8 replies to this topic

#1 Speedo

Speedo

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 01:52 PM

Can I still store pirated games on the F: drive?

No.

Canít you change it so that drive F: with my pirated games doesnít get overwritten?

No. And by the way, this is not a Linux issue; the BIOS that supports the F: drive doesnít support any partitioning of the additional space.

Is it possible to install on E: instead of F: and by that get the dual features? Store games on F: and have linux on E: ??

/Speedo

#2 falz

falz

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 October 2002 - 03:45 PM

Yes, if you read its readme/faq, it references a 'setup8' install script. This will install it to the last 2GB of the E drive, leaving 3 available. However, there are a few issues with this.

It sounds as if it still could corrupt some data on your F drive. I ran setup8 before being aware of this, and it prevented the first game I ripped from running from the hdd. I re-ripped the game (yes, I own it) and then it worked.

Also, the xbox isnt really aware that the 2gb is taken up. So, if you rip a bunch of CDs via the MS Dash, or otherwise put files on E, it will eventually begin overwriting sectors which linux uses to make it unuseable.

For these reasons I've not yet installed xbox linux. I'm waiting for there to be virtual fileystem support, such as there was with "Eds Live CD .5"

#3 cypherpunk

cypherpunk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 06:51 PM

Not for Mandrake, but read the tutorial using Ed's (Debian).

#4 jcmann

jcmann

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 07:14 PM

Does anyone else have any experience with this? I just installed a new 120 gid hd and I would have no problem letting mandrake have all of e:.

#5 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (jcmann @ Oct 22 2002, 06:14 PM)
Does anyone else have any experience with this? I just installed a new 120 gid hd and I would have no problem letting mandrake have all of e:.

You can't unless you don't care to play games anymore!

E:\ is for saved games, additional content, music rips, etc.

If the Xbox runs out of room here it will not launch a lot of games.

#6 jcmann

jcmann

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 08:50 PM

On my 120 gig drive. I store my games on F:. I have a few things on E:. If I were to install Mandrake with Setup8 it is my understanding it would install on the last 2 gig of E: and may possible effect the first game on F:. This is just my understanding after reading the above post. Would it help if I told Evol X that I didn't have an F just for the Mandrake install? While I'm on a roll. Could I install the factory 8 gig drive, run setup8, back up E: via FTP, plug in my 120 gig hd, then restore the backup of E: to E: on my 120? These are just some of my thoughts. Thanks for everyones help this fourm is priceless.

#7 DrEggman

DrEggman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 09:54 PM

I tried setup8 on my 40 gig and here is my result. The F: Drive is no longer viewable to evolution x. In boxplorer you can see the F: drive but its contents are invisible. You can move stuff to the F: Drive and run them but it tends to currups linux shortly after. Its my understanding that setup simply takes the 2 gigs from the E drive and assigns it to the F Drive. But since I had a realf F drive it simply used the F drive. Boxplorer says F is empty but I see NO traces of linux on any other drive and the F drive is invisible to evox rendering it useless.

#8 DrEggman

DrEggman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 03:55 AM

I have evolution X looking at the F drive now, just had F turned off in the evox settings tongue.gif

Im afraid to write to this partition since I believe Linux is stored there. Yet everything tells me its empty.

#9 jcmann

jcmann

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2002 - 06:04 AM

Let me know what happens when you try to write to the F: drive. Is Mandrake running ok before you write to the F:? I still might try installing Mandrake on my factory drive then overwrite the e: of my 120 gig drive. I will let you know if I do it..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users