X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 August 2003 - 01:06 AM

UPDATED: 1-24-04

I have been reading for over an hour now, searching, trying to find the best way to attach a replacement jewel. I have not found the "definitive" way.

(I have a replacement jewel from No_Remorse coming to me in the mail biggrin.gif )

The "definitive" way will attach the jewel very securely, and have no visible side-effects.

Here are the various methods I have found:

CODE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<<1. ADHESIVES:>>>
- Super Glue / Krazy Glue: Works for some, not for others. Must have something to do with the brand/type of the glue. Some people do not recommended as it can damage plastic, and is *visible* behind the jewel. Also can become brittle and weak over time... (This is how my current jewel is mounted)

- Radioshack All-Purpose Adhesive (Item 64-2302): Apply it lightly with a paint brush, works fine.

- Testors 3502 -- Liquid Cement for Plastic (http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1450): Strong and clear. First indications are very promising!

- Black Silicon: <no info yet>

- Clear Silicon (Radioshack): Leaves no visible marks, bonds ok.

- Clear Epoxy: Too hard and permanent for this job?

- Hot Glue: Method1: If hot glue is used VERY sparingly and evenly, results are good and glue is not highly visible when placed on the "ledge". Method2: Apply glue on edge of jewel from *behind* the jewel (under the top of the case). This gives excellent results!

- Elmers Glue / Paste: Messy!  :lol:

- Caulk / Acrylic Caulk: <no info yet>

- Liquid Nails: <no info yet>

- Spray Adhesives: <no info yet>

- Resin glue (Araldite): Worked ok, but blobs and melts plastic a little.

- Clear Shoe Goop: Won't ruin paint or cases. Comes off if you want. Strong adhesion.

- Vynl Glue: Seems to be dry quick and effortlessly.

- Mastisol Liquid Adhesive: This is a medical adhesive, Heet Highly recommends!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<<2. TAPE:>>>
- Double-Sided Tape: <no info yet>

- Electrical Tape: I tried, again, don't recommend.

- Window Tint: This can be used similar to the double-sided tape.

<<<3. SCREWS:>>>
- Hex: I think this would look good, if you could countersink/predill the holes perfectly, but I am too scared to try it myself.

- Drywall: We all know what happens when you try this  :D Not recommended.

- Screw/Nut Combo: <no info yet>

<<<4. OTHER:>>>
- Velcro: <no info yet>
- JB Weld: <no info yet, but my guess is NO>

If you have details, on what works best for you, please pitch in and I will update the list as we go! beerchug.gif

The Current Definitive Way to Attach A Replacement Jewel is: Hot-Glue from the rear of the jewel, around the edge, or Mastisol Liquid Adhesive!

Edited by feflicker, 24 January 2004 - 08:37 PM.

#2 mhr_54

mhr_54

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 01:08 AM

I'd use a thin clear glue as it wouldn't bubble nor cloud and would spread evenly around the lip of the Xbox.

#3 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 01:18 AM

I'd use a thin clear glue as it wouldn't bubble nor cloud and would spread evenly around the lip of the Xbox.

That really narrows it down laugh.gif

#4 jC!

jC!

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Interests:Xbox - AudioPhile
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 August 2003 - 02:47 AM

I didn't use anything! Just stuck it in there tongue.gif

#5 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 03:17 AM

I didn't use anything! Just stuck it in there

That won't work for me, or most other people. I transport my xbox in a case all the time wink.gif

#6 jC!

jC!

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Interests:Xbox - AudioPhile
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 August 2003 - 03:23 AM

Mine stays rather stationary, occasonlly makes trips to friends homes. but anyway, try Acrilic Cement (It also comes in a tube form at local hardware stores). Dries clear and thin. I've used it for PC window mods. It's strong and if you ever want to change the jewel, pops off cleanly with some firm pressure.
Or try one of these: TAP Plastics Website

Edited by jC!, 21 August 2003 - 03:25 AM.

#7 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 August 2003 - 03:49 AM

I made a short tutorial

user posted image

Basically, no screws or Krazy Glue wink.gif

#8 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 05:05 AM

I made a short tutorial

I know, it is famous now! But it is what NOT to do. I need what TO do jester.gif

BTW, I am getting suggestions, but I was hoping to document methods that people have actually tried, and how well they have worked. Not just "ideas" wink.gif

Edited by feflicker, 21 August 2003 - 05:11 AM.

#9 GuySmily

GuySmily

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 05:43 AM

My friend and I used krazy glue, and I have used it on two case mod jobs I've done. I haven't noticed any weaknesses or anything in the plastic, and it dried perfectly clear. The only problem I've had is that I once got the glue all over my fingers, and I couldn't grip anything for a while tongue.gif

user posted image

Elmers glue was no good. I was hoping it would be nice and easy to remove, but it was messy. Epoxy is too permanent and hard to handle for a job this detailed.

edit- Isn't that notch in no remorse's jewels supposed to be used for something? I remember way back before he started, someone asked what it was for, and he said it was a secret. I want to order one from him soon too.. Too bad methius said his design was for himself only.. It's AMAZING =p

Edited by GuySmily, 21 August 2003 - 06:09 AM.

#10 Mad_Gouki

Mad_Gouki

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Interests:Gamez
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 21 August 2003 - 06:08 AM

just slap some duct tape on there and youre all set wink.gif

#11 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.

Posted 21 August 2003 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (feflicker @ Aug 21 2003, 12:05 AM)
I made a short tutorial

I know, it is famous now! But it is what NOT to do. I need what TO do jester.gif

BTW, I am getting suggestions, but I was hoping to document methods that people have actually tried, and how well they have worked. Not just "ideas" wink.gif

that wasn't an "idea"...that pic WAS my Xbox jewel

and it doesn't work good! Sure, it stays on...but it blotches (at least for me) and the screws just ruin everything...

thats just me tho tongue.gif

#12 GuySmily

GuySmily

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 06:13 AM

Well brahm, your screwed down jewel would at least work for industrial-themed xboxes. Imagine a skin (or maybe the real thing) with that aluminum/metal design with the raised diagonal lines and big screws with nuts holding down the jewel.

Sounds lame.. but.. whatever =p So is that notch really unused right now?

#13 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 06:28 AM

QUOTE (GuySmily @ Aug 21 2003, 01:13 AM)
Well brahm, your screwed down jewel would at least work for industrial-themed xboxes. Imagine a skin (or maybe the real thing) with that aluminum/metal design with the raised diagonal lines and big screws with nuts holding down the jewel.

Sounds lame.. but.. whatever =p So is that notch really unused right now?

notch? you mean the jewel hole?

i got a custom jewel from no_remorse...check it out in my siggy

it looks amazing!

#14 GuySmily

GuySmily

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 06:52 AM

Hm wait a second.. I swear his jewels had a notch on the left side.

Your new jewel looks great ;p My problem right now is that my cathode isn't really lighting up the way I wanted it to.. and my xbox is broken =p I'll find a picture of that notch..

edit: Here it is..
user posted image

I'm still totally in love with Methius's jewel though. (Hope you don't mind me posting it Methius.) I'll have to have my sister draw something like that for me.

edit 2: I found it..
Lol, it has nothing to do with an enduser feature, It is there for my
use lol.

Edited by GuySmily, 21 August 2003 - 07:16 AM.

#15 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 01:42 PM

that wasn't an "idea"...that pic WAS my Xbox jewel

I know brahm2. The "BTW" line wasn't directed at anyone, just stating that I was hoping to document results and not ideas (since the thread looked like it was starting to go that direction...)

About the notch... I have no idea if it is on each of them or not. It looks like a temporary piece that is removed in the final product (excess plastic that is trimmed off). I guess I will know when I get it! ph34r.gif

EDIT: Maybe the notch is for a "ring" clamp or something? (Looks like a metal wire in a circle...)

I updated the list with what we have so far! Keep 'em coming!

Edited by feflicker, 21 August 2003 - 02:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users