X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Anything Electronic
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 June 2004 - 04:45 AM

And BOOM! 2fps! Wahoo you'll be playing now. Go ahead a try.. you might be lucky and get 3fps... or 4 with 128mb of ram.

#32 BadAngel

BadAngel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 04:20 AM

very informative post

thanks.

if u dont mind i'll be ripping off the points in a text file and using them as random quotes on my site just like in mediaxmenu.com

#33 drleephd

drleephd

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 22 June 2004 - 04:36 AM

one more. I hear this one too d**m often.

[*] Playing DVDs on your xbox will not burn out your laser.

Just like playing DVDs in your PC or home DVD Player won't burn it out. The drives are the same and lasers are usually rated for around 100,000hrs.
(11.4 years non stop) you can count on your DVD motor burning out before your laser.

I don't know about ps2. old ones used sh1tty laser assemblies and burned out over time, can't say that it's from DVDs though, or if the new ones are better.
I don't own a ps2.

#34 ares-x-

ares-x-

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 02 September 2004 - 02:03 PM

This was by far the best topic i've Read so far... if your just starting out... or a modding god/godlike person you can learn something from it and if you think you didnt your a liar...hehe thanks ben jeremy for the topic

#35 Heartbyte

Heartbyte

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:30 PM

Didnt awnser a primal questions :

do NTSC system (USA/CANADA) will play PAL games ?

#36 Dozer

Dozer

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Xbox...
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 October 2004 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (Heartbyte @ Sep 23 2004, 09:33 PM)
Didnt awnser a primal questions :

do NTSC system (USA/CANADA) will play PAL games ?

I'm 100% noob and common sense and a guide or 2 told me (and would have told you) that a modded xbox will play any region of game.

#37 gussy

gussy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Sep 25 2003, 12:31 AM)
[*] Wanna save your xbox and keep it running cool? This is VERY important, but I have NEVER heard it mentioned on this forum.

After you are done modding your xbox, or touching the MoBo, you should IMMEDIATELY use an ELECTRONICS BRUSH with ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL to clean the oil/grease from the components that was transferred from your fingers/skin.

You should make sure the CPU, the NVIDIA GPU chip and the CONEXANT chip are extra clean, as these are the chips that are most likely to burn out due to heat.

Oil from your skin causes "hot spots" on the chips, that will cause them to fail prematurely.

I just felt it was about time we had a post about this (since so many people are having overheating problems that are causing damage to their xbox.)

I also needed to get my CAPITAL LETTER fix for the day

taken from hardware/case modding

[*] The XBox is a part of you , if you destroy it you will die.

[*] it is possible so far to run ONE thing only on an unmodded box, xb linux

[*] There are Seven versions of X-Box currently known about: Version 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6
The actual motherboard changed with version 1.2 and again slightly with 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5 models.
As far as software goes, the BIOS RC4 keys changed with version 1.1, and remained the same afterward. "Dual Boot" BIOSes will work on any Xbox up to version 1.3.
The 1.3 Xbox was the first "Anti-Mod" revision, removing the LFRAME signal of the LPC port. Newer 1MB Mod chips have reworked their LPC interface to get around this limitation. "CheapMods", however, will not work with versions 1.3 and later.
The 1.4 Xbox is basically a 1.3 Xbox with a new TV Encoder (Focus chip), while the 1.5 is like the 1.4, except that further "anti-mod" measures have been taken, removing the Ground, 3.3V and 5V lines from the LPC port. The new encoder chip means that the old hacked BIOSes no longer work. It requires a newer hacked BIOS based on the 5101 BIOs (liek the Evo-X M7 BIOS)
Furthermore, the v1.5 will require the user to get Ground, 3.3V, and 5V lines from elsewhere on the motherboard. 29-Wire modchips will still work, if they have the newer BIOSes.
We are still figuring out the 1.6 Xbox. M$ seems to have integrated some functionality into two custom chips - the video encoder (do not confuse with GPU) is now the Xcalibur and the BIOS seems to have been placed into a "Xyclops" chip and is now loaded over the serial LPC Bus (like most mod chips). Several groups have had breakthroughs, and it looks like modding is possible, with about 5 more wires soldered onto the back of the motherboard.
System Info for the first 1.6 found:
K: 1.00.5838.01
D: 1.00.5659.03

Go HERE for a guide to identifying your version.

[*] The Action Replay for Xbox only allows you to use "power saves" which are save games with certain features enabled. It does not work with codes.

[*] The Xbox does support a mouse, with the more recent XDKs. At this time, no commercial games support it, and there is NO POSSIBILITY that commercial apps or any homebrew apps can use a mouse unless the source code is available for homebrew developers to modify.

[*] There is no support for a keyboard in ANY commercial games. They cannot be 'patched' for this, either.

[*] if you are running linux, the xbox does support a mouse and keyboard. Also, Phantasy Star Online for the Xbox supports a keyboard; MS is even giving away free controller port-to-usb adapters (you still pay for shipping).

[*] When you first install your modchip, if the xbox boots 3 times and then flashes red and green (FRAG), then u most likely have no bios installed on the chip. MAke sure you put a bios on, and if it still FRAG's, then u possibly could have a bad chip!

[*] That an xbox can hurt you. if not properly used.
He's tellin the truth on that one, I cut my finger on that magnetic shield metal located right underneath the top of the box's case. It was like a paper cut times 10. wasn't good

[*] Never touch the power supply when its plugged in, unless you like to see your body convulse.

Yeah, the old got caught up on the power supply trick, a quick warning to people
taking there x-box apart, call me a oh, s wanker, but iv been a tech for a long time and although not up on computer lingo and abbreviations ( god the abbreviations), but please be so carful holding the power supply when removing, theres the capacitor in there wich will put two nasty holes in your finger/hand, whichwill burn deep, and likely get infected, a paper cut is picnic compared to.

#38 enderandrew

enderandrew

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (Dozer @ Oct 5 2004, 05:26 PM)
I'm 100% noob and common sense and a guide or 2 told me (and would have told you) that a modded xbox will play any region of game.

It's not a matter of region codes. PAL and NTSC formats are completely different video signals. A PAL XBox will need a serious mod to put out an NTSC video signal and vice versa.

#39 tgeorgo

tgeorgo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 01 December 2004 - 05:09 PM

i think that with the enigma videomode switcher and a tv capaable of ntsc will get closer to the ntsc games, and they are cheaper and there are also soooo many offers in usa...

60 euros for HALO 1(!)

nice very nice topic, noobes all the way

I love being a noob there is so much to learn till you get a pro that makes you wanna be a noob for ever laugh.gif

#40 ChefBooyadee

ChefBooyadee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 07:42 AM

If you use an upscan converter (also known as a VGA Box sometimes), you can watch NTSC or PAL stuff using a computer monitor. Same thing with most TV cards for PCs - plug your video into it's video inputs, and set your video standard in your TV software manually. Gotta be careful with some of those cards though - most H/W encoding cards, and lots of PVR/TV applications will introduce a second or two of delay, which totally kills any decent gameplaying, unless you're simulating drunk driving with Burnout or something.

Naturally, you'll still need a modded box(because of Region coding), but this way you can get around the NTSC/PAL problem.

-chef

#41 sonicyouth

sonicyouth

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 06:15 AM

Hey guys well as u can see i am the biggest noob here and wish to know whats a mod and how do i just get to play online fast and easy with my xbox all this stuff really gets to my head but cant understand please someone help a newcomer out?so Email to me a Thepumpkins2@aol.com uhh.gif unsure.gif

#42 AdemoS

AdemoS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:51 AM

Hey thanks alot man, answered just about every question. Though a friend of mine supposedly got some kind of windows 2k running on his. I'm sure I'll get blasted with posts saying "not possible" or the like.

But netherless, I've never been a fan of opening up my system to mod it. Always ended up breaking it. So I guess that Linux deal is the only way to go without modding?

Purpose=playing different kinds of video files+playing game backups on DVDR
Stats=v1.0.4034 thompson

So if anyone reading this has anwers, or thinks I should move the post to a seperate thread, let me know and I will.

#43 Druchii

Druchii

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 02:58 PM

GREAT, just what i needed,thank god i didn't start playing my Xbox in the bath... phew smile.gif

This is probably THE best intro to a new area of exploration that i have ever had laugh.gif

Thanks guys smile.gif

#44 GameDTX

GameDTX

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:10 PM

[quote=AnThRaX,Feb 2 2004, 04:19 PM]
ben, ur kindda wrong, their is a gc emulator for the pc, its still in beta stages, if they can do it for the pc, why the hell cant they for the xbox? wink.gif [/quote]
IF you want to see things at <1fps, then yes, it's possible to emulate the GC on Xbox.

Seriously, performance will suck in no uncertain terms.

Running a full-blown GC emu on a PC will require the latest and greatest - which has the Xbox outclassed by 4 times the clock and 6 times the FSB, 1GB of RAM, and twice the bandwidth available form the hard drive.

Emulating the GC is not practical on the Xbox, and never will be (same goes for PS2 and Dreamcast). We are lucky to have N64 - and even that's got difficulties, due to memory issues, and the GC is faster, in some ways, than the Xbox in processing power (having followed the Xbox).

Practical emulation generally requires a ten-fold increase in processing power on the target machine, and what we have is, at BEST a 1-to-1 relationship. NOT GONNA HAPPEN. [/quote]
TOLD! laugh.gif

[/quote]

hehe 1fps, still could be, prooves my point.

#45 joebarbs

joebarbs

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE(BenJeremy @ Sep 24 2003, 11:59 PM)
[*] Wanna save your xbox and keep it running cool? This is VERY important, but I have NEVER heard it mentioned on this forum.

After you are done modding your xbox, or touching the MoBo, you should IMMEDIATELY use an ELECTRONICS BRUSH with ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL to clean the oil/grease from the components that was transferred from your fingers/skin.

You should make sure the CPU, the NVIDIA GPU chip and the CONEXANT chip are extra clean, as these are the chips that are most likely to burn out due to heat.

Oil from your skin causes "hot spots" on the chips, that will cause them to fail prematurely.

I just felt it was about time we had a post about this (since so many people are having overheating problems that are causing damage to their xbox.)

I am ordering supplies from Radio Shack for my upcoming X3 chip mod install. I looked for an "electronics brush" but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know if Radio Shack carries this, and if so, can you provide a link or product number? If radio shack doesn't carry it, where can I find it? Also where can I find Isopropyl Alcohol?

Thanks!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users