9 replies to this topic

#1 GamE

GamE

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 04:39 PM

Hello all, Here is my issue.

I am running 2 NIC Cards one for internet (DCHP) and one for XBOX ((Static)Crossover Cable). I have no problem using either connection, but when I go to connect to my xbox, I lose my internet connection.

Is there a setting I could change to always keep my internet connection on. I hate having to lose the connection when connecting to my xbox.

Im running WIN XP

Does anyone else have this issue...

#2 scooby_dooby

scooby_dooby

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 04:49 PM

yep it's easy, don't declare a gateway for you XBOX connection and it will work.

#3 lamt

lamt

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 04:51 PM

It is not really an issue.
You problem is that you are asking your PC to be a router. Without a routing protocol you can't do that. If you want to have both connections working at the same time you will need to install server or some other program that will allow you to route across the NIC interfaces.
XP is not a router by default. You could try to enable the ICS and see if that helps.

#4 lajnus@telia.com

lajnus@telia.com

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 04:52 PM

To bad all connection "how to" on internet says U have to declare a gateway.

#5 scooby_dooby

scooby_dooby

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 09:21 PM

well you can listen to these 2 talking out their ass, or listen to me. I'm running winXP, with 2 nics and had the exact same problem. I deleted the gateway for the xbox NIC and I could then connect to the box and internet at the same time.

Really, if you don't know what you're talkin about STFU

#6 X30n

X30n

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 August 2003 - 10:34 PM

Set up ICS on your NIC that access the internet. That will set up the other nic just for xbox use and your xbox will be able to access the internet also. Keep in mind, your xbox might get a new ip, so it would be best if you turn on DHCP on your xbox.

#7 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Quantum Loop Theory
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 August 2003 - 12:22 AM

I'm going to reply to everyone:
scooby_dooby: well he's right but I'll elaborate on what he says in a bit..
lamt: just completly wrong. its not routing any more than any computer. Your problem is because of a routing issue... but it's easily fixed
lajnus@telia.com: you don't need a gateway. they are misleading... you only need a gateway when leaving your subnet which isn't happening here.
x30n: what he said works too but it will also enable your xbox to get out to the internet which you may not want to do.

bottom line is start out with what scooby said. you may also want to make the ip of the nic to the internet on a different subnet than the one connected to crossover. For example if ip of card that goes out to internet is 192.168.1.100 then make your crossover 192.168.0.2
being on diff subnets ensures that packets know how to get out to internet.

#8 scooby_dooby

scooby_dooby

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 12:41 AM

my settings are like this:

XBOX Nic
ip: 119.0.0.1
subnet: 255.255.255.0
gateway:

Internet Nic
Auto

The XBOX
ip: 119.0.0.2
subnet: 255.255.255.0
gateway:

it took me a couple hours to figure out how to get everything working. And ya ICS will work, but the gateway thing is even easier. btw, I know that with my method my XBOX can still connect to the internet, since my streaming radio works.

I can guarantee this will work perfect with windows XP Pro.

Edited by scooby_dooby, 05 August 2003 - 02:35 AM.

#9 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Quantum Loop Theory
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:04 AM

yep and i bet your internet nic doesn't have an ip of 119.0.0.x
that's why it works.

#10 X30n

X30n

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 August 2003 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (mrRobinson @ Aug 4 2003, 09:04 PM)
yep and i bet your internet nic doesn't have an ip of 119.0.0.x
that's why it works.

I agree.

My ICS is just for someone that wants a quick configuration change with internet access for their xbox.

See I run ICS on my lap top because my wireless router is on the second floor of my home and my xbox is on the first. So it was easy for me to configure my wirless nic to ICS. It took a whole 5 seconds for everything thing to be live. The downside is, if I take my lap top somewhere then needs a hard connection, I have to place my wireless nic in and turn off ICS before I can use my hard connection again.

One last thing, I did suggest ICS because if someone knows about networking, they wouldnt be asking and the answer I feel that are being given are too advance (no matter how easy you make it sound).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users