17 replies to this topic

#1 black knight

black knight

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 11:21 PM

Well, I've been playing with this damn mod chip all day, and I decided to remove it and the d0 and try to boot.

Guess what?? Xbox still frags.

I've checked all over the board for traces lifting and solder splashes, but can't find any. Is a lifted trace easy to detect, or is it a subtle thing? Is there any other reason for my xbox to frag? it is a 1.0, and before i put the chip in yesterday, everything was working.

#2 {{909}}

{{909}}

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 11:48 PM

lifted tracks are easy to spot, what mod were you trying to fit? if it was an x2 or similar then theres only the D0 that could be fuxxed really, unless you were really really clumsy.

#3 black knight

black knight

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 12:03 AM

no it's a cheap mod.

i thnk its' time for a few drinks. i've benn pissing around with this SOB the entier weekend, and i need some beers.

i thought i was a decent solderer, now i have a fubared xbox. what a crock of shiste.

#4 black knight

black knight

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 01:08 AM

bump

is there any other reason for fragging???

#5 WodMan

WodMan

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 02:20 AM

is there any other reason for fragging???

There are only a few possiblilites if you get a FRAG:

1. Mod has no/bad BIOS on it.

2. Hard drive has no xboxdash.xbe or evoxdash.xbe (depending on bios)

3. Motherboard is fu@ked.

Of course there are other reasons like your hard drive is unlocked with M$ bios, things like that. However with a mod installed (and in your case then removed) it is one of these.

Edited by WodMan, 03 August 2003 - 02:20 AM.

#6 black knight

black knight

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 12:12 PM

well wodman, considering your options below....

1. mod is disabled and still fragging, so this isn't it.

2. i never changed the dash since i couldn't get the chip to work in the first place.

3. i hope not, but it looks likely.

if you can think of anything else, let me know.

#7 gorf24

gorf24

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 12:19 PM

I am having a similar problem I am getting frag when I boot in x box mode with mod chip off. Mod chip works fine. Would it not boot properly if I had the hard drive set up for evolution x when it's in x box mode? I removed the chip, and it is still frag.

Thanks

#8 {{909}}

{{909}}

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 12:43 PM

gorf it sounds like your fucked up the xbox dash when u installed evox, check the filenames of the Dash's.

black knight, in yor situation if you dont have a mod or D0 wire in you must have a solder splash or similar.

the only other thing could be the TSOP is bad somehow, i would usually say this was impossible if you hadnt tryed to flash it but i had one just die on me, after that iy displayed continuity across alot of the bios points whre it should not, it ended up in my spare parts bin sad.gif

#9 black knight

black knight

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 01:01 PM

well, i think i found my problem. i had some splash yesterday that i cleaned up, but in the process, i burnt a capacitor. the problem is, i can't seem to get the solder to melt to remove the cap. anybody have any tips/suggestions for removing a cap?

#10 bigga

bigga

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 03 August 2003 - 01:07 PM

Click here for a tutorial that might help

#11 black knight

black knight

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 01:37 PM

well, luckily, i didn't bust that cap bigga. it is the one near the ethernet connection, rated at 22uF, 25V. it is a bigger, cylindrical one. I am just having a hell of a time trying to get the solder to melt. any suggestions?

#12 WodMan

WodMan

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 01:53 PM

I've checked all over the board for traces lifting and solder splashes, but can't find any.

well, i think i found my problem. i had some splash yesterday that i cleaned up

dry.gif

#13 black knight

black knight

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 02:26 PM

hey wodman. before posting any jackass replies, read the whole post.

i had some splash yesterday that i cleaned up, but in the process, i burnt a capacitor

i was implying that i currently don't have any solder splashes. now are you here just for shits and giggles, or are you going to help people out.

#14 FIREitUP

FIREitUP

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 2 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 03 August 2003 - 03:12 PM

shit which capacitor did you lift? the one next to the lpcs? ive heard this happen before. check on the forum, maybe someone has some for sale...

#15 black knight

black knight

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 03:39 PM

no it is the cap next to the ethernet port (c7b7). it's a decent size one (22uF). i ended up just pulling the top cover with the filament from the wires, so i just have two leads in the holes now. if worse comes to worse, i'll just solder the new cap to the leads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users