figgy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 12:29 AM

ok, first of - im following this guide;

http://www.xbox-scen...eak-philips.php
I have searched the forum already, and couldn't find any threads that answered my question. My question is this; what are the two connections that need to be measured?!

In this pic, is it the ones with red arrows??
user posted image

Can someone please point out to me which points need to be tested, imo the guide doesn't address that element clearly enough.

Cheers

Figgy

#2 pwcracker2002

pwcracker2002

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 September 2003 - 12:39 AM

i had the exact same problem. i asked and nobody ever replied :

#3 DeTr0iT

DeTr0iT

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 01:41 AM

ask in here.. maybe you will get a responce faster..

Xbox-Scene Online Web Community->Hardware Forums->General Hardware/Technical Chat

#4 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 September 2003 - 01:55 AM

Moved smile.gif

#5 GamezMan

GamezMan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 06:06 PM

Hey figgy, be very carefull if u try this mod.
I messed up my phillips trying this mod. and i only turned the screw a tiny bit,
and it NEVER WORKED AGIAN.

And im NO NUBIE

#6 xcept

xcept

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 01:11 PM

He there, i wrote the tutorial with a friend of mine.

I don't know where you got the picture but it's not ok....

The red arrow on the right side is ok, the red arrow on the left is way out of line, the yellow arrow is pointing the right point to meassure!!! so please meassure between those points.

put 1 of your multimeter wires (don't know the name for it sorry!!) in the center of the pot, when you look at the pot from above you will see 2 point where it is soldered to the drive, one of them gives you a value of ohms, this differs sometimes it 350 ohms and another time it's 650 ohms. The value to get it working is between 490 and 510. try to get it as close as you can to 500 ohms. I did about 7 pot tweaks now, they all worked great and the one and only thing about it is USE A MULTIMETER WITHOUT IT YOU WILL F**K UP YOUR DRIVE!!!!!! keep me posted on your progress!!

Xcept

Edited by xcept, 05 September 2003 - 01:12 PM.

#7 alien_x

alien_x

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 03:28 PM

I want to adjust my pot , and my dvd is dead now (cd-rw still can read) , my current resistance is 700 ohms and can't setup it lower, can I adjust second pot, can it help.
Some one can fix it ?
sorry for my english,

#8 PumaX

PumaX

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 08:25 AM

I measured it from the two soldered legs of the pot which are placed on the bottom side of it. So i had to remove circuit board for every tweak!

#9 xprun79323

xprun79323

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (xcept @ Sep 5 2003, 03:11 PM)
...the yellow arrow is pointing the right point to meassure!!! so please meassure between those points.

...when you look at the pot from above you will see 2 point where it is soldered to the drive, ...

Point 2
I am confused on where point 2 is.
When you say "pot from above", do you mean looking down over the drive or looking at the back of the drive (this would be looking down on the pot)?

Is it possible for someone to get a better quality picture with accuarat arrows that show the exact location of Point 2?
Thank you

#10 krobby

krobby

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 09:25 PM

1. Many agree that pot tweaking is not work the potential payoff (which isn't much) when you can stuff your drive pretty easily by doing it.

2. If you don't know what a potentiometer is, does, or how it's layed out maybe you shouldn't be trying to mess with it.

#11 thecheekymonkey

thecheekymonkey

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 October 2003 - 10:08 PM

i used this tutorial, good tutorial, could do with more clear piccys though, but the thing i wanna say is , i managed to get the crap phillips drive to read a couple more media, but the end result was still the same, the drive ended up being knackered!!!, try this at your peri..........you have been warned, get rid of the phillips and buy a samsung, that is the best way.l

#12 sez

sez

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 10:18 AM

Hi $all,

As "krobby" already says, do not mess with a dvd drive if you do not know how to measure the resistance of a pot meter. That is also mentioned in the turtorial I wrote with "xcept" for tweaking the pot for phillips drives.

The 500 Ohms worked out very well for 7 phillips dvd drives I have tweaked so far.

Like in the tutorial:
A Pot meter is a variable resistor and thus measure between the wiper (screw)
and the second resistor (second point seen from the cable connector).

Thus:

* * <- this one and the screw.....

If you do not understand this or cannot measure it properly by now then please do not even continue and live with it...

Cheers.

Edited by sez, 06 October 2003 - 10:26 AM.

#13 Fant0m

Fant0m

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 05:44 AM

I have to say, great tutorial! I will admit that i was pretty nervous doing the tweak, but i figured it was worth a try, as i have a lot of movies on CD and if it buggered up, then i could get a samsung as everyone keeps suggesting.

I tweaked my drive to a value of about 505ohm. It still reads DVD's and CD-RW's and it now reads almost all CD-R's. I still can't get it to work with TDK silver 80mins. Has anyone who's done this tweak had any problems with this media??

Like others have said, this tweak is almost impossible without a multi-meter. The Pot is too sensitive to use a simple quater-turn.

#14 Fant0m

Fant0m

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 10:17 AM

Just for interests sake, i just tried tweaking my drive a bit more to see if i could get it to read the tdk cd's. I have tried the following values (all in ohms):

763 <- Original factory setting
503 <- According to the guide
470 <- Current value (Couldn't be buggered fiddling with the stupid pot to get it back to 500).

My pot2 value stayed at 1037ohm

Unfortuneately even the lowest setting of 361 would not let me read the tdk media. The drive still works fine for all other media. Phew!

Unless someone else has had success with these, and they've done something different to me, i think i'll just call it a day. ;)

#15 jaywalker_z

jaywalker_z

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 11:02 PM

is someone had confirm yet what was the use of the pot #2 ?? is it like the PS2...one for CD's and one for DVD's ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users