Xb0XmAn

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 August 2003 - 11:45 PM

I am modding for a while now did about 3 xbox-es..
Cant help wondering some things maybe someone could help me clear this out.

1. If u tape isolation tape directly on the mobo could it short traces or solder points?
In other words: can there go electric through the glue of the tape (sorry for bad english)
2. Is staticness really something to be concerned about? I never use anti static tools (like that wrist thing u have to connect to a big iron thing) and I did a lot of work on PC's mostly never took precautions and also never problems.

I sometimes touch my heating tubes from the radiator to loose any staticness but there aluminium so dunno if that helps.

#2 Nimrod3

Nimrod3

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 24 August 2003 - 04:38 AM

Isolation tape is just that -- isolation. If an isolation tape causes a short...um.....i would like...not call it "isolation" tape.

I wouldn't be TOO concerned about static, as in my 10+ years of working with PC parts, PS1, dreamcast, and now xbox, etc, i have never lost a component. Most parts nowadays arent THAT sensitive. I wouldn't run across a carpet in my socks and then grab a board ofcourse, but normal static levels are OK, i wouldnt worry about grounding myself. If you're in an electronics lab with low level chips, thats another story ofcourse.

#3 rzyzzy

rzyzzy

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 24 August 2003 - 07:05 PM

thought I'd put in my 2 cents here... I've never lost a component due to static, however I was able to use static to my advantage in the past...

My little bro had a hard drive with 14 megs of bad sectors, the hd company said this was "normal"... broke out my violet ray ( look at my nic picture) and zapped the *snot* out of it... put it back into the pc... it shut off... rebooted, the bios came up "HD not detected"...

Long story short, rma'd the hd, got a letter back from the hd company" since we were unable to test your old hard disc, we sent you a new one"... wink.gif

static can be *good*!

Edited by rzyzzy, 24 August 2003 - 07:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users