• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#76 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 September 2004 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE (OuTrAgE @ Sep 7 2004, 12:42 PM)
Hey, I'm just wondering the best place to get a crossover cable. I really don't know what I'm looking for, so if somebody could give me a link, that would be great.

Any place that sells computers in your local town should have them. Big box stores, and places like Radio Shack will put a huge markup on the price of one cable, but if you head over to one of those privately owned stores, you can get 10 or 25 feet of crossover cable for very cheap.

#77 teabagger25

teabagger25

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (trahcwolf @ Sep 2 2004, 11:28 PM)
Feel free to call me an idiot
I have to ask
I want to trade files between my xbox and pc
I have connected a crossover cable to them
Xbox settings:
IP 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.1.1
PC Settings
IP 192.168.1.3
Says connected
FTP says error connecting

Someone please tell me what I did wrong

Xbox and PC need to be assigned different IP addresses. Set your PC to 192.168.1.1 this should be the same as the default gateway setting on the XBox I believe.

Whoever was bitching about 54Mbps wireless not doing 54MB per sec transfer - that's because you're confusing your bits and bytes. It's 54 megabits per second not 54 megabytes per second. There are 8 bits in a byte, so 54/8 = 6.75 MB per second.

And now to my own problem:

Had Xbox connected to PC via crossover cable with no problems, media center could access a shared drive on my PC and stream movies and fetch file info through the shared internet connection.

Now I've just gone wireless with a linksys 54G router and ethernet bridge. XBox is on the network and I can access it and FTP to and from the XBox from my PC. However when I try to access my shared stream drive from within media center I keep getting 'access denied' errors. It's got me stumped. I'm thinking it's something to do with user accounts blah blah blah on my PC but I'm just going round in circles with it. In the XboxMediaCenter.xml I've got the smb path for the stream drive set to <path>smb://192.168.1.226/Movies/</path> which is the IP address of the 54G ethernet bridge... It's doing my swede in.

#78 wheezy_weasle

wheezy_weasle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 12:38 AM

I need some help I'm trying to connect my xbox to my pc, my xbox is chipped with xececuter 2, but my pc only has 1 pic card which my broadband was connected to, i have now changed this to USB connection witch free's up the (pci) network connection. I've tried with a crossover lead but can't get it connected, i've also got a router but not sure it its sep up right ( cable modem into USB port, pci connection into router, router into xbox) ??? am really puzzled please help

#79 sheldonm

sheldonm

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:40 AM

All right, so I'm new to this whole scene. I have a basic knowledge on how to do computer stuff, but no idea about the xbox thus far.

I've got my PC and Xbox connected via a crossover cable using the 2 NIC method. I've hit a few problems.

In EvoX it says my link type is only half-duplex, whereas on my PC I've got it set to Full Duplex (like all the FAQs said to). I've rebooted both systems to no effect. I'm using an Xbox System Link Cable as my crossover cable. Could this for any reason be the culprit? Everything else is showing up as it should.

Also, I'm experiencing slow speeds on FTP. I know that this is a common complaint and fixes are listed everywhere, but my problem is a little more severe than the average user. Most people mean 500k or so when they complain of a slow speed. I'm using FlashFXP

I get 2-4kb/s

Would this be from my half/full duplex issue?

#80 sheldonm

sheldonm

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:56 AM

Ok. Using 2 NIC card method of connecting. Xbox and PC see each other just fine.

Xbox says link type is only Half duplex. PC says it's set to Full Duplex, like it ought to be. I'm using an Xbox system link cable as my crossover cable. Could it be the culprit?

When I connect via FlashFXP I get slow speeds. Not slow like normal people complain of (500kb/s), I get ~2-6 kb/s. Also, I cannot Transfer files. When I right-click on a file to transfer it, the button is greyed out. But I can edit files on the Xbox (which is how I tested my speed)

Are the 2 problems related at all?

Under BPFTP I get slightly better speed, ~7-10kb/s. Anyone recommend another FTP client?

#81 sheldonm

sheldonm

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:58 AM

Ok. Using 2 NIC card method of connecting. Xbox and PC see each other just fine.

Xbox says link type is only Half duplex. PC says it's set to Full Duplex, like it ought to be. I'm using an Xbox system link cable as my crossover cable. Could it be the culprit?

When I connect via FlashFXP I get slow speeds. Not slow like normal people complain of (500kb/s), I get ~2-6 kb/s. Also, I cannot Transfer files. When I right-click on a file to transfer it, the button is greyed out. But I can edit files on the Xbox (which is how I tested my speed)

Are the 2 problems related at all?

Under BPFTP I get slightly better speed, ~7-10kb/s. Anyone recommend another FTP client?

#82 MaverickZero

MaverickZero

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 04:20 PM

I have a problem with connecting to the Xbox or rather transferring files.
The Xbox got it's IP via DHCP and such... and I can connect to it with my FTP Program and browse through the HDD but I can't upload any files. It says the file already exists (but it doesn't) and no matter what option I click (overwrite, abort...) the FTP Program does a few retries and then stops with the message "too many tries"

My Xbox software tells me that the HDD is locked. Do I have to unlock it to upload files?

#83 southbark

southbark

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (wheezy_weasle @ Sep 18 2004, 05:41 PM)
I need some help I'm trying to connect my xbox to my pc, my xbox is chipped with xececuter 2, but my pc only has 1 pic card which my broadband was connected to, i have now changed this to USB connection witch free's up the (pci) network connection. I've tried with a crossover lead but can't get it connected, i've also got a router but not sure it its sep up right ( cable modem into USB port, pci connection into router, router into xbox) ??? am really puzzled please help

You must enable Internet Connection Sharing in network connections on the internet connection and it will work

#84 ckh2004

ckh2004

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 07:16 AM

Yes, all xboxes ethernet always default to 100Mbps Half Duplex. If you use a dedicated NIC in your PC to network the xbox, make sure that the NIC in your PC is manually configured to 100Mbps Half Duplex too, otherwise there will be throughput problem.

For my setup, the xbox connects to the second NIC in my PC via cross cable. The first NIC in my PC connects to the broadband router. I configured network bridging for my two NIC cards in Windows XP. Because my xboxes will not network enabled if DHCP is not enabled. For convenience, I don't use static IP address, except when static IP is automatically set in Linux / raincoat.

Somehow when I connect my xbox directly to the broadband router switch, the duplex mismatch result in very slow FTP speeds.

#85 Rtelly

Rtelly

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 02:07 AM

OK, I have a little problem which I can't quite fiqure out. Hopefuly someone here can.
I just purchase a Linksys WRT54G Router. It's soul purpose is a hardware firewall. The xbox is hooked with cross over cable up to a net card on my pc and my internet connection is on another net card/router. As soon as I set this up I loose one of the two connections. IE: When I use Flashfxp to transfer files the internet connecton goes down until I turn off the xbox or disconnect the rg45 cable. At first I thought it might be sp2 or even norton internet securities, but disabling them doesn't do the trick. Any Ideas
Cheers
Ben

#86 devine

devine

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 10:12 PM

I'm having a slight problem with this stuff through Windows

I'm using two eth-cards

For further mentioning I'll use these terms
Connection1 > is my link to internet
Connection2 > is my link (crossed TP) to the xbox

I've set windows (xp) to share connection1, and settings for connection2 is IP: 192.168.0.1 subnet: 255.255.255.0, while the xbox is set to IP: 192.168.0.2 subnet: 255.255.255.0

I'm using avalaunch, and whilst loading it tries to connect to the web to gather news to show in the dash. Obviously this won't work, and I have the same problems trying to use Xboxconnect. The computer won't have any kind of contact with my xbox. Nor through ftp. I recon this is because Windows is to stupid to understand that connection to 192.169.0.2 means using connection2 instead of the connection1 that is default for ftping and such.

Something is wrong with your connection2 card or cable you say... Nope.. Using linux these things work perfect, but with schoolapplications that I cannot port to linux my machine often run Windows for couple of days without booting, in which time I'd like to have my internet available on the xbox. Also because I cannot find any good xboxconnect/xlink-clients for xbox.

What's wrong? Have anyone had this problem? I keep rereading the settings over and over again, but they seem valid. Is it usererror, or strickly the typical f'ing windows-errors playing games with me?

#87 rronin99

rronin99

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE (teabagger25 @ Sep 11 2004, 05:24 PM)
Now I've just gone wireless with a linksys 54G router and ethernet bridge. XBox is on the network and I can access it and FTP to and from the XBox from my PC. However when I try to access my shared stream drive from within media center I keep getting 'access denied' errors. It's got me stumped. I'm thinking it's something to do with user accounts blah blah blah on my PC but I'm just going round in circles with it. In the XboxMediaCenter.xml I've got the smb path for the stream drive set to <path>smb://192.168.1.226/Movies/</path> which is the IP address of the 54G ethernet bridge... It's doing my swede in.

I have the same problem. I can ftp w/the xbox, and in my firewall I've entered it's IP address to allow access to my comp, but I can't get my xbox to view any shared files from my pc.

#88 reckless67

reckless67

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:09 PM

I have my Xbox connected to my Linksys WRTG54 router. I am transferring files from my Xbox to my PC using FlashFXP 3.0. I am only hitting speeds of 28 KB/s.
Should I not be getting alot faster speeds than this?

Thanks

#89 vampman

vampman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:57 AM

Alright, I've modified several boxes now, and once in awhile I'll get one that dosn't allow me to read the files in any of the directories via flashfxp (with passive mode off).
Now, this western digital in this v1.1 xbox seems to be having difficulties showing me anything other then the partitions, and I've looked everywhere online, and I've found a few posts regaurding the same problem, but there is no real solid answer other then "did you check your cables?" and "is passive mode off?" It seem's as though it's a compatability issue or something. What's odd.. is that this is just a stock drive, and I need the files off of it for a larger hdd to work on that xbox. Trying to move this 120 gig HDD from one xbox to another and replace it with a 200 gig drive.

#90 Cathesdus

Cathesdus

X-S X-perience

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:04 PM

Try setting up Port Forwarding on your router. Set the IP Address of the Machine to port forward to your Xbox's IP and then set the Inbound & Outbound ports to 21.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users