5 replies to this topic

#1 Stealthz

Stealthz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 03:13 AM

I'm trying to decide which DVR drive to buy. It seems that the majority of people have either a Sony or Pioneer drive and I wanted to get some opinions before buying. I don't want to start a flame war or anything... but if anyone has good/bad things to say about either of these drives, let me know.

Sony DW-U10A - $270 CDN

or

Pioneer A06 - $335 CDN

From the research that I have done so far it would seem that the Sony slightly outperforms the Pioneer, however, the Sony also seems to give people a lot of problems while the Pioneer is more stable and reliable.

Does that about sum it up? What would all of you get?

Edited by Stealthz, 06 August 2003 - 03:15 AM.

#2 LinksAwakening

LinksAwakening

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 06 August 2003 - 03:33 AM

Depending on what you want to use it for, you could just go out and get the Pioneer DVR-105 (about $170), and it will do everything you need it to (plus it has more benefits over the DVR-106, as of right now)...

There isn't any reason why you would have to get a dual-format burner... as most of the time you will be using -R over +R...

You could even buy a +R burner and hope that it works with your equipment, without having to buy a dual-format...

But, if you really want a dual-format... I would go with the Pioneer 106... for stability and firmware upgrades...

#3 esdubu

esdubu

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 August 2003 - 06:07 AM

yep i agree. i have the pioneer dv-105 and it burns perfect backups even at 4x. dvd-r is definitely the way to go for now. plus it's cheap!

#4 Stigmatica

Stigmatica

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 August 2003 - 10:06 AM

i got the pioneer A05 , it was the one that actually comes as a Cendyne. because its packed by cendyne , its much cheaper, less then 200 bucks.

#5 Dagoth

Dagoth

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 August 2003 - 11:57 AM

Got a Sony DRU 510a (the retail version of the DW-U10A) havent had a single disk failure (500+ burns - data, movies xbox).

also got a Pioneer A106 (at work) which I aslo haven't had any problems with. The only difference is that the Pioneer has a 2Mb buffer opposed to the 8Mb on the Sony, but in the real world it makes no difference..

Both burners are brilliant, so to be honest it doesnt matter which one you choose tongue.gif

#6 Stealthz

Stealthz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I still haven't made a final decision yet.... all your comments have left me as much undecided as before. It sounds like either way I go will be just fine. Most likely, I'll just go with the cheaper drive, so probably the Sony DW-U10A.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users