X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:Xbox
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 October 2002 - 05:30 AM

Definitions

Network Uplink: This is the broadband port that connects to the Internet. Typically this will be on your cable modem or ADSL router.
Network Card: This is a 10 or 100BaseT network connection (either a PCI card or a USB box).
Hub: A hub allows multiple machines to be on the same network as each other.
Switch: A switch is similar to a hub, but is smarter about routing traffic between machines on the network.
NAT Router: Also known as "broadband gateways" or "Cable/DSL routers" these devices allow you to share a single broadband IP address with multiple machines. You may already have one of these if you have multiple computers at home on your broadband connection.
Firewall: This device blocks most network traffic to your machine. Some NAT Switches have a built-in firewall, and software firewalls such as "Zone Alarm" are also popular. You may need to disable your firewall to use the GameSpy Tunnel.
Network Cable: This is a regular RJ45 network cable

Configuration

Hub/Switch Direct to Internet
This is a common configuration if you have a single machine and want to put your Xbox on the same network. If your current Internet connection goes directly from the Network uplink into your network card, this will be the easiest configuration to set up. Just plug the Network Uplink into the Uplink port on the hub, and plug your computer and console into the hub. No networking changes are needed. 4 or 5 port hubs can be purchased for $30-$50.

NAT (DSL/Cable Router)
If you are already sharing your network connection with multiple computers, or plan to in the future, you may need a NAT if you do not have enough IP addresses from your ISP for each computer. You can simply plug your Xbox into the NAT router and it will be on the same network as your computer. No additional configuration is needed. Note that you may need to open (forward) ports on your NAT as outlined above.

Two PC Network Cards
If you do not want to use a hub, you can choose to use two network cards in the same machine. One network card will connect to your Internet connection. The second (console-connected) network card will need to be configured with TCP/IP enabled. You can use an IP address of "192.168.0.1" on it, a Subnet Mask of "255.255.255.0" and leave the gateway and other settings blank. Make sure you configure the GameSpy Tunnel application with the network card that is connected to the Xbox when asked to select one.

NAT + Hub/Switch
If your NAT (Cable/DSL Router) does not have enough ports on it, you may need to plug a hub or switch into it, and then plug your computer and Xbox into the hub. When connecting the NAT to the Hub, you should use the uplink port on one of the devices (but not both).

USB Cable Modem
If you have a cable modem that connects directly to your machine via USB, then you will need a second network card to connect to the game console. See the section above on Two PC Network Cards for more info. Note that if you have a USB Ethernet adapter for use with your Cable/DSL Uplink you can use any of the other configurations since a USB Ethernet adapter is basically just a type network card. An additional card is ONLY needed if your Cable Modem connects directly to your machine via USB (no network cable).

Source: gamespy.com

#2 pock

pock

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 09:49 PM

I have a question. I connect to the internet using dialup connection. How would i get the second network card to connect to the internet or did i misinterpret something?

Thanks

#3 Dagoth

Dagoth

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 July 2003 - 06:37 PM

If you connect to the internet using a dialup connection you will use an RJ11(modem) - telephone socket to connect to your phone line.

A network connection (RJ45) is slightly bigger. so if you dont already have a network card you will need to install one

#4 SpetsnazC4

SpetsnazC4

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 05:26 PM

I just used a cross over cable from my pc, into an inline coupler, then 40 feet of cat5 into my xbox smile.gif

gotta love a handy parts box biggrin.gif

#5 ELVER_GUN

ELVER_GUN

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 08:25 PM

excuseme but this FAQ should'nt be called
"""How Do I Network My Xbox Console To My Pc?"""

it should be renamed to

How do I Network My XBOX "and" PC

it does not explain how to really network them to share files and the like

just my 2 cents

good FAQ anyway

#6 STEVEHABS

STEVEHABS

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 07:09 PM

Or if u have a cable or dsl modem get a MS or linksys wireless g router and a MS wireless g xbox adapter. it will go damn near 9 MB/s or 54 mb/s.

#7 VenimK

VenimK

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 25 December 2003 - 06:09 AM

My Xbox is connected in my Wi-Fi WRT54G router.

I'm using this WRT54G for my I-net connection also.

When try 'ng to transfer files to Xbox, it 's kinda slow (2mb/sec).

Is this normal, How can i go make it faster

#8 prplehz

prplehz

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Interests:Romance, Audio/Video, Computers, Video Games, Skiing, Swimming.
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 December 2003 - 04:38 PM

I was wondering if there was a difference in transfer rate with wireless on xbox. I get about 8-9 with wires depending on the size of the file. Sounds about the same.

Before I had a router I just used the two nics built into my motherboard on pc and ics and it worked fine. I set up the router as an educational experience. lmao. cake to set up but all the different ways to communicate is a bit overwhelming at the time. static, dhcp and the such. Sticking with static till I understand dhcp better. If anyone knows of a good no brainer explanation of the differences in networks site that would be great to see posted here.. beerchug.gif

#9 TalinTheLost

TalinTheLost

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 06 January 2004 - 01:53 AM

Just a word on wireless.... dont use it if you're going to be transferring large files.

Typical Cat5 cable is around the 80-90mbps (even tho it says 100 - 100 is only the "theoretical max").

Wireless on the other hand... there's different speeds again.

You have 10mbps, 22, 54, and i think there's also a 76 now too?

anyway.. my friend has a 22. the max he can get is 11mbps. i have a 54 - the max i can get is 19-20. and no, this is not just bad settings. what they say is that "54mbps" is only theoretical - its actually not obtainable - they even admitted that to me in the end. was not impressed

anyway...back to the point. even at 20mbps... are you sure you'd want to wait 15 minutes to transfer something rather than 3? no..i'd say not smile.gif

#10 xcosta54

xcosta54

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:XBOX MODDING...LIVE IT,READ IT, YOU ARE IT.

Posted 07 January 2004 - 03:43 PM

Question: Do you need a mod chip to network to your Xbox from PC? uhh.gif

#11 star^

star^

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 10 January 2004 - 09:48 PM

I have a little problem.
I have 2 network cards in my pc. One of them are for the internet thats i get from a hub that is connected to a wireless internet concection.
The other card is connected with my xbox. I do not want to connect my xbox to the internet so that is clear.

The problem is that when i turn on the xbox and go on the xbox via ftp i loose my internet conection.
It just goes down.
To get my internet working again i have to unplug the crossover that is connected to the xbox.

My internet ip is 10.41.159.3 and the ip for the other network card is 192.168.0.1.
Xbox ip is 192.168.0.3

what to do?

#12 inVINCEseeble

inVINCEseeble

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 04:42 AM

i have a dsl modem but i don't have dsl connection? how do it set it up?

#13 inVINCEseeble

inVINCEseeble

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 04:55 AM

One question: I saw there is a hole looks like a phone line outlet. in the backleft of the xbox, is that hole on the left use for phone line? I plug it it, it fits but I don't know if it work.

#14 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 January 2004 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (inVINCEseeble @ Jan 18 2004, 12:55 AM)
One question: I saw there is a hole looks like a phone line outlet. in the backleft of the xbox, is that hole on the left use for phone line? I plug it it, it fits but I don't know if it work.

That is an ethernet jack, for networking the Xbox for System Link play, Xbox Live, or (if you have a modchip) FTP'ing to your computer.

Telephones do not work with Xboxes wink.gif

#15 inVINCEseeble

inVINCEseeble

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 07:04 PM

holy molly, is there another way to FTP to PC without modchip, I thought I only need TSOP Flash or Softmod to copy xbox games to hardrive to play them there, and burn xbox games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users