• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 sanone

sanone

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 12:24 PM

I was wondering if the source of the XLink client will be made open source so people (like me) can port this great piece of software to other platforms. It would be nice if you can run a deamon on your server so you haven't got to start up windows every time you want to play online...

#2 jhurliman

jhurliman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 07:33 PM

user posted image

It's coming... The core devs appear to be really busy right now though, and I'm going to be busy during the weekdays, but I hope things will start moving quickly.

#3 sanone

sanone

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 06:21 AM

good news.. but I was refering to a console client.
That would make things easier because my server doesn't run X11

The frontend doesn't have to be availible for the commandline version because we can enter rooms/set status from the xbox client. Just a simple tunneling deamon would do.. If you need some help porting it to FreeBSD I'd be glad to help out.

#4 jhurliman

jhurliman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 08:17 PM

I have a lot of stuff planned, but I'll most likely setup a sourceforge page at some point and delegate work because I'm not a one man army. The console tunneling daemon is one of them, and as it relies on libpcap it will need testing under different platforms. I haven't even installed Bo-XLink (or whatever it's called now) yet though, so it's not at the top of my list right now.

DEVELOPERS: I need either detailed docs of the protocol, or (preferably) some source code sent my way if this thing is going to happen any time soon. I haven't played in Visual Basic for a while, but I'll get it installed and send a couple bugfixes back your way.

#5 T u r b o

T u r b o

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 10:14 PM

I'd really like to get this moving. Since it's simply using libpcap, an almost universal back-end could be created for linux/freebsd/mac OSX. This back end could communicate with an X11/curses/cocoa/whatever client for the UI (though, since there's the xbox client itself the UI would be a pretty low priority methinks).

Does anybody have some code or protocol documentation? This sounds like just a couple hours of coding work w/ a protocol spec to go from, and I'd like to get it going if possible.

I'm also interested in getting a "micro" version going for linux, so you could even run the daemon on the TiVo in your living room or similar, which would help out with at least one friend of mine who has a tivo+xbox in one room wirelessly connected to the rest of his house.

- Turbo

#6 jhurliman

jhurliman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (T u r b o @ Sep 4 2003, 12:14 AM)
I'd really like to get this moving. Since it's simply using libpcap, an almost universal back-end could be created for linux/freebsd/mac OSX. This back end could communicate with an X11/curses/cocoa/whatever client for the UI (though, since there's the xbox client itself the UI would be a pretty low priority methinks).

Does anybody have some code or protocol documentation? This sounds like just a couple hours of coding work w/ a protocol spec to go from, and I'd like to get it going if possible.

I'm also interested in getting a "micro" version going for linux, so you could even run the daemon on the TiVo in your living room or similar, which would help out with at least one friend of mine who has a tivo+xbox in one room wirelessly connected to the rest of his house.

- Turbo

In my roadmap I've designated two distinct projects. One is xlink, a reimplementation of xlink.exe, which will have all the functionality of the Windows client (plus a bit more of course wink.gif), then there's xlinkd, a server with no interface whatsoever, that interacts with Bo-XLink only. I've posted a thread called "Devs: Technical Questions" which we should use for protocol discussion, I posted the login sequence for the messenger client already. There's no official documentation on the tunneling aspect which is the real purpose of the app, but it would be much appreciated if someone could post it. I've got the code for xlink layed out how I want it finally, and while it doesn't do much at this point I'm going to start using CVS or nightly tarballs to get the information out there and people moving.

#7 Lebowski

Lebowski

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:X-Box

Posted 04 September 2003 - 08:24 AM

xlinkd sounds good, also run a linux gateway with no X windows.

Quick q, would it be possible to be have some of server running on a high bandwidth connection (100mbit) that has no xbox connected to it but could serve the data to a lot of dsl users?

#8 jhurliman

jhurliman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (Lebowski @ Sep 4 2003, 10:24 AM)
xlinkd sounds good, also run a linux gateway with no X windows.

Quick q, would it be possible to be have some of server running on a high bandwidth connection (100mbit) that has no xbox connected to it but could serve the data to a lot of dsl users?

Serve what data? If there's no XBox connected to it, I'm not sure I understand what you would do...

#9 flat235

flat235

XLink Crew Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Heh.. XLink
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 September 2003 - 11:28 PM

I like this project - Ill do whatever i can to help you... the xlinkd idea is excellent

Couple of requests thou - before u start - your xlinkd.... i think this could also be ported easily into an NT service when complete - that would be very nice...

Also, we get a lot of requests from OSX people - ive never used it - but its similar to linux i believe - are any of the linux GUI contruction tools able to create code which runs on OSX?

TD

ps. im constantly updating the server - and the next bo-xlink will have different comms messages - its all a bit messy at the moment... but the changes will be easy for you to make - even if u start implementing what we have now..

Edited by flat235, 04 September 2003 - 11:29 PM.

#10 jhurliman

jhurliman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 08:59 AM

My machines run Linux, but I don't code for a specific platform. First and foremost priority is seeing that every project I create compiles on ALL platforms that I'm aware of. As the code stands right now, it will compile and run exactly the same on Linux / BSD / OSX / Win32, and my goal is to not change this. If anyone wants to confirm or deny, checkout the CVS and tell me how it works:

http://sf.net/projects/xboxlink/

I didn't want to create a new project name and add even MORE confusion, with XLink Messenger, Bo-XLink, and all the X-names floating around already. Hope this doesn't cause confusion between the GPL XLink and the official project. I just needed the CVS server so other developers and some of my friends can see what I'm up to and submit patches.

EDIT: You're going to need QT 3.2.1 (very latest version) to compile this, as the new designer files seem to not compile with the older uic versions. When the project is ready for a release I'll have OSX and Win32 guys compile binaries and pre-generate all the source files for Linux/BSD guys. That's probably a little ways down the road though, XLink is an awesome project and will be a worthy task to recreate.

Edited by jhurliman, 05 September 2003 - 09:02 AM.

#11 sanone

sanone

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (jhurliman @ Sep 5 2003, 10:59 AM)
My machines run Linux, but I don't code for a specific platform. First and foremost priority is seeing that every project I create compiles on ALL platforms that I'm aware of. As the code stands right now, it will compile and run exactly the same on Linux / BSD / OSX / Win32, and my goal is to not change this. If anyone wants to confirm or deny, checkout the CVS and tell me how it works:

http://sf.net/projects/xboxlink/

I checked you projectpage but didn't see anything on the CVS Repository not could I browse CVS.

• CVS Repository ( 0 commits, 0 adds )

You said the the code you have so far can be compiled and run on any platform.. how do you do this with the sockets, as far as I know BSD has another socket implementation as linux.

Anyway good to see some people already started this deamon/service. When I found some I'll check the source out (when it's online) and try to compile/run it on BSD.

#12 T u r b o

T u r b o

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (flat235 @ Sep 5 2003, 01:28 AM)
I like this project - Ill do whatever i can to help you... the xlinkd idea is excellent

Couple of requests thou - before u start - your xlinkd.... i think this could also be ported easily into an NT service when complete - that would be very nice...

Also, we get a lot of requests from OSX people - ive never used it - but its similar to linux i believe - are any of the linux GUI contruction tools able to create code which runs on OSX?

TD

ps. im constantly updating the server - and the next bo-xlink will have different comms messages - its all a bit messy at the moment... but the changes will be easy for you to make - even if u start implementing what we have now..

No, but it is a simple task to create a Cocoa front-end in Project Builder to build a native OSX gui for whatever daemon/back-end is available.

Where can we find the "what we have now", though? smile.gif

- Mike

#13 jhurliman

jhurliman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 06:11 AM

CVS was already committed, there's a 24 hour lag for the initial CVS update. It's up for :pserver: access now @ http://cvs.sourcefor...xboxlink/xlink/

QSocket controls compile just fine on OSX. And designer 3.2.1 is really the best GUI designer I've found hands down, regardless of the fact it has libraries on all major platforms. The only trick is going to be getting libpcap and wincap in one project. *Hint look at Ethereal*

I'm looking forward to the 2.6 server protocol, maybe that would be a good starting point for collaboration?

Edited by jhurliman, 08 September 2003 - 02:45 AM.

#14 dfunked

dfunked

XLink Crew Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 September 2003 - 07:45 AM

just on the note of XLINK development, I came across developing applications for MSN 6..

http://games.mess.be/

I've already told TD that my leaked MSN6.1 BETA has 'Start XLink Messenger' in the actions section and I have no idea how biggrin.gif It'd be awesome to somehow get XLINK integrated, if only to have it automatically load when an invitation is sent from MSN smile.gif

#15 jhurliman

jhurliman

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 02:52 AM

QUOTE (sanone @ Sep 1 2003, 02:24 PM)
I was wondering if the source of the XLink client will be made open source so people (like me) can port this great piece of software to other platforms. It would be nice if you can run a deamon on your server so you haven't got to start up windows every time you want to play online...

The developers seemed to be dancing around the issue of making the source code available to porting developers, but the final answer it seems is no. The source code will not be released, but all the information needed to write a replacement is out there so the source code would be of little assistance at this point.

If you are a GPL-friendly developer and ready to prove that OSS coders do it better, do a CVS checkout and get involved. http://www.sourcefor...jects/xboxlink/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users