7 replies to this topic

#1 anderj6

anderj6

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:12 PM

Is anyone working on a Sega Model 1/2/3 emulator for the xbox that you know of?

Dying to get my hands on thier old games without getting a saturn.

Don't know why NeoGeo is so popular when Sega in the 90's owned some of the best fighting games ever.

edited: thanks for the correction

Edited by anderj6, 05 August 2003 - 03:24 PM.

#2 Dante_Ali

Dante_Ali

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:20 PM

Sorry but there is no arcade hardware called System 1 / 2 / 3.

Perhaps you are referring to Model 1 / 2 / 3 - as far as I know, Model 1 is not emulated and will not be emulated for a LOOONG time, Nebula emulates Model 2A (not 2) for the most part but will unlikely run on the Xbox due to the slow processor and because Nebula is closedsource.

Also Model 2 is unlikely to be correctly emulated in the near future because it uses some undocumented hardware - same for Model 1.

And then there's Model 3, which uses far more common hardware (Motorola PowerPC 100MHz processor and a Lockheed Martin graphics chip)

Supposedly there's a PC emulator in the works, but if the system specs on Nebula M2 are anything to go by, the Xbox won't be able to handle it at a decent speed.

So just another pipe dream, then.

Edited by Dante_Ali, 05 August 2003 - 03:22 PM.

#3 anderj6

anderj6

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:26 PM

How can Xbox handle N64 games and not the games from sega in the early to mid 90's?

#4 Dante_Ali

Dante_Ali

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:30 PM

1: Because N64 emulation is at a far more advanced stage than Model 1 / 2 / 3.

2: Because N64 hardware is less technically demanding than Model 1 / 2 / 3.

3: Because some system specs of Model 1 and 2 are totally undocumented. Without documentation = no emulator.

4: Model 3 was a FAR more powerful beast than the Nintendo 64 - to the nth degree. It was more powerful, specswise, than the Dreamcast, just to give you some indication of its power.

#5 anderj6

anderj6

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:37 PM

Since a model 1/2/3 emulator is out of the question is there a Sega Saturn Emulator?

#6 boo_se

boo_se

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:48 PM

there are some saturn emulators for pc. Some games are playable, but saturn emulation are not at the same stage as psx and n64 emulation yet. It's a hard system to emulate becouse of the dual processors. Even game developers had a hard time making use of saturns real potential.

#7 gamemaster14

gamemaster14

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 August 2003 - 05:53 PM

Sega model 1 , 2 and 3 emulators are possible but not until we learn more about the systems. The key is to never say never. Until u64emu came out no one thought Killer Instinct would run well on a pc. Plus dont you guys remember a few months ago where everyone said psx and n64 emulation is impossible on xbox. It may happen it is just gonna take some time

#8 desertboy

desertboy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (gamemaster14 @ Aug 5 2003, 07:53 PM)
Sega model 1 , 2 and 3 emulators are possible but not until we learn more about the systems. The key is to never say never. Until u64emu came out no one thought Killer Instinct would run well on a pc. Plus dont you guys remember a few months ago where everyone said psx and n64 emulation is impossible on xbox. It may happen it is just gonna take some time

Maybe some sort of HLE might enable you to run these games but I doubt it. Model 3's have a powerpc 100mhz chip which you would be hard pushed to emulate the processor alone on you 733 P3 never mind any of the other hardware.
Model 1 emulators exists but does not have a 3d renderer (No 3d graphics)
Nebula M2 0.9 does indeed run on my PC and emulates quite a few model 2 games (Only certain model 2) but on my P4 2.4GHZ with 1/2 gig f 400mhz ddr and a Gforce4 Ti it barely gets a decent framerate so I doubt my xbox with it's lack of ram for a decent dynrec is all bad news.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users