#1 XanTium

XanTium

Xanta Powa!

• Admin
  • 3,110 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 October 2002 - 03:47 PM

CD-Version means that movies/music might have been downsampled so the release can fit on 1 or more cdr/cdrw's, but NOTHING has been removed.

DVD-RIP means that movies/music/textures have been 'ripped' (removed and relinked) so it can fit on or more cdr/cdrw's. The .nfo files should contain more info about what has been ripped away.

#2 dotKAMbot

dotKAMbot

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 07:49 PM

doesn't cd version mean that the original was on a cd and not a dvd? Such games as The Sims and Ghost Recon are cd versions.

I would still consider a game with downsampled movies a rip.

dKb

#3 sulfur

sulfur

Super Xbox Saiyan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 July 2003 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE (dotKAMbot @ Apr 14 2003, 05:49 PM)
doesn't cd version mean that the original was on a cd and not a dvd? Such games as The Sims and Ghost Recon are cd versions.

I would still consider a game with downsampled movies a rip.

dKb

no. there not burn on a cd. read the .nfo w/ notepad for information.

#4 dfairch

dfairch

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 08:00 PM

I have a modded xbox and burn dvds only for it. The dvd backups play just fine on the modded box, but I get an "Incompatible media error" when trying to play them on an unmodded xbox. Why is that? I was always under the assumption that backups of the original game could be played on any xbox. Not so??

#5 yourwishismine

yourwishismine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 01 January 2004 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE (dfairch @ Dec 31 2003, 04:00 PM)
I have a modded xbox and burn dvds only for it. The dvd backups play just fine on the modded box, but I get an "Incompatible media error" when trying to play them on an unmodded xbox. Why is that? I was always under the assumption that backups of the original game could be played on any xbox. Not so??

This has got to do with the original xbox bios recognizing the media in the drive as recordable media and then it will not work with the original xbox bios. That is why a MOD chip, or soft MOD that 'overwrites' the original bios is required to play backups.

#6 recon66

recon66

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 09:42 PM

OK, I follow your explanation, but, is there a way to reconstruct the original DVD so it can be used on an unmodded xbox?

#7 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 February 2004 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (recon66 @ Feb 14 2004, 05:42 PM)
OK, I follow your explanation, but, is there a way to reconstruct the original DVD so it can be used on an unmodded xbox?

Original DVDs should be playable on ALL Xboxes.

If you are talking about putting all the files from an original onto a DVD-/+R (creating a backup), it will NOT play unless you have a modchip, or have preformed a TSOP flash, or one of the various exploits.

aka backups don't play on unmodded boxes.

#8 recon66

recon66

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 12:34 AM

I still don't follow: what is on a DVD is data. Is it not possible to copy the original bit by bit onto a DVD? In other words, just clone the original. What am I missing?

#9 Helpfull

Helpfull

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 06:59 PM

Here's the deal: DVD(meaning commercial applications), DVD-R, and DVD+R are actually 3 different media types. Check out this site: DVDRHELP

#10 eebeejay

eebeejay

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 05:16 AM

QUOTE (recon66 @ Feb 15 2004, 01:34 AM)
I still don't follow: what is on a DVD is data. Is it not possible to copy the original bit by bit onto a DVD? In other words, just clone the original. What am I missing?

Sure, you can copy all of the files from the original data DVD, but in theory, the disc is not "completely" cloned because the media is different. Face it, a DVD is a different media than DVD+/-R/RW.

The Xbox knows recordable media, and wasn't meant to accept it, which is why you NEED a modchip to "trick" the Xbox into thinking that the media is original, thus letting it play.

No mod, no recordable media.

#11 drako

drako

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 12:45 PM

no thats always been a problem with video games. it has something to do with the way the beginning of the disk is written i think... dont quote me im not positive.

#12 G-FORCE420

G-FORCE420

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 05:44 AM

I think the system checks for some signed coding in the beginning and last parts of the disc and if they are different it won't take the game, thats what im under the impression of. regardless, it cant play without a chip.

#13 Yox

Yox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 11:15 AM

With PC rips they normally remove music and video and high res textures etc. Is this what is done with X-Box rips? So if I was to get a rip of GTA3 would I not get the radio stations or a rip of KOTOR and lose the cut scenes?

#14 jedi6

jedi6

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 01:32 PM

My burner allows me to change the bitsetting of a dvd+r to dvd-rom. This is using a hacked firmware on a nec 2500a. Has anyone had any experience trying this and seeing if that makes a difference playing backed up games on an unmodded xb? This would at least take care of the argument about the different types of dvds I would think.

#15 thebigj706

thebigj706

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 01:58 AM

EVERYONE the reason you need a modchip to play backups is because all retail games are signed with an RSA code at the beginning of the DVD. The modchip isnt tricking the console into thinking its a different media,i believe dvd-/+r doesnt matter to a dvd-rom drive, it is just the RSA key that is being bypassed. Thats why theres all those projects to find the RSA key, so they can boot their own progs and stuff wtihout a modchip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users