X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 21 July 2003 - 08:21 PM

ok im confused,

so ur saying if i download new content or if a game receives an auto-update, the evox dash will become corrupt? if im not getting this can someone simplify it for me?

#17 Giovanni8089

Giovanni8089

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 03:53 PM

Inside Pitch 2003

#18 muno

muno

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 07:54 PM

Burnout2 also

And i did run the dashupdate :-(

Now my original dashboard is one with XB live...... !! and i can't replace it with the original.
If i do i get the error 13.

OK i still can get into Evox, it's not a very big problem.

But does someone have an idea how to put the orignal back.
Or anyone an idea which files are modified when running the dashupdate?

Muno (Netherlands)

#19 mind_warp

mind_warp

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 02:57 PM

SW: KotOR too...

I gotz nuked... what happens is the original MS Dash is no longer readable and you'll get an 'Error 21' if u try to run it (for CDs DVDs or just regular loading)... If you're not Live, it doesn't really matter... Just load up DVD-X 2 (Dongle Free!) and XBox Media Player.

Now here's my question... Is there a solution or am i permanentaly msxboxdash free?

#20 Lovin It!

Lovin It!

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 07:27 PM

kindve a noob here but I would say(it hasnt been said yet),duh,...any XBOX LIVE enabled game could potentially harm your evox install

#21 brsandlin

brsandlin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 10:45 PM

The game "XIII" has a dash update and update.exe

#22 Haemarroid

Haemarroid

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:50 PM

Colin McCrae 4 - if you choose to install XBoxLive

#23 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 December 2003 - 12:21 AM

All Xbox Live games have the dashupdate.xbe executable.

#24 dtechlogic

dtechlogic

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 December 2003 - 04:50 PM

Well guys i don't know why you have problem with dashboard when you do the update. I have never encounter any problem with mine when it does the update. My evox works perfectly and i have all my apps in their folder and nothing has been changed in my ini and the only things i do see in there that is knew are for xbox live and i been enjoying playing my games online to and have downloaded new levels for games that i and like to play crimson skies high road to revenge.

#25 umjohn

umjohn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 03:38 PM

the one that screwed me over was

star wars clone wars

#26 nobodyimportant

nobodyimportant

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (dtechlogic @ Dec 16 2003, 06:50 PM)
Well guys i don't know why you have problem with dashboard when you do the update. I have never encounter any problem with mine when it does the update.

If you have a mod chip, you won't see any problems. But if you are doing soft mods with fonts or audio hacks, they won't work anymore because the update fixes the flaws they exploit.

#27 spinaroonisucka

spinaroonisucka

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Basketball, Football, Women

Posted 25 January 2004 - 08:14 AM

OK heres the deal. I will try to simplify this matter. When you turn on your xbox, the ms bios will load the file "xboxdash.xbe" This is the ms dashboard. When you install a mod chip, you have a number of options, the easiest one being - download a bios that has a different boot sequence. (I.E. The Xecuter 2 bios). These bios's will boot the executable (the xboxdash.xbe file) in a different order. Example: My Xecuter 2 bios will boot "evoxdash.xbe" first, then if that is not found it will load up "xboxdash.xbe" Now, on the root of my C drive, I installed Evox. I named the xbe file "evoxdash.xbe" and left the ms one named "xboxdash.xbe" What this does is allow me to turn off my switch and load up the ms bios. If i turn the switch on, my xecutor 2 bios will load up "evoxdash.xbe" becasue that is first in the boot sequence, which is evox. If i turn the switch off, the ms bios will load "xboxdash.xbe" which is the ms dashboard. I am completly safe from the update.xbe file. When you run the update.xbe file it will update your "xboxdash.xbe" file.

Now here is where people will nuke their dash.

1. they install a modchip, or use an exploit or whatever other means to mod their xbox
2. they install their new dash, and it is named "xboxdash.xbe" (their ms-dash might be renamed to "msdash.xbe" or something else
3. they run the update.xbe file, by downloading new maps, content, etc..
4. the update.xbe file overwrites the previous "xboxdash.xbe" file (which is your dash) with a new ms dash
5. they turn on the xbox and the MS dash loads up even with the chip enabled.

Now here is how to fix it.

You are still running your downloaded bios. The update did not affect this at all. You should still be able to run homebrew code (evox,avalaunch, etc..)
1.turn on the xbox
2.insert an evox boot disk ( you should still be running your bios at this point and therefor be able to read the evox disk)
3.ftp to your xbox, rename your ms dash (xboxdash.xbe) file to something else and reupload your dash and name it "xboxdash.xbe"
4.eject the evox disk
5.restart the xbox
you should be fine again at this point

to prevent this from happening agian
1. flash your bios with one that supports a new boot sequence
2. Name your dash to one of the options in the boot order before "xboxdash.xbe"
3. Name your ms-dash back to "xboxdash.xbe"

Sorry for the long post, hope this clarifies the problem for some people

#28 spinaroonisucka

spinaroonisucka

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Basketball, Football, Women

Posted 25 January 2004 - 08:19 AM

Moral of the story: keep an evox boot disk handy. Splinter cell got me with the dash update once. Then i popped in my evox boot disk and re-uploaded my dash. Then quickly got a bios with a new boot sequence

#29 krypton

krypton

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 12:35 AM

Yup, I got nuked by Splinter Cell. I was stupid and tried to download a new map and ended up with an error 21. I used slayer to get my box running again but my m$ dash still doesn't work. It's just the green background with no options when I try to run it. But at least I don't have an error 21 anymore.

#30 Bwsk8

Bwsk8

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 29 February 2004 - 10:17 PM

Here is two more.

Project Gotham Racing 2
Outlaw Volleyball

0 user(s) are reading this topic