4 replies to this topic

#1 nukieman

nukieman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 12:09 AM

Been rading alot and trying to understand exactly how this software is working. I am using the 2 guides here to help me install a new HD. The install new HD tutorial says to use the following MENU in evox.ini
Section "Install Menu"
{
Item "Install New drive",@210
Item "Settings",@9
Item "Reboot",@5
}

[Action_10]

Info "Install HDD - Xbox-Scene"
Warning "This will format all drives"
Warning "Make sure you have a backup of C & E"
Progress "Formatting drives"

ConfigSector "\backup\disk.bin"
Format c:
Format e:
Format f:
Format x:
Format y:
Format z:

What does ConfigSector "\backup\disk.bin do?
Earlier in the turorial is says to run "backup" and this will add 5 files to the c:\backup . These are then use to make the Evox install disk. How are these files use in the HD upgrade?

#2 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 12:30 AM

The ConfigSector installs the bootloader AFAIK.

The "Backup" directory contains things which Evolution-X found in your Xbox

This consists of your current BIOS, your current serial EEPROM, you hard disk password/lock then again in text, etc.

I've never used these files to install a new drive so I don't know what you are referring to in that they are needed for the new hard disk.

#3 s_lipowitz

s_lipowitz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 02:12 AM

I always thought the ConfigSector command was used to configure the layout and size of the partitions to format... if i'm saying that right

When you do it yourself via FTP, you have to get the key and such before issueing the command to format. I would imagine the configsector essentially does the same, but instead uses the "disk.bin" file to directly recreate the same structure on the drive before the "backup" command was used.

Again, this is my assumption, but I don't know if this is true for a fact.

--

On a side note nukieman, the process you are following works just fine. I've done it a couple of times, and never ran into any issues. So just go for it and don't worry smile.gif

#4 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 05:11 AM

Could be, although why put this in a seperate file then?

With fixed values like this a file of this size is not needed.

I had assumed that this file consisted of additional information needed on the hard drive, but what?

I guess I'll have to take a look at it to find out.

#5 s_lipowitz

s_lipowitz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 05:26 AM

<shurg>

When you look at the file, nothing is really understandable. It's also filled with alot of extra whitespace. And it's an even 512k in size.

I can see where your idea comes from, however.

Then again, I've never really figured out the whole "behinds the scene" magic with the FTP method of formating the drive, and the use of the "key". When the first command is issued ("Formatpath \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1"), where does it get the info on partition size and other atributes? Is this preset in the eeprom/bios/??.

Sounds like something interesting to look into!! blink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users