38 replies to this topic

#1 Tyrant

Tyrant

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 09:20 PM

Matrix Step by Step Installation and Evox Setup --Tyrant

This seems like a hard task given all of the information and tutorials out there, hopefully this will clear things up.
To get everything working properly you have to have all of these things work

1. Matrix w/bios working right on Xbox
2. CD-RW Evox cd
3. Network connection

Once you get your Matrix in the mail follow these steps.

1. You first need to flash the Matrix with a bios. This bios will override the Xbox bios to let you boot cd-rw cds. I recommend that you find a color xbox evo x bios.

2. You will find out that the bios that you download might be 1 meg, If you get a 256kb file then skip the next step.

3. Follow the tutorial here http://www.xbox-scen.../split-bios.php you basically get win hex, and take out Ľ of the bios. The 1 meg bios chips need to be filled by a bios to work right, therefore the bios is put in there 4 times to fill it. You only need a 256 kb piece to get the matrix to work.

4. Read this tutorial to install the bios using your computer, lpt port, programmer, and the matrix. Make sure the flashing program fully installs the bios.

5. After flashing is complete, install the Matrix in the xbox. Now when you screw it down it might be green and still not work Try screwing it down further or use a longer screw just don’t strip it!, if you have a color evox bios then it will change the screen when the Xbox boots. For instance I used a blue color bios and the xbox screen was blue. This lets you know that the bios is working, This must work or you will not be able to install evox dashboard!

6. Once that is done you must either create an iso using xiso with the evox dashboard or find an iso already made. I recommend that you find the evox dashboard with dummy files already added, its about 3 megs. I had a difficult time getting it to work until I used a Memorex CD-RW with the dummy file burned with DAO (disc at once) and finalization session with nero 5.5.9.0.

7. Pop the cd-rw in the drive and startup the xbox, make sure that the matrix green is light, you can see it on the side of the dvd drive with the top open.

8. Evox dashboard should boot, if it doesn’t then you need to make sure that the bios works and the cd-rw works.

9. Now you will be able to setup your network, follow this tutorial to setup the network http://www.xbox-scen...es/install2.php

6) Editing the network settings in Evolution-X: Once at the main menu, you will see: “Network” menu item, scroll down using your D-pad on your controller and press the “A” button. This will open the network setting screen, you will see two places for ips in the middle of the (television) screen. The first ip is the static ip for the XBOX, set it to: 192.168.000.002 (this will translate to:192.168.0.2 in Windows). The second ip is for the gateway we are going to use, enter: 192.168.000.001 (this will translate to:192.168.0.1 in Windows). You can change the ips by moving up or down on the D-pad on the controller. Once both ips are changed from 000.000.000.000, press the “Back” button (the black button in the left-middle of the controller). Reboot your XBOX (leave the cds in both drives for now as they are still needed).

7) Connecting to the XBOX via FLASHFXP: Once the XBOX has rebooted and is at the Evolution-X screen again, load up FlashFXP on your PC, After that has loaded, press the “F4” key on your keyboard. This will open the site manager (where we are going to add the XBOX as a site), click on the “New Site” button, this will open a small screen asking for the site name, enter anything you like, I use: XBOX (original I know but easy to remember) and click the “OK” button. The right hand side of the site manager screen will now be enabled, this is where we will enter the ip of the XBOX as well as the port and username & password. For the field labeled “IP Address”, enter : 192.168.0.2. For the port, leave the default port of 21. To the right of the field labeled “Username” you will see a checkbox labeled “Anonymous”, by default this is checked, leave it checked. Once you have those settings, click on the “Apply” button located at the bottom of the site manager screen. Click the “connect” button. If you have done everything according to this guide, you should now see the drives on the XBOX in the window on the right side.

8) Backing up the original XBOX dashboard: Double click on the “C” drive on the XBOX, once this is open, right click in the window (doesn’t matter where) and click on the menu item labeled “Make Folder”, once the make folder screen opens, enter whatever you like (I use something like “xboxorigdash”) and click the “OK” button, this will create the said folder. Once the folder is created, locate the xbe named “Xboxdash.xbe” on the root of the “C” drive and transfer it to your PC. Once it has been transferred to the PC, change directories on the XBOX to your new directory (double click on the folder), transfer the “Xboxdash.xbe” from your pc to the new folder on the XBOX. You are now ready to copy the Evolution-X dashboard to the XBOX.

9) Copying the Evolution-X dashboard to the XBOX: While still connected to the XBOX, go to the parent directory (you can do this by double clicking on the link labeled “Parent Directory” at the top of the “C” drive), once you see all of the drives, double click on the “D” drive, there will be an xbe named “Default.xbe” there, transfer that to your PC, once it is on your PC, rename it to “xboxdash.xbe” and transfer it back to the “C” drive (I am assuming you can find your way back to the root of the “C” drive now tongue.gif). Once you have copied this file over to the XBOX hard drive, you will also need to copy the menu.ini file that came in the rar file over to the root of the “C” drive of the XBOX so that the menu options will work correctly. If you want to use the menu option of connecting to the original MS dashboard from Evolution-X, you will need to make a copy of the “xboxdash.xbe” file you placed in that new directory, rename it to “msxboxdash.xbe” and place it in the root of the XBOX “C” drive as well. You can now disconnect from the XBOX by clicking the button at the top of the right window that looks like two cables almost joined (blue in color). Once you have disconnected from the XBOX, turn the power to the XBOX off (by pressing the small grey button in the front of the XBOX).

10) Disconnecting the PC DVD drive: Once the XBOX power is off, unplug the molex connector and the data cable from the PC DVD drive, unplug the standard Y connector from the hard drive and the power source from the XBOX. Plug the data cable back into the original XBOX DVD drive, and plug the molex connector back into the hard drive. Once you are finished, Turn the XBOX on again by pressing the eject button (the large greay button in the front of the XBOX) once the tray is open, remove the original game. After it is done loading, you should see the Evolution-X screen if everything was done according to this section of the guide.

Read through the guides on http://www.xbox-scen...m/tutorials.php they make this process a lot easier and you can get it done quick!

#2 kkattfish

kkattfish

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 October 2002 - 09:29 PM

good first post tyrant beerchug.gif

#3 Syrus

Syrus

Want Some Syrups?

• Admin
  • 907 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 October 2002 - 09:57 PM

Ditto. smile.gif

/me pins for all newbies.

#4 theferalmoon

theferalmoon

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 09:59 PM

#4 says "Read this tutorial". Is there supposed to be a link there?

#5 s_lipowitz

s_lipowitz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (Tyrant @ Oct 22 2002, 01:20 PM)
4. Read this tutorial to install the bios using your computer, lpt port, programmer, and the matrix. Make sure the flashing program fully installs the bios.

Awesome!

I only have one suggestion, as brought up by the previous replies:

4. Read this tutorial to install the bios using your computer, lpt port, programmer, and the matrix.  Make sure the flashing program fully installs the bios.  

4. Read the instruction manual for the Matrix in order to install the bios using your computer, lpt (printer) port, programmer, and the matrix. Make sure the flashing program fully installs the bios. The instruction manual is available at http://www.xodus-chip.com

#6 Tyrant

Tyrant

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 10:34 PM

i got lucky and didnt really have any problems.....but when i tried splitting a 1meg bios and then flashing it, it would stop about every 8th write to the chip, so i recut it like the tutorial said

3. Then go to Edit -> Go To type in 262144 select dec and from end of file
4. Then click edit, select block 262144, dec and Size of Block
5. Then Edit -> Copy
6. Then File -> New
7. Then Edit -> Paste
8. and last save image as a bin file

#7 slappynutz

slappynutz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 06:22 PM

Just a small point that doesn't seem to be posted for newbies ... it's best to use a hair dryer to help remove the stickers and pads from the back of the XBox. If you're careful enough, you can actually put the stickers back down and make it seem as though it had never been violated.

#8 kard63

kard63

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 07:14 PM

I can't find #1 or #2 on your list for Download. I have Xodus, and I have moded two other systems, but I am having a few more problems than I anticipated. First of all there are too many things named Evo X, lol. Where can I get bios that will letm e set up FTP and backup my own games? Is it only the dashboard that goes on the CD-RW ?

Thanks
Kard63

#9 Tyrant

Tyrant

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 09:23 PM

one cannot be told where to find the bios and iso to download, no way in hell am i gonna be chased by micro$oft!

you gotta find it yourself, you should have known this part when buying the chip, im just trying to help the other parts

#10 Zealot

Zealot

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 October 2002 - 04:05 AM

I flashed my modchip with an evox 2.5 color bios. I installed the chip, and it looked like it was properly aligned (flashing green). I flipped the second dip switch to activate it, and when I powered up it stayed green. The only thing is, I didn't get a colored logo, so I didn't think it was in tight enough.

I tried re-aligning the chip, and tightening it, but now I think I've stripped the hole. sad.gif Now I can't get it tight enough for the green light to stay on.

Is there another (safe) way I can hold the matrix chip in place?

Any help would be much appreciated!

#11 Tyrant

Tyrant

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 October 2002 - 05:55 AM

stripped it? try a smaller thread but longer screw, i couldnt use the screw that came with the xbox

when trying to align the matrix, set it to test mode, turn on the xbox and try pushing down on different parts of the matrix to see if it turns red, make sure that you get it to the point that it stays blinking green

if you dont get a blue screen then you might not have a color bios, so get the dummied evox iso and write it to a cd-rw, thats the only other way that you know that the bios works

#12 kyl3

kyl3

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 12:25 AM

I stripped the same screw that you did, what i did was take a computer case screw and "slightly tighten" the screw back in until it alligned it properly. Well since i am a perfectionist i went back to costco and returned it for a new one any ways tongue.gif

#13 tigershark

tigershark

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 02:27 PM

where can i find win-hex ? i can't find it on the know link. it only show a other hex tool. beerchug.gif

#14 kyl3

kyl3

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 10:59 PM

http://www.sf-soft.d...ex/index-m.html

#15 cykiller

cykiller

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 03:59 PM

to all the newbiees looking for evox here's a direct link for it!! thank gotmod.com for having the balls to actually have this on there site!!

ftp://ftp.gotmod.com/FlashingUtilities/Xo...ixFlashPack.rar

muhaha.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users