#1 socrates

socrates

X-S Knowledgebase

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 05 September 2003 - 04:57 AM

Has anyone gotten there gdrom unit to read a cdrw by adjusting the screw on the unti itself? i tried but all that happen was it stopped reading all disc's till i returned the screw back to its original position.

#2 LepPpeR

LepPpeR

Author of Craxtion

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 September 2003 - 05:03 AM

I think that dreamcast did not read CD-RW's or atleast I never had any luck with them. I suggest just throwing them the good ol' CDR's

#3 socrates

socrates

X-S Knowledgebase

• XS-BANNED
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 12:28 PM

Ya i was thinking theres no need to take the chance of fucking it up so i might just do that, thanks for the help smile.gif
Hey, any idea where i can get the web browser that comes with the dreamcast? not asking for illegal cause it was free to begin with wink.gif

#4 Sir Auros

Sir Auros

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 03:15 PM

It can't read CD-RW's. If they weren't rewritable, I'd have to say that you've been wasting them trying wink.gif

#5 Mechazilla

Mechazilla

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 05:49 PM

You can get it, you just have to tweak the laser, but understand by doing so you cut the dreamcast's laser life in half. The guide is posted here on boob.uk.

Edited by Mechazilla, 05 September 2003 - 05:53 PM.

#6 socrates

socrates

X-S Knowledgebase

• XS-BANNED
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 06:05 PM

Thats the same tutorial that i followed but it didnt mention which way to turn the screw so i assumed clockwise but that didnt work...

#7 bootz

bootz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 07:55 PM

I did this mod about 4 years ago probably longer and my DC's laser is still working fine. Make sure you are turning the correct screw, once I wasn't looking in the right spot and turned the wrong screw waiting 20min of my time. Turn the screw in little incraments and keep on trying. If it's too high you'll be able to read cdrw's but not cdr's so then turn it down a bit. If you just hear the drive going crazy then you turned it up too high. Simple mod to do if you have patience to get it to the right setting.

#8 socrates

socrates

X-S Knowledgebase

• XS-BANNED
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 10:15 PM

I turned it pretty far clockwise and it stopped reading anything, so i put it back, im also afraid of snapping that ribbon that i have to keep pulling out and putting back in, i already put a crimp in it from doing this dry.gif
But try try again, i shall over come this challange.....off i go to win the battle of the cdrw mod....

#9 cainedna

cainedna

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 September 2003 - 10:58 PM

Dunno if you're looking for a file, but they had the DC Web Browser on the Official DC Demo discs. I'm sure you can find some on eBay on the cheep.

#10 socrates

socrates

X-S Knowledgebase

• XS-BANNED
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 12:15 AM

Hmmm, ok i tried adjusting the screw for about half an hour now, and i can either get it to read just the cdr's or nothing at all, i havent yet gotten it to read a cdrw.....

#11 socrates

socrates

X-S Knowledgebase

• XS-BANNED
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 02:43 AM

dry.gif well it wont read anything now, it seems i have lost the position of where i started and now it wont read anything, is there anyways to find there starting point?

#12 bootz

bootz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 10:49 PM

If you lost the "starting" point of the lazer then move it all the ways to the back of the case so it doesn't click anymore. Then move it 1 click forward, it'll be in the right spot and should work again. You can do what i did and not even bother taking out the ribbon cable since it is a pain to put back in. Just lift up on the drive and pull it out, move the laser to the back and flip the drive upside down. You should be able to see the screw and turn it how ever much you want, flip the drive back and set it in. No messing around with the cable wink.gif . I know it's a pain to find the right spot so you can read cdr's and cdrw's but it's worth it in the end i guess. And if you want the Dc Web Browser I think MegaGames has it for download.

#13 socrates

socrates

X-S Knowledgebase

• XS-BANNED
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 12:34 AM

Naw i lost the starting point for the screw not the lazer, so now i dont know where the screw was set in the first place, still cant read any media at all now.....

#14 bootz

bootz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 04:33 PM

WOW man how did that happen lol. Well I guess you could move it clockwise and if you hear the laser going crazy then you know you turned it up too high, then slowley turn it counter clockwise and hope to find the spot where you can atleast read originals again.

#15 hawgman

hawgman

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:SPORTS, xbox, pc's, electronics, hacking.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 08 September 2003 - 04:47 PM

hey socrates I have the web browser on cdr I can snail mail you a copy if you want it..
I have a ton of dc games I used to be heavy into trading dc games back 2-3 years ago.. Im trading some now with another guy on this board..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users