7 replies to this topic

#1 steinola

steinola

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 01:14 AM

I have an XBox, so I haven't been paying much attention to the PS2 world of mods... but I happened to run across an ad for a (relatively new) PS2 modchip that simply plugs into the USB joypad port.

Any chance the same might be possible for the XBox in the (hopefully not-too-distant) future? Any XBox architecture restrictions that would prevent this? Sure seems like a slick solution. Pull it out when you don't need it, put it in when you do. Heck... it wouldn't even void the warranty.

Anybody know?

Thanks!
-S

#2 bagel5009

bagel5009

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Interests:BANNED
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 25 October 2002 - 01:19 AM

post the link for it pls!

#3 M00D33

M00D33

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 01:31 AM

Is this the stuff that you are looking at ?

http://www.easybuy20...II/neokey.shtml

#4 M00D33

M00D33

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 01:32 AM

actually .. if I read it more carefully, it still need 1 wire installation. Don't know how to do that though ...

#5 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE (steinola @ Oct 25 2002, 12:14 AM)

Any chance the same might be possible for the XBox in the (hopefully not-too-distant) future? Any XBox architecture restrictions that would prevent this? Sure seems like a slick solution. Pull it out when you don't need it, put it in when you do. Heck... it wouldn't even void the warranty.

Anybody know?

Thanks!
-S

Nope forget it.

Not possible.

#6 steinola

steinola

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 05:22 PM

The one I found at first was this one:
http://www.modchipst...ps2/usbmod.html

I'm sure the neokey is similar. But, you're right, I hadn't caught the "1 wire installation" thing before. So I guess it's more of just an X-ecutor-like modchip that sits external to the box rather than internal (??). Not sure what the point is of that... unless it hacks the joypad port for stuff too.

OPJOSE - just curious... what makes it possible for PS2 and "not possible" for XBox? Or were you commenting on just the purely USB-based modchip?

Sounds like the Xbox Linux crew is working on finding ways to boot unsigned code without a mod (at least, they mention it in their "to do" list... which I would assume they wouldn't if they didn't already have an idea of how to do it). Anyone know some of the ways they might be trying?

Peace.
-S

#7 steinola

steinola

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 05:32 PM

Ahhh

http://www.easybuy20...II/neokey.shtml

is just a newer model/case for
http://www.modchipst...ps2/usbmod.html

so there you go.

Both pages have links to the installation manual. The "one wire installation" is soldering a jumper between two points. The wire isn't actually physically connected to the neokey... so the "dongle" is still fully removable. Not sure what the GameShark or DVD-Region-X requirement is all about, though.

#8 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (steinola @ Oct 25 2002, 04:22 PM)

OPJOSE - just curious... what makes it possible for PS2 and "not possible" for XBox? Or were you commenting on just the purely USB-based modchip?

Dunno about the PS/2, but the Xbox uses nothing from the USB bus that can "take over" the BIOS and security functions.

MS knew all about the USB hacks for the PS/2, so the bios and the hardware are tightly tied together to prevent just this type of thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users