96 replies to this topic

#16 CyborgGamer

CyborgGamer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 05:15 PM

I have a samsung dvd in my xbox and I can read just about ANY cd, even the cheapo cdr's.

#17 upup

upup

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 22 April 2003 - 05:01 PM

all i did was connect one of my extra cd-rom drives to my xbox to play my cd-r games and when want to play originals i reconnect the ide cable to the xbox's dvd drive

#18 Fire

Fire

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Xbox<br />Internet<br />Cars<br />Computers<br />Gadgets<br />Electronics<br />TV<br />Satellite
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 May 2003 - 08:24 AM

i say .. try 1 CDR.. if doesnt work.. bad luck.. ur XBOX doesnt play em.. if it does..
its like u won the tatslotto

#19 DrDolittle

DrDolittle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 10:53 AM

Jeez, what luck I have with my newly modded Xbox. I'm part of the lucky elite with the Samsung Drive that will play virtually any CDR's. Only problem is copying ISO images on to them. Everyone that I've recently downloaded, either is corrupt, or, poorly copied.Does anybody know of a reputable source where I can download 100% workable ISO's from?
Any help would be Magic.
Cheers

DrDolittle.

#20 sableholic

sableholic

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 03:58 PM

does dvd+r games work on xbox? cause I found a really cheap dvd+rw burner and was thinking about buying it. However, if they dont work in xbox then I dont want it.

#21 Helios

Helios

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 17 May 2003 - 02:38 PM

OK i have put in CD-R media on my xbox and it plays sweet but if i can run CD-R music cds can i run CD-R data? and if so what kind of data? only stuff that is compatible with the Xbox?

#22 nitronutter

nitronutter

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 08:13 AM

tried and tested cdr np here

seems to be a samsung drive had the samsung grooves on the case (i noticed that when my local modder stripped the box
also has the 2 thumbholes in the tray

tested old 12x infiniti and 12x verbatamin cdr-audio

burnt evolutionxv1_8_458_iso onto a new 48x infiniti cdr and the xbox booted that fine smile.gif
also ftp'd into the box to verify /d was readable and it was

#23 Darkness2003

Darkness2003

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 06:24 AM

Yes you can biggrin.gif

Download latest nero burning software. choose udf/iso en there is a special xbox button "force DVD-Video compatibility mode (required for xbox TM)" then burn a game or divx file en play you DVD or CDR.

#24 jackyl_816

jackyl_816

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (jackyl_816 @ Oct 21 2002, 10:33 PM)
No,almost none of the Xbox consoles will read a backup on a cd-r,all backups must be burned to a cdr-w or dvd-r or dvd-rw,also some dvd+r media works as well. Games can be burned to a cd-r,but must be recopied to one of the above media types in order to play.

ok..at the time of my original post, we was on the 1st generation of xbox.... and almost none of them would read cd-r's.... now they are shipping with different brand dvd drives,and people are having great success with cd-r's.... this is wonderful..... so everyone should atleast play around with a couple different brands of cd-r and hope that it works.... chances are if you have a newly purchased xbox,you will be OK!!!!!

PEACE OUT!!!!!!

#25 gundamhr

gundamhr

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:39 PM

There is no list of games that will fit on CD-r(rw). There probably will never be any games that can fit themselves on a single CD. You can although, use multiple CD's to fit the cd onto. For example, if you want to transfer halo to about 3-4 cd's you can. Put the default.xbe in each cd. Then put the mulitplayer maps in maps on one cd. Then put some of the campaign maps in maps, on another cd. You should be left with a couple of maps and put those on a separate cd too. Don't bother with the bink file...all it is movies. Or you can get the bink movie editor thing and downsample the movies. This will work for many other games too, you just have to diagnose how you should do it.

#26 gundamhr

gundamhr

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:42 PM

Heh, one more thing I forgot. I forgot to mention that even if y ou have a thompson drive, you can upgrade the firmware, that might help, but do it at your own risk, because there are bad flashes and bad firmware upgrades.

#27 west17m

west17m

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (jackyl_816 @ May 31 2003, 08:11 PM)
ok..at the time of my original post, we was on the 1st generation of xbox.... and almost none of them would read cd-r's.... now they are shipping with different brand dvd drives,and people are having great success with cd-r's.... this is wonderful..... so everyone should atleast play around with a couple different brands of cd-r and hope that it works.... chances are if you have a newly purchased xbox,you will be OK!!!!!

Just to throw a wrench in the works, I "settled" for a Phillips 1.0 system and found it to work fine any any CD-R media that wasn't blue.

I helped a friend mod his 1.1 Samsung and it wouldn't read hardly anything (including DVD-r's, and rw's).

(Oh, and yes, I only burn at 2x ... although the phillips still reads at a 6x burn)

#28 psxguy

psxguy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 04:23 PM

If you have a phillips drive and you wanna get it to read any CD-R, just tweak the pot a bit. It was easier for me to remove the top of my phillips drive and turn the pot 1/4 of the way (and it reads everything I throw at it) than tearing up a PC-DvD-Rom, and cutting up my case to make it fit, etc. And I pot tweaked several phillips drives and they are still going strong.

#29 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 June 2003 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE (psxguy @ Jun 24 2003, 01:23 PM)
If you have a phillips drive and you wanna get it to read any CD-R, just tweak the pot a bit.  It was easier for me to remove the top of my phillips drive and turn the pot 1/4 of the way (and it reads everything I throw at it) than tearing up a PC-DvD-Rom, and cutting up my case to make it fit, etc. And I pot tweaked several phillips drives and they are still going strong.

To those wondering if they should tweak their pot: if you are at all familiar with tweaking PS2 drives, you should know that the Xbox drives are constructed with much higher-quality components. As long as you take caution in tweaking the potentiometer, you're far less likely to damage the drive than you would be with a PS2 drive.

Edited by Xeero, 25 June 2003 - 02:27 AM.

#30 HumanClay

HumanClay

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 01:39 AM

There probably will never be any games that can fit themselves on a single CD.

There are many a game that fit on a single cd, for instance Monopoly Party, The Sims, Smashing Drive.

OK i have put in CD-R media on my xbox and it plays sweet but if i can run CD-R music cds can i run CD-R data? and if so what kind of data? only stuff that is compatible with the Xbox?

Why would it play something that is not compatible with the Xbox?! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users