37 replies to this topic

#1 kray4737

kray4737

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 09:51 PM

Ok i know some people are having trouble getting their new hard drive to work and it really sucks. I had this same problem. Evrytime I would try to boot up to a evox cdrw i made for formatting drives i would always get an error or a or the screen half cut with the error in the corner. Here are some of the steps I took 2 get my hdd 2 work.

1. If u cant get ur hdd 2 work and have an xecuter 4977 bios maybe thats ur problem. After I changed to the evox d6 bios evrything worked out perfectly. Read this guide on how to reflash ur chip: http://forums.xbox-s...ST&f=38&t=60720

2. After ur done flashing ur chip to the d6 bios then go into ur evox menu and click on the thing that says system utils. Click on backup and this will make a backup of important stuff about ur xbox and will be located in a folder called backup in the C directory.

3. follow this guide on how to make an evox disc for formatting drives and other stuff: http://xbox-scene.co...dd-install2.php
you can skip step number 2 if u want since we already did that.

This is exactly what I did and it worked for me. The xecuter 4977 bios was what was causing the prob for me.

Oh yeah if u want after u have the drive installed and evox on the hdd u can reflash ur chip back to the 4977.

good luck

p.s. i have a western digital 120 g. got it for 60bucks brand new at circuit city. they had two 30 dollar rebates biggrin.gif

**WITH THE NEWER BIOS U PROBABLY WONT NEED TO REFLASH YOUR CHIP THIS IS FOR PEOPLE STILL USING THE OLD BIOS**

Edited by kray4737, 16 March 2004 - 07:47 PM.

#2 kray4737

kray4737

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 09:59 PM

bump

#3 deghost

deghost

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 08:37 AM

Another option is leave your original HDD in and power with your boot disk. Unplug your old HDD and plug in your new one then proceed with formatting it and installing what ever you want on it.

I had to do this today.

#4 [SDK]Devilman

[SDK]Devilman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 09:30 AM

Only difference between the x2-4977 and the D6 bios is the fact the D6 ignores the clock.

Sounds to me like what you actually had was clock issues, rather than issues with the x2_4977 bios itself, boot up the Xbox with new HDD in but Xbox has been unpowered long enough to reset the clock, so it ignores the DVD check and tries to load the dash straight away to set the clock (which of course, the dash isnt there, hence the error)

Best thing to do (provided you still have a working origional drive) is boot the Xbox from the origional drive first, make sure the clock is set (even set it again if you have to) then power down the Xbox and swap the drives over.

That should then allow the 4977 Bios to boot from the DVD drive and install the new HDD.

Of course, that will only work if you have a working origional HDD, if you dont, then what you say is fine.

#5 kray4737

kray4737

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 12:16 AM

cool, any more suggestions

#6 trevlenOO6

trevlenOO6

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE ([SDK]Devilman @ Aug 26 2003, 04:30 AM)
Only difference between the x2-4977 and the D6 bios is the fact the D6 ignores the clock.

not exactly true with D6 you have to manually patch some games that you dont with 4977

#7 [SDK]Devilman

[SDK]Devilman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE (trevlenOO6 @ Aug 27 2003, 02:20 AM)
QUOTE ([SDK]Devilman @ Aug 26 2003, 04:30 AM)

not exactly true with D6 you have to manually patch some games that you dont with 4977

Yah that is true. I worded it badly.

what I should have said was...

The only difference between the D6 and the X2_4977 regarding boot from DVD to install evox etc... is that D6 bypasses the clock.

Obviously the 2 bios's have differences, but with regards to using them to install a new HDD, the only difference that matters is that D6 bypasses the clock and X2_4977 doesnt.

For sure, I only use X2_4977 for the day to day "running" of the Xbox.

#8 kray4737

kray4737

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 09:38 PM

How much time does it ake for the clock to reset when u unplug the xbox

#9 billyg

billyg

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE (deghost @ Aug 26 2003, 10:37 AM)
Another option is leave your original HDD in and power with your boot disk. Unplug your old HDD and plug in your new one then proceed with formatting it and installing what ever you want on it.

i just did this and it worked like a charm!!! no reflashing for me... i just moved the IDE over to the new HDD once the boot disk booted and selected "Format New Hard Drive"...

thanks!

#10 BrianM

BrianM

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 01:56 AM

Damn, this play just keeps paying for itself.. er, wait - it's free, nevermind. biggrin.gif I just installed me first HDD and this post solved the one problem. I didn't have the clock set and was getting the 1/2 screen w/ error code. Dropped the original HDD back in, set the clock, swapped to the new HDD (while off, I don't like hot-swapping anything not expressly designed for it) and away she went.

Time to figgure out all the stuff I can do now. biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

#11 kray4737

kray4737

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 12:18 AM

bump

#12 Free-ranger

Free-ranger

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 04:41 AM

i have the same problem with the half screen coming up, but unfortunetly i have killed my original xbox hd, can someone tell me is it possible to hook my new drive up to my friends xbox and format the new drive that way and then put it back into my xbox?

Or is my xbox just a nice big heavy black paper weight now??

#13 dslam

dslam

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 05:01 AM

BUMP! I had this problem, fixed it just this evening by reflashing to Evox d6 with a db25 cable, as I have an X2 PRO.

#14 [SDK]Devilman

[SDK]Devilman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (kray4737 @ Aug 27 2003, 11:38 PM)
How much time does it ake for the clock to reset when u unplug the xbox

Usually about 4 - 5 hours unplugged and the clock resets.

i have the same problem with the half screen coming up, but unfortunetly i have killed my original xbox hd, can someone tell me is it possible to hook my new drive up to my friends xbox and format the new drive that way and then put it back into my xbox?

Or is my xbox just a nice big heavy black paper weight now??

That depends, if your friends xbox is modded so it will boot with an unlocked HDD, the best option is to connect your new HDD to your friends Xbox, use Slayers auto-installer to rebuild the drive, then put the drive back in your xbox.

as long as you dont lock the drive on his system you should be fine (asuming your xbox is also chipped, so it will boot with an unlocked HDD)

#15 Free-ranger

Free-ranger

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 07:30 AM

yes, both boxes have been chipped, my old drive is useless from what i figure anyway, it wont boot, wont even power up.

Can you point me into the right direction for the slayers auto installer?

I made a boot disk using the new hd installer for evox, is this what your talking about?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users