6 replies to this topic

#1 -x-

-x-

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 02:10 PM

How can I delete a dummy file in a PSX ISO? As far as I know dummy files are useless in ISO's, because they are used to help a cd drive to read a disc. Is this correct?

Well I have been making ISO's out of my PSX games since yesterday in anticpation of my XBOX's arrival. I thought it would be nice to delete those useless dummy files in the ISO to save space. For example Bushido Blades's dummy files is 120mb, which is 120mb of useless space.

I have been using CD-Clone to rip the discs and was wondering if it would be possible just to delete the dummy file in the ISO.

I searched the forums for teh word dummy and only came up with the word in a FCEultra thread.

I searched the net and came up that it may not be possible, buy I could be wrong.

Can anyone help me with this?

#2 zombie13

zombie13

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (-x- @ Aug 7 2003, 04:10 PM)
How can I delete a dummy file in a PSX ISO? As far as I know dummy files are useless in ISO's, because they are used to help a cd drive to read a disc. Is this correct?

Well I have been making ISO's out of my PSX games since yesterday in anticpation of my XBOX's arrival. I thought it would be nice to delete those useless dummy files in the ISO to save space. For example Bushido Blades's dummy files is 120mb, which is 120mb of useless space.

I have been using CD-Clone to rip the discs and was wondering if it would be possible just to delete the dummy file in the ISO.

I searched the forums for teh word dummy and only came up with the word in a FCEultra thread.

I searched the net and came up that it may not be possible, buy I could be wrong.

Can anyone help me with this?

I would say that you'd need to re-author the disc/ISO, excluding the dummy file(s).

I had to re-author Transformers for the PS2, as the version I had wouldn't work with a Nomod chip. I copied all the files to my PC's hard disk, then used a program specifically for authoring PS2 discs (I think it was called PS2Gen). This allowed me to specify the LBA of the files in the disc image, so that the Nomod chip could boot it.

I would imagine a similar program exists for the PSX, but I haven't needed to look for one. Try searching with Google.

beerchug.gif

Edited by zombie13, 07 August 2003 - 02:17 PM.

#3 musical_mercenary_420

musical_mercenary_420

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 02:17 PM

i dont get this post?

#4 zombie13

zombie13

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (musical_mercenary_420 @ Aug 7 2003, 04:17 PM)
i dont get this post?

Dummy files are used to "pad out" the game data to the outside of the disc, where data can be read quicker. An ISO can be made smaller by removing these files.

As an example, dummy files are used a fair bit in the Dreamcast scene.

#5 devlkore

devlkore

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Interests:Games, Photoshop, martial arts, soft toys, PokéMon, PowerPuff Girls, cartoons, music, jumping
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 07 August 2003 - 03:52 PM

he-he!

Just a bit.

#6 NaughtyNu

NaughtyNu

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (devlkore @ Aug 7 2003, 04:52 PM)
he-he!

Just a bit.

A bit? Anybody with Crazy Taxi or DOA2 will tell you... smile.gif

#7 -x-

-x-

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:35 PM

Well I looked for a PSX re authoring tool, to no avail.

Its amazing. I ripped 12 of my games and it all added up to 5 gigs. Out of those 5 gigs almost 1 gig is made up of dummy files. Oh well well keep on looking and report if I find anthing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users