• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 markduncan

markduncan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:R/C helicopters , Motorcycles, Woman , Scuba Diving , Xbox , PC ect ect
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 04 August 2003 - 09:16 PM

Hi there all

I saw a few posts requesting a tutorial on how to install led's showing the network connection status and that the cable is actually connected.

( I posted this already in the hardware section, but I felt that too few would see it so I moved it here....)

Well I dont know if anyone else has found or posted this but here go's anyway.

I was re-casing an xbox when by chance I happened to examine the network post (RJ45 outlet) on the xbox motherboard, I noticed the port has two small LED's and after testing I found they work, one gives you line status and the other gives you transit info.

And to be able to see and use them in an original case you get them for free with very little work and NO soldering.

To make them usable you just need to file away a portion of the hole around the top of the plastic case and your done.

And if you open the NIC's connectors case you can desolder the L.E.D's there and add some extender wires and move the LED's to the front of the case at very little cost.

As an update on this post 18/08/03 I have found that the new xboxes being shipped now have a larger hole around the case at the RJ45 Outlet allowing you to see the network activity L.E.D's.
And the metal sheilding over the RJ45 outlet now encapsulates the outlet less allowing you to see (read that better to get to) the legs of the L.E.D's without removing the casing ,therefore if you wanted to add L.E.D's at the front , it is now even easier. biggrin.gif

Regards

Mark

Edited by markduncan, 20 August 2003 - 04:48 AM.

#2 duggal

duggal

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 06:59 PM

What I've done with my Xbox is a bit more advanced and requires soldering but if you do it right, your Modchip LED can be used both as an indicator that your Modchip is active as well as indicating network activity.

If done wrong, you'll end up with a fried Modchip!

#3 big_boludo

big_boludo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 08 July 2004 - 02:42 PM

I've got the activity LED working just fine by soldering the ground wire to the point shown in this picture. I wanted a CONNECTION LED so I soldered the ground wire for it to the point shown by the yellow arrow. The LED worked, but when it was on, the green LED in the back of the xbox did NOT work, and network speeds slowed to a crawl (20kb/s). I removed the ground wire and things are back to normal, but is there no way (besides cutting and lengthening the existing LED) to get a connection LED working?

user posted image

#4 sinister slipknot

sinister slipknot

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 September 2004 - 11:13 PM

muhaha.gif i used that same tutorial for LAN link led and mine is fine and hasnt slowed down at all! maybe it might depend on where you got the power supply from and how much power is going through it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users