

#9 muerte

muerte

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 05:16 PM

user posted image

what a bad translation to english lol!

#10 ChunBlue

ChunBlue

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 06:15 PM

Wow !

Almost as bad as "all your base are belong to us". jester.gif

#11 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 06:17 PM

That was stunningly bad. Not just because of the bad translation, but just that someone would make the damn thing.

I'd delete this thread, but I'm too stunned to hit the admin menus. jester.gif

#12 BGreet

BGreet

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 06:36 PM

Hahaha that is hilarious. Never saw that. But actually its not a proprietary format per-se as it does work with current dvd players already, and simply makes more use of already pre-existing cdr's. A good way to save a buck, and it also has good burn speeds on top of that. To each his own however, and I dont believe that by simply talking about a burner, or a feature of a burner warrants the closure of a thread. smile.gif

#13 * illusion *

* illusion *

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 07:36 PM

rotfl.gif

#14 Goose

Goose

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 08:26 PM

Why would you delete this post? That image is directly off of the Optorite site. Yea, its a ridiculous diagram, but this post is about DVD drives and not about the picture. I'm looking into buying a DVD burner, and I find the resources provided by people who post on this forum to be very helpful.

#15 Knocks

Knocks

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 06:58 PM

The Optorite doesn't work with all media for Xbox backup purposes, so you should do a bit more research first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users