7 replies to this topic

#1 Dr C

Dr C

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 02:33 AM

Hiya

Im new to the forum so Ill understand if no-one can be arsed to reply, however Ill plead with you lot anyway as Im clutching at straws at the mo. Been running a simple enigmah setup with no probs until recently, when my backups started playing up, working sometimes + sometimes giving the 'dirty' message. More recently Ive found that the machine seems to get tired - after its loaded 1 disk it wont load anther until its been switched off about 1/2 hr - even originals. The dvd sounds like its straining, its been making some weird noises + stuff - it pushes a couple of times then just gives up without reading anything. Ive also been getting freezes on DVD movies + it seems to be getting worse until practically nothing will ever boot. If the problem is with the DVD drive then I cant understand why its affected by how long its been switched on (+ now just booting 1 disk is enough to see that no others will work). Any ideas? If I have to replace the dvd for an LG or something does anyone know of anyone who can do that (London, UK) cos I dont stand a chance in hell of doing it myself. I hate the thought that Ill have to give money for another box to that Sheisster, Gates.

#2 Satan00

Satan00

PimpMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 October 2002 - 02:36 AM

i suggest opening it up and look if any solder was spilled, if the moed was moved out of its position, if its isolated etc.. youre getting a serious overheat problem

#3 CASTOR_TROY

CASTOR_TROY

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 05:37 PM

i suggest just getting another dvd rom and my 10 year old brother read the tutorial on this page and put in the dvd rom after i bought the rom and ide power y splitter, so u better be able to do it laugh.gif

#4 Dr C

Dr C

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 10:55 PM

Im actually only 9. What page is this anyway?

#5 bamma

bamma

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 October 2002 - 01:19 AM

QUOTE (Dr C @ Oct 19 2002, 01:33 AM)
Hiya

Im new to the forum so Ill understand if no-one can be arsed to reply, however Ill plead with you lot anyway as Im clutching at straws at the mo. Been running a simple enigmah setup with no probs until recently, when my backups started playing up, working sometimes + sometimes giving the 'dirty' message. More recently Ive found that the machine seems to get tired - after its loaded 1 disk it wont load anther until its been switched off about 1/2 hr - even originals. The dvd sounds like its straining, its been making some weird noises + stuff - it pushes a couple of times then just gives up without reading anything. Ive also been getting freezes on DVD movies + it seems to be getting worse until practically nothing will ever boot. If the problem is with the DVD drive then I cant understand why its affected by how long its been switched on (+ now just booting 1 disk is enough to see that no others will work). Any ideas? If I have to replace the dvd for an LG or something does anyone know of anyone who can do that (London, UK) cos I dont stand a chance in hell of doing it myself. I hate the thought that Ill have to give money for another box to that Sheisster, Gates.

sound's like you lazer is on it's wat out..
one way of confirming this would be to try running game from hdd..
not allways possible i know but it's about the ony suggestion i have..
if you decide you want someone to fit lg drive give me a shout. I'm about an hour away in P'boro

#6 tupac

tupac

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 20 October 2002 - 02:58 PM

Just piss on it and get a new one, that solved the problem for me

#7 Dr C

Dr C

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 10:00 PM

I know its a class piece of kit, but why couldnt MS have put a better dvd in there to start with? I went on another forum and found loads of people were having this problem, regardless of country or amount of tampering done. There are a lot of unhappy Americans out there whove never heard of modded consoles, cos you only get 90 days standard warantee over there apparently, and MS charge $100 just to look at the thing. For me personally, I may have found a solution, but need to ask a couple of techy questions:

The situation is, My mate got given a free US Xbox but managed to blow it up running too much power through it. My idea is to get his busted Xbox and transfer the dvd unit to my own. Need to know:

1 Do you reckon the drive will still be ok-I know the motherboard will probably be useless but does anyone know if the dvd's likely to be affected?

2 Will I be able to use the US drive in my English machine - are they the same? regional coding shouldnt be a problem as its chipped + you can get that regionX thing now anyway.

3 supposing the dvd unit in my mate's is knacked, how much to put that LG in m8? Thing is I know its probably quite a big job, + if its gonna be well expensive plus loads of driving, I might as well piss on it like that guy said, + maybe claim on home insurance (now theres an idea...)

Thanks in advance

#8 Dr C

Dr C

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 07:14 PM

Anyone?

please help, I think Im becoming insane ph34r.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users