#1 oz_paulb

oz_paulb

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 12:19 AM

All -

Check the main xbox-scene news page for info on the latest version of Xbtool. It supports LBA48 and partition tables.
I thought I'd create a new topic here for feedback (hopefully all success stories), and questions.

REMEMBER: This is 'beta' code - use at your own risk!

Update: Don't choose "Partition 6 Takes Rest of the Drive" if you plan on using an existing drive (with data already on F:) that's > 137GB! This will increase the size of the partition assigned to F:, but since it was formatted while it was in a smaller partition, the FAT structures will not be correct. This will result in data corruption! Only choose this option if you intend to re-format the entire F: partition (or if you're starting with a new drive).

Thanks to NghtShd for his help in incorporating the changes into Xbtool.

Full source code/more info will be released in the next couple of days.

- Paulb

Edited by oz_paulb, 02 September 2003 - 02:14 AM.

#2 oz_paulb

oz_paulb

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 12:20 AM

Oh, and for those who haven't been following the other thread, "LBA48 support" means support for hard drives larger than 137GB.

- Paulb

#3 PM5K

PM5K

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 02 September 2003 - 12:29 AM

Congrats, hopefully everything goes well for everyone. Personally I have a 120 and I don't think that I'll be upgrading to anything bigger any time soon. My real concern at this point is not the drive size but the fragmentation, maybe you can look into that, I can only imagine how much worse fragmentation would be on even bigger drives, uploads would slow to a crawl.

#4 Gman22

Gman22

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 September 2003 - 12:32 AM

nicely done...thanks for all your work to the scene...i have a modchip coming soon, and ill be getting a bigger hard drive to back up the games i own...now i can get larger than 137 thanks alot paul

#5 bborski

bborski

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 02 September 2003 - 12:45 AM

just checkin it out, i dont have a new hard drive to test it yet but soon. just a quick question, what does "Ignore Hard Drive Partition Table" mean? i didnt see any thing about it in the documentation

#6 oz_paulb

oz_paulb

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE (bborski @ Sep 2 2003, 02:45 AM)
just checkin it out, i dont have a new hard drive to test it yet but soon. just a quick question, what does "Ignore Hard Drive Partition Table" mean? i didnt see any thing about it in the documentation

It's possible to put a partition table on the first sector of the hard drive (I'll document how to do this later).

(the partition table defines the start and size of each of the partitions on the hard drive (example: partition6 is "F:")).

All of the options in Xbtool are for the 'default' partition table that's created at boot-up time. If a partition table is seen on the boot sector of the hard drive, then that one will override the 'default' one.

Normally, this is what you want - it'll allow for 'partition table editors' to be created that'll let you move/resize partitions, etc.

But, if for some reason you screw-up your hard drive's partition table, you can always go back to the 'default' by using Xbtool and selecting 'Ignore hard drive partition table' (and re-burning your flash chip with the new code). This is more of a safeguard than anything else - just in case the hard drive gets messed up.

- Paulb

Edited by oz_paulb, 02 September 2003 - 12:49 AM.

#7 boxorox

boxorox

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 02 September 2003 - 01:12 AM

Thanks for all your work Paul. I have a 160gb, but I think I'm gonna wait it out a little. It's not quite full yet and I really don't want to start over. However, it is very comforting to know you gave me back 23gb. biggrin.gif

#8 oz_paulb

oz_paulb

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 01:18 AM

QUOTE (boxorox @ Sep 2 2003, 03:12 AM)
Thanks for all your work Paul. I have a 160gb, but I think I'm gonna wait it out a little. It's not quite full yet and I really don't want to start over. However, it is very comforting to know you gave me back 23gb. biggrin.gif

Once other apps allow for things to be stored on other partitions (instead of hard-coded "F:" support), you should be able to create a new partition that's just the 23GB after 137GB (assigned to some other drive letter). Then you can store some of your stuff there (without losing your F: drive contents).

- Paulb

#9 Biznaz

Biznaz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 01:20 AM

from what i've read, can't you just allocate the rest of your 160gb to partition7, leaving partition6(F:) untouched? I was planning on doing this. beerchug.gif to you paul.

Edited by Biznaz, 02 September 2003 - 01:21 AM.

#10 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 02 September 2003 - 01:40 AM

As i posted in the other thread, ive ordered a 250 and i'll get it in a few days. Cant believe this was "impossible" to most all this time , and now its reality. Glad to test this.

#11 oz_paulb

oz_paulb

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (Biznaz @ Sep 2 2003, 03:20 AM)
from what i've read, can't you just allocate the rest of your 160gb to partition7, leaving partition6(F:) untouched? I was planning on doing this. beerchug.gif to you paul.

Yes, the 'key' at this point will be: how do you format the 'extra' partition, and how do you get apps/files/etc onto it? That'll (hopefully) come as existing apps/dashboards start supporting the idea of more partitions.

I'll be releasing some partitioning utilities in the next couple of days (lets you create/edit a partition table on your hard drive). What I've already done (by hand - without these utils) is:

- Write a partition table on the boot sector that describes the current F: (partition6) partition, as well as the new partition7 (that's above 137GB)

- "swapped" the 6/7th partition table entries. Now, F: points to the partition above 137GB (and 'partition7' points to your old F: drive)

- Booted Slayer's EvoX installer, and formatted F: (partition6, which is still pointing to above 137GB)

At this point, I can boot-up, and F: points to an empty partition (above 137GB). I can use it normally, but I don't have access to my 'old' F: partition (although the data is still there, and intact). If I "swap" the 6/7th partition table entries again, and reboot, I can see my old F: drive, but can't see the new one above 137GB.

Again, once apps/dashboards support more partitions, this'll all be much easier.

If you want 100% support for LBA48 right now, it'll require dedicating the entire remainder of the drive to F: (since everything knows about partition6/F: right now).

Once again, just remember that this code is 'beta', so please don't experiment with drives containing data you can't risk losing.

- Paulb

#12 bborski

bborski

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 01:49 AM

so when i get a new drive id like it to be just like the one i have now, put the rest of the space in F.

so i have to flash the new bios and then format the new drive?

i dont plan on playing with the partition sizes at all (too much for my head) so when i edit my bios before i flash do i want to check the "Ignore Hard Drive Partion Table" option or not?

im really sorry for all the questions its just that this stuff is so far over my head

#13 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Quantum Loop Theory

Posted 02 September 2003 - 01:54 AM

This should be PINNED and kept updated with progress made....

#14 oz_paulb

oz_paulb

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE (bborski @ Sep 2 2003, 03:49 AM)
so when i get a new drive id like it to be just like the one i have now, put the rest of the space in F.

so i have to flash the new bios and then format the new drive?

i dont plan on playing with the partition sizes at all (too much for my head) so when i edit my bios before i flash do i want to check the "Ignore Hard Drive Partion Table" option or not?

im really sorry for all the questions its just that this stuff is so far over my head

I wouldn't check the 'ignore hard drive partition table' option unless you have problems (with a corrupted hard drive boot sector). If you check it, you'll never be able to re-partition your hard drive. You may not want to now, but there may be a reason to in the future. It's probably best to leave your options open.

So, using Xbtool, choose "Partition 6 Takes Rest of the Drive", save your new bios, and put it onto your modchip. Now, you should be able to re-boot the Xbox (with Slayer EvoX installer CD in the drive, for example (or whatever utility you'd normally use)), and it'll see the entire hard drive, ready to format.

- Paulb

#15 KiLaHuRtZ

KiLaHuRtZ

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 02:03 AM

one quick question. i have a 160GB in my box right now and i want to "unlock" the extra 23GB with your code, however if i just patch the BIOS will i have to re-format my entire drive or will it just boot up normally with the extra 23GB showing up in the F drive. once again i want to add that 23GB to my F partition but i don't want to lose my data either.
thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users