2 replies to this topic

#1 tutu

tutu

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 08:33 PM

Today I switched to MXM as my primary dash. I think there were a number of problems that I encountered and it was really to do with too much/too little information provided with MXM.

Hopefully these improvements could make it in the next release and should see MXM adopted by more users.

At first I was overwhelmed with the amount of files included with the release on "the usual places".

I wasn't sure where to start.

Hopefully I can provide some suggestions but it's upto the developers if they take them on board.. I won't mind smile.gif

In the main directory structure there should be a single .nfo or txt file describing what the release is and basic installation instructions.

Perhaps also a History/Changelog.nfo or txt instead of all those nfo's in the directory.

There should be a release directory or similiar with the default.xbe and a simple xml file setup similiar to EvoX - e.g. auto-adding apps, emus and games.

There should probably be a Skins subfolder as well, so people will understand where to put them.

The next problem is where do I start with the XML file?

Maybe a utilities directory or similiar with Myxomatosis supplied. It should come with the tutorial that is on that website mentioned in "where to get files" thread.

I think the lite version is "too" lite.

Then there should be a documentation folder containing all those extra stuff (XML tags, Skinning etc), preferably in HTML format.

As for MXM itself:

Lastly I was confused at the lack of a "Launch DVD" option similiar to EvoX. I do not wan't to auto-launch DVDs but there is no way to actually get to them if I decide to!

Thanks for reading. Keep up the good work beerchug.gif

Edited by tutu, 26 August 2003 - 09:37 PM.

#2 DrunkPenguin

DrunkPenguin

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 09:26 PM

I agree with your 100%! I also just got it working last night. The information if very little and very scattered accrost the net. Now granted, what we are doing is complex, and we should spend time learning and reading everything, but every manual out there seems to over look 1 tiny thing, where do I start???

all i needed was... What file goes where?? Once the basic menu sytsem works I can start to examine it and learn it, but when yoiu dont even know what goes where its a little frustrating.

I have also noticed most of the older members of this forum seem to be annoyed when newB's ask general questions like that. They expect us to know, because they know and they only wanna talk about more complex issues. I think they have forgotten how they might have felt in the beginning.

It seems like this technology has been around long enough now that there should be better information out there.

#3 one918

one918

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 August 2003 - 05:20 AM

A good place to start can be found Here

Very easy to follow. As always do a search for what you want to find, and you should be able to find it. I'm not the best at configuring .xml and .ini files, but with a little patience and searching, you won't have a problem.

I have found that in the MXM forums, there seem to be a lot more people willing to help and aren't so quick to flame. If all else fails, ask the question if you have a least taken the time to search, and you will most likely get an answer. beerchug.gif

Edited by one918, 27 August 2003 - 05:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users