• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#31 insectgod

insectgod

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 12:39 AM

I currently have a matrix mod chip in my version 1.1 (I think) xbox. It never stays in place for very long, but I don't really want to get into soldering. My question is can anyone who knows the matrix and a newer (no-solder) chip tell me if they stay put better than the matrix? I know , I know solder would fix that problem but I don't want to fry my xbox. Thanks if anyone can help.

#32 lookformeb

lookformeb

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 February 2004 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (insectgod @ Jan 28 2004, 08:39 PM)
I currently have a matrix mod chip in my version 1.1 (I think) xbox. It never stays in place for very long, but I don't really want to get into soldering. My question is can anyone who knows the matrix and a newer (no-solder) chip tell me if they stay put better than the matrix? I know , I know solder would fix that problem but I don't want to fry my xbox. Thanks if anyone can help.

Most solderless chips are just as reliable as the others, not very. Consider just paying someone to install chip that requires some soldering. smile.gif

#33 XtremeShrapnel

XtremeShrapnel

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (insectgod @ Jan 29 2004, 02:39 AM)

I personally prefer the X-Bit. Very, very easy to install, can be flashed via USB before you even install it, and stays put like a champ, have had absolutely zero problems with this chip! biggrin.gif

#34 xboxmodderr4u

xboxmodderr4u

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 06:31 PM

Seriously.. Soldering is not that big of a deal.. I personally had an extreme phobia of soldering but after fighting with pogo pins and always realigning them had finally driven me to go for it. Doing a little reasearch on soldering practices, I had found that it really isnt that hard. So I went for it and gave it a go and next thing I know I was soldering the "DO" point on the motherboard , the one on the top of the mobo which is quite small, and success.. I have two tips that seemed to help me alot. First use "FLUX". Its like a dried honey looking substance that spreads the soldering evenly. It also keeps the solder from sticking to the end of the iron. Secondly, when your iron is at the right temperature melt a little solder on the tip of the iron and then just apply it to the spot where you want to solder to. This will free up one of your hands. It really is very easy. Practice, Practice, Practice.... It is something you should really want to learn because soldering has many applications that you will need to do if you are a so called "modder".. Good luck and be confident.. You can do it...

#35 OscarMayer

OscarMayer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 02:18 AM

Hey
I'm a total n00b, and i was interested in getting a mod chip, so i could backup xbox games. i dont prefer to do soldering at, all, and all i really need my mod chip to do is play backups of my games. i looked at some newer chips, such as the Xenium, which comes with a solder-less adaptor, but i heard that soldering is still required to atatch the adapter to the chip. Also, i heard that there is a way you can switch your mod chip off to continue xbox live. I know that there is a chart at this site, but frankly, i was a little confused. if its not too much trouble, could someone explain this little dilemna to me?
Thanks a lot,
OscarMayer

#36 frank10

frank10

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 03:48 PM

I installed a xenium over the weekend without much of a problem. I spent more time taking the box apart than soldering.

I did the quick solder method, it was very easy.

for the d0 connection, get a magnifying glass.

get a low wat iron, desolder braid, solder, flux, magnifying glass and go for it.

i did practice on an old circuit board for a couple of minutes.

#37 hch

hch

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 09:39 AM

Hope this helps!!!

I have been in the modding scene since less than a month, but these days i have been reading a lot, and everybody seems to have different opinions based on their own experiences. So here comes mine:

I got an xbox over 1 year ago, and after spending a lot of money buying 7 games, i finally get bored of playing same games so my xbox stood resting since last christmas. One day i was searching something at google and discovered a news about modding your console using only exploits. It made me happy as i had consoles since the beginning of times, as follows: NES, GameGear, Genesis, SNES, N64, PS and PS2 before Xbox. None of them was modded because i was scared of frying my money...

After considering that my xbox was not giving any fun to me, i decided to "risk" it and try some of the exploits to do anything new with my box. I read a lot, downloaded lots of software, info, exploits, tutorials... and then my great doubts came, everybody seemed to have problems with bios versions, hotswapping, and nothing was clear. I tried some things, always scared to get my box useless, with no success. But at that point i wanted to do something with the green box!!!

So i found a site selling mod chips. New problem, which one should i take? Reading forums again blah blah blah, i decided to take a solderless chip, because i had no soldering skills and neither the tools to do that. I bought a Xecuter 2.3Lite+ and i had it at home next day (great delivering company!!!) I opened the box, installed the chip following the tutorials at the xecuter site, and with some minor adjustments to the pogo pins, all working. Really easy, so i recommend all you scared of soldering or modding your box to do it. I have the console on a table, i never move it from there, so i don't think the chip will move from its working position, and i am having a lot of fun with the xbox again, playing emulators, divx movies and my backuped games biggrin.gif

Wish I could have done this before!!!

#38 sic_conceptions

sic_conceptions

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 02:55 PM

hi, im new to the scene.
havent done to much to my xbox yet.
ive been thinking about getting a mod chip. one of these 4th genration ones.
i want to take full advantage of my xbox.
i would like to be able to use new dashboards, put in a new hdd, put in a ned dvd drive, backup games onto the hdd/play them from the hdd, and so on(jsut so you get an idea of wehat i want).
ive got a xbox version 1.0 and i found someone who can do the soldering for me.
well, as i said, ive been taking a look at these new 4th generation mod chips. ive been leaning to the smartxx 4mb.
is this a good choice for my needs? is there anything i should be aware of about this or any other chips before purchase?
thanks for any apllies before hand.

#39 MaHoRo X

MaHoRo X

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 20 March 2004 - 03:08 PM

I recomend Xenium or Smart XX is a 4th gen modchip (latest) with an OS and is very easy to install. I got Xenium and it works exelent!. wink.gif

#40 bigparao

bigparao

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 09:57 AM

hi,

(i really hate to ask this.... but)
i am just about to buy a modchip for my box (1st time), these are my choices:

x2.3b lite 79$
x2.3b pro 95$
xenium 89$ (genuine)

(dont worry about what currency)

so i'm looking for OPINIONS about what i should get. Please dont just say "its up to you", I would like to hear what you think. For reference, i intend to use xbox for games/dvd player/linux- basically everything.

obviously theres not a lot of difference between the prices for me so DONT recomment the x2 lite just because its 10$ less. I am not scared by dip switches or ftp/other admin stuff. Please dont use something trivial to determine- but if there really is nothing else then say so.

the reason i ask is because i would have thought the xenium was better than both the other two based on its "4th gen"-ness. (does the xenium OS have overheads? or is it just run before the particular bios)

I am fine with soldering (though thats not really gonna help the decision).

thankyou,
parao!

#41 MrDonBonJovi

MrDonBonJovi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 12:55 PM

Just looking into Xbox as a media player. Would probably buy one when the drop in price again. I would be using it primarily for playing media on an HDTV, divx and xvid. Ive soldered things before shouldnt really have a problem. There would be games played on the xbox aswell, I doubt I would ever use xbox live. But its always nice to see if I can still use it. Which modchip do you guys reccommend?

#42 matthew2456

matthew2456

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 01:14 PM

i bought a duox chip, it was a lot cheaper as does everything that you mentioned you wanted to do, i could really recommend it but it depends if you would ever take advantage of the extra features on the smart xx for example, and if not is it worht paying the extra?
matthew

#43 Mexgamer

Mexgamer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:45 PM

1st time poster, looking for help.
Im looking for a modchip to play imports. Is the Chameleon+solderless adapter a good choice, and can it run the EvolutionX_Build_3921?
Will the chip come with the cables to reflash it, or do I purchase them seperatly?

Thanks.

#44 Bwsk8

Bwsk8

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 23 March 2004 - 10:47 PM

I purchased a xecuter light 2.3 but found out the site I bought it at was a scam ( grr.gif xbox-modchips.com grr.gif ). So I checked the xbox-scene shopping fourms and found a reputable site to buy from and purchased an Xenium and slodered it myself using the pin header method. I had only messed around with and never even used a soldering gun before that but the install went fine. I'm happy that the first site was a scam because the Xenium is an awsome chip with a great OS and lots of ram. I haven't tried any other chips yet but I would definatley recommend the Xenuim. Also watch out for the fake Xeniums the some scam companies are selling.

#45 luniticlizard

luniticlizard

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 05:31 PM

Some one a long time ago asked about the X-Bit chip from DMS? Well, I don't know if anyone cares, but here goes. i have installed that chip on two Xboxs and I am about to do it again on a third. The first two times I bought it from thr UK, now I am waiting to buy it from USA (cheaper).
It's installation is a breeze. Just make sure the pins are lined up right. When I load the bios in, I like to change the boot screen so i know that it is on. I have bad soldering skills (but they are inmproving) so that is the main reason I liked this chip, plus, it has usb, which makes it a breeze to flash.
A guy I knew had trouble installing one, so much in fact, that he sold it too a friend of mine for 30 bucks. I installed the chip with no problem on my friends box. So, all in all, I like the chip. We have no problems with it, the xbox gets moved around a lot and it works great. So, yeah, that is that.
I don't think there is anything to secial about any of them, in my opionion. Although, the ones that have ntwork/hdd activity sound appealing to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users