• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#46 bottjena

bottjena

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 08:21 PM

ok... I know some xbox drivers won't play backed up games on cdr's but what if you have a divx movie .. .that you want to play in an xbox media player with a modded xbox... will you be able to play the divx/xvid movie from the cdr?

#47 Dragonface

Dragonface

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 January 2004 - 06:41 AM

I got the samsung-drive have no problem playing cd-r (in xbmc)... make sure u got separate bookmarkf for iso9660 and UDF... never really use it though... streaming using relax works best for me... ohh yeah the crappy sammy wont read dvd+r mad.gif

#48 Haunted

Haunted

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (xbox01 @ Dec 23 2002, 05:00 AM)
Some brands of cd-r will work in the thompson drive. Mine reads cd-r media that are a specific tone of silver-blue on the bottom of the disc.

Have bought yesterday a Halo + Midtown Madness bundle for my son - according to DVD drive picture, I have a f*n Thomson...
Have tried several audio CD-R but none works...
Can anything be done about it ? Or maybe they will play in case I install the mod-chip ?
Please help me, I am totally frustrated - I thought I could use this xbox for something useful, such as playing my divx movies from my cdr collection... O am I lost now ?

#49 geniusalz

geniusalz

Team MXM

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 January 2004 - 04:51 PM

You can still play your cd-r collection by streaming from your CD-ROM drive on your computer to XBMP/XBMC on the xbox.

#50 Haunted

Haunted

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (Haunted @ Jan 7 2004, 02:48 PM)
Have bought yesterday a Halo + Midtown Madness bundle for my son - according to DVD drive picture, I have a f*n Thomson...
Have tried several audio CD-R but none works...
Can anything be done about it ? Or maybe they will play in case I install the mod-chip ?
Please help me, I am totally frustrated - I thought I could use this xbox for something useful, such as playing my divx movies from my cdr collection... O am I lost now ?

Have slowly figured most of the things out. Tommy's back in the shop - after visiting some stores, have found same bundle (Halo + MM3) but November build with Sammy... So I'm super happy now ! It swallowed my cd-r with burned audio and immediately played it - Tommy didn't want to do it after xx tries - so guys thos who looking to buy an XBox, get one with Sammy drive, you won't regret it biggrin.gif

#51 death_driver_911

death_driver_911

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 26 January 2004 - 04:12 AM

my Samsung drive loads all cd-r discs. never had a probolem with them. i dont ude cd-rw

#52 strukture

strukture

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE (CyborgGamer @ Apr 20 2003, 07:15 PM)
I have a samsung dvd in my xbox and I can read just about ANY cd, even the cheapo cdr's.

But isn't it true that Samsung won't read DVD+r (plus r)?

which drive is best suited to read any brand of DVD+r ? (since I have an 8x DVD+R writer)

#53 tailspower2001

tailspower2001

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (jackyl_816 @ Oct 21 2002, 11:33 PM)
No,almost none of the Xbox consoles will read a backup on a cd-r,all backups must be burned to a cdr-w or dvd-r or dvd-rw,also some dvd+r media works as well. Games can be burned to a cd-r,but must be recopied to one of the above media types in order to play.

You can make back-up copies on CD-R, but you'll never get them to work in X-Box; even if you mod your X-BOX. Now if you can make an real 1 to 1 copy on DVD-R or DVD+R then yes you can paly them on X-BOX.

#54 ravishing_despot

ravishing_despot

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 02:20 PM

on a samsung drive u can definately read back-ups on a cd-r, who ever told u that u cant is talking bs

#55 larsc

larsc

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (strukture @ Jan 31 2004, 08:39 AM)
[QUOTE=CyborgGamer,Apr 20 2003, 07:15 PM]
But isn't it true that Samsung won't read DVD+r (plus r)?

To you and Dragonface, my Samsung-drive reads the following media:
Verbatim 4x DVD+R - Mitsubishi Chemicals
Packard Hell 2.4x DVD+R - RICOHR00
That's Write 4x DVD+R - RICOHJPNR01 (Ritek-produced Ricoh-dye or some weirdness)
Verbatim 2.4X DVD+RW - Mitsubishi Chemicals

I've also used the following CD-RWs at burned full speed:
LiteOn 4-10x - NAN-YA Plastics
Verbatim 4-10x - Mitsubishi Chemicals (again)

So, yes, it does indeed read +R. I've got some -R I'm gonna borrow from a friend to test with too.

Also, it would be most helpful if people included the dye/ATIP for the media they list, going by brand alone is hopeless (f.ex Verbatim sell media produced at 7 different factories [identifies as Taiyo Yuden, Mitsubishi or CMC Magnetics] under the same name and in the same packaging).

#56 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,220 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 February 2004 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE (tailspower2001 @ Feb 1 2004, 05:37 PM)
You can make back-up copies on CD-R, but you'll never get them to work in X-Box; even if you mod your X-BOX.

If ignorance is bliss.. you are one happy fellow.

Reading the newbie forum is a laugh sometimes.. watching the blind lead the blind.

Honestly.. is you know something and can help.. then please do so.. but do not spread mis-information plz.

http://forums.xbox-s...indpost&p=90761

I wrote that 18 months ago.. and it still works.

You can make backups on CDR.. and with high success rates.

However.. only 12-15% of all of the xbox games would fit on a CD as is without tinkering with them.

I recommend using DVD-R media and tools like craxtion to get more than one full backup on a disk. Save money.

However.. if someone would like to place some of the smaller games on CDR.. don't mislead them with false information.

#57 pontfirebird73

pontfirebird73

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 February 2004 - 05:30 PM

my modified xbox plays cd-r backups flawlessly. and by deleting unneeded stuff in a game you can bump that percentage up to 20-25% of games that are able to fit on a cd-r.

#58 pruek

pruek

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 06:02 AM

I don't know how this plays out, but I can view images, divx, and avi in xbmp with a regular CD-R, my friend who has a soft-mod can also. I even burned the CD-R's at 16X. Don't know if it's a "special" Xbox or what, but it's a v1.3...who knows?

#59 Bohefus

Bohefus

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 10:52 PM

I would also like to add that Dvd+r has played on all of the 3 xbox's that I've owned. I have a Samsung drive in my modded box and I had a phillips or a thompson in the 1st box I owned(not sure which one) don't have it now.The newer box that I have that isn't modified I believe has a Samsung also.I've never had a problem with DVD+r with movies or games.I've also been able to use certain cdr's especially with XBMC(Xbox Media Center) viewing divx movies.

#60 SUBLOGIC

SUBLOGIC

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 06:09 AM

Hi all..

I see that this topic has gone on for some time, and would like to add my 2 cents.

OK... for all of you who think that you CANT use CD-R.. You are all WRONG!!

You can use CD-R and you will find that if you DONT burn at the full speed of your burner (%50 works fine every time for me), MOST XBOX's will read them.

As for the percentage rate of games that will fit on CD-R, well that has risen aswell due to 800meg CD-R and the use of Quix and the Avalaunch dash.
I use UnleashX my self but boot to Avalaunch for ISO creation, uploading using Qwix.

For those of you who dont know, Qwix incorperates a cross link file scanner.
This finds duplicate files that are some times written to the game disc to make it larger than a standard 4.7 gig DVD (meaning you cant it up as we only have 4.7 gig blanks ATM) and removes them when creating an ISO.
In 1 case, I found that a game was 4.9GB, used Qwix to create an ISO and removed the cross linked files and then became small enough to fit on CD-R.

I further looked at the games folders and found that they had place the audio/video clips repeated 5 times in 5 diff folders. Sneaky ay???

Try them both for your self and you might find that you will save some cash on DVD's!!!

Ok.. another alternative is to get ISO Craxion and burn multiple games to one DVD and use the menu maker incorperated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users