Photo

Can I Upgrade My Hard Drive To A Larger Unit ?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 XanTium

XanTium

Xanta Powa!

• Admin
  • 3,110 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 October 2002 - 04:16 PM

Yes , it's possible.
You need a modchip with HDD-swap-trick thought. Check our modchip tables ( http://www.xbox-scene.com/modchips.php ) if you are unsure if your mod has the HDD-swap-trick. A tutorial how to install a new HD with EvolutionX can be found here ( http://www.xbox-scen...dd-install2.php and http://www.xbox-scen...les/hdd-ftp.php )

#2 roddyguk

roddyguk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 07:49 PM

Ive just downloaded and installed the new evolution-x bios,
would i be able to run a bigger hard drive then 120GB?
Or does it depend on the type of modchip.
i have a cheapmod SST49LF020

#3 heinrich

heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 December 2003 - 11:05 PM

Cleaned up this thread a bit since a lot has changed in the last year.

ANY IDE drive will work in the Xbox. However, not all drives can be locked. To date, there has been no connection drawn between the characteristics of a drive and its capability of being locked.

The retail xbox kernel, and most hacked kernels use lba28 (logical block addressing) which limits the size of the hard drive to 137gigs (137,438,953,472 bytes)
Thanks to the great work by oz_paulb we can now use hard drives upto nearly 2.2tb (2,199,023,255,040 bytes)

In order for a retail MS kernel to boot, the xbox hard drive must be 'locked' to the xbox. The hard drive can be locked/unlocked with the Evox Dash (versions 3921 and up) and Team Assembly's Config Magic. Lockable Drives
Because of the nature of exploits / 'softmods', the MS kernel is what loads when you turn on the xbox, so in order to swap the hard drive, you must first lock the hard drive in a PC with your xbox's password.

#4 420KILLA

420KILLA

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 09:13 AM

ok i just bought a 250 gig HDD from maxtor that is a 7200 rpm. my friend has the same exact maxtor that is 120 gigs in his xbox. i was wondering if nowadays the xbox can support this much (250 gig) I have heard that it has, but i was wanting to make sure. Your help would be greatly appreciated TY

#5 mouchyn

mouchyn

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:34 PM

mine is soft-modded and i got my 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB western digital drive to work just fine. Use a newer bios and it should work great!

#6 mwm

mwm

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:52 PM

Thats wonderful news for me smile.gif
Finally I can do something useful with my biiiiig disk *S*

Thanks!

#7 keaton_sten

keaton_sten

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 04:23 PM

How exactly do you utilize a drive that's bigger than 137gb?
I have a Maxtor 160gb in right now, and it's working fine, and I've locked it with Config Magic. But it still only recognizes 137gb. BTW, I have an Xecutor2 Lite.
Thanks for the help.

#8 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 January 2004 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (keaton_sten @ Jan 27 2004, 12:23 PM)
How exactly do you utilize a drive that's bigger than 137gb?
I have a Maxtor 160gb in right now, and it's working fine, and I've locked it with Config Magic. But it still only recognizes 137gb. BTW, I have an Xecutor2 Lite.
Thanks for the help.

Read this thread..
http://forums.xbox-s...T&f=41&t=149591

and if you want to read for an hour, read this thread..
http://forums.xbox-s...ST&f=41&t=97997

#9 dontasciime

dontasciime

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:36 PM

Can someone tell me with the info below ,would this xbox be capable of having a bigger hard drive put in .I think it is but just want someone to verify it for me , i had a look at the table on here that kinda explains ,the types of chip etc ,and i came to the conclusion that ,it would be safe to upgrade the hard drive ,as i believe the chip supports hard drive swapping ,Exactly waht wpuld happen if the chip didnt support the hard drive swap ,would it render the xbox useless even if the original drive was put back in or what ,anyway if someone that knows could give their opinion <Thanks

chip type-lpc based(sst 49lfozo
using genuine bios-evox d6 eject fix
bios md5-7c29b578a4b0084df354d0d4088083eb1c

#10 bgrill27

bgrill27

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 01:26 PM

Just keep the old HDD as a backup. I would rcommend the X4981.67 bios for you, I would flash your chip with it. If, for some reason, the mod doesn't support HDD swap, then just pop your old hdd back in there.

#11 ~damian~

~damian~

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 02:36 PM

Does anyone know if you can upgrade your harddrive if you dont have a mod-chip? maybe with a new bios or with slayers autoinstall or something similar? this would be very helpful thanks.

#12 Ricken

Ricken

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 01:22 PM

i have xbox version 1.0, I've heard that I don't need a modchip to change hd on this version, is this true?

#13 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:10 AM

QUOTE (Ricken @ Mar 29 2004, 09:22 AM)
i have xbox version 1.0, I've heard that I don't need a modchip to change hd on this version, is this true?

That is a half-truth.

You need to do either an exploit OR a modchip to swap HDDs (for any version). You can't upgrade without a mod of some sort.

#14 jerry3601

jerry3601

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE (brahm2 @ Apr 4 2004, 06:10 AM)
That is a half-truth.

You need to do either an exploit OR a modchip to swap HDDs (for any version). You can't upgrade without a mod of some sort.

Quick question. I am wanting to know if it is legal to install a mod chip into my xbox. I only plan to backup the games I own. I am looking at buying an executer 2.3 lite plus. thanks

#15 crazyjeet

crazyjeet

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 11:34 AM

What about the 300gig hard drives? I was thinking of putting in one of the new 400gig hard drives but I didnt want to try it without getting some more information about it.

I dont care about locking it because I never use the original dashboard. I have xbox version 1.0 and the latest evox on my xbox.

I hope I can use the 400gig drive in it but if its not possible yet, then can i use the 300gig?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)