geniusalz

Team MXM

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:05 PM

True, the RSA key needs to be correct. If it were just the media type, mass "factory" produced dvd's from China would work on an unmodded Xbox, but they don't.

Edited by geniusalz, 01 June 2004 - 01:06 PM.

#17 Kthulu

Kthulu

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 June 2004 - 02:23 AM

actually, xbe's do have media flags embedded in them so that they will only run from certain media and if the region flag in the xbe matches the region of the xbox. it is documented in the xdk that there are separate media flags for hard-drive, dvdrom, xboxdisc, and others, but there is no documented discernment between dvd+r and dvd-r.

ultimately, it IS the RSA key that prevents backups from running on an unmodified xbox. if you edit the xbe's to change their media flags, RSA key no longer matches the hash of the xbe. i've read seemingly ambiguous information regarding whether or not the actual disc is signed, so i'll take someone else's word on that. the bottomline that everyone should accept tho is that a backup will never run on an unmodified xbox. unless someone gets REALLY lucky, it will take YEARS to crack the MS RSA encryption key.

no information such as music or cut-scenes are lost when backing-up an xbox game..unless you purposely leave it out to save space.

a modchip is not necessary to modify an xbox. you can flash the tsop (onboard bios chip in xbox) or you can use an audio or font exploit. the UDE exploit is really living up to it's name. if i were just starting out, that is the route i would take, but tsop flashing isn't very hard either and it makes lots of things easier and less complicated...but i digress...

#18 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 05 June 2004 - 10:42 AM

It's a combination of things, actually: media type and signature.

If you could copy all the files (without touching them) and press them onto a DVD, theoretically it would work fine. The Xbox would see the signature was valid, and it would also see it was an "original" DVD in a manner of speaking, because it was pressed and not burned.

However, since pressing DVDs isn't an option, we can do the following:
-Leave the signature intact and burn the files onto a DVD-R, at which point the media check will trigger (because it's a DVD-R) and kick you out
or
-Change the media type to accept all discs and burn the files onto a DVD-R, at which point the Xbox will notice the altered signature and kick you out.

There is no way around this by changing bitsettings of your burner. It really IS that simple. As I said, you could press it, but come on...

A modchip/soft mod remedies each of these situations...so why look any further than that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users