23 replies to this topic

#1 Vald

Vald

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 06:03 PM

Good day

I just wanted to share with you a couple pictures of my Xbox case mod. I've put it into an old "mini" PC case (about 10 years old!) to accomodate the extra HDs that I'll be adding shortly as well as for easier access when doing any hardware mods.

While I'm not the best with a soldering iron, I am by no means afraid to use one. For that reason I was willing to extend the game port cables (using an old floppy drive ribbon cable!), create a custom network extension using a short section of cable and an old NIC, replace my Xecutor2 Pro daughterboard (with the switches) with a series of buttons and wires, etc.

The holes that I cut for the game ports in the case aren't the best and I misjudged the height of them, but I think they look okay once things are plugged into them. The mount for the game ports is a custom-made set of aluminum brackets. The power supply is also mounted via some custom-made supports.

At any rate, here are the pics. Please note that because of the flash the case looks lighter than it really is. Also, the case badge background is not blue but is actually black. The paint used on the case is "almost" black hammered steel to give it a slight texture.

user posted image
Here you can see the LED indicators (the plate is temporary - I'm working on a better one) to show power, HDD activity (not done yet) and mod chip enabled. The little panel is open to show (from top to bottom) the mod enable/disable button, the mod BIOS dipswitches (I do this so infrequent that I decided to leave them as dip switches, but used a new switch), the DVD eject button and the power button.

user posted image
This is another view of the whole thing

user posted image
Here is the back view. Note the LAN connection (I thought that was rather clever), the PCI exhaust fan (I originally had the Xbox fan there but space limitations made me change the fan), the video connections (it'll do for now) and the power connection. The connector near the bottom is the programmer for the Xecutor2 Pro.

user posted image
Here's a pic with the case removed (sitting in the background). Not the best wire organiztion, but that'll come in time. The blue/white wire (formerly from an LED) is for the reset switch and is wired to pins 17 & 19 on the mobo. Right now the "yellow" wire is plugged into the white wire, but if I ever upgrade to component video I just plug it into the blue wire connector. The game port cables were extended with sections of a floppy drive cable. The front panel (eject & power) are secured at the bottom and are not destroyed. In fact, I can put everything back into the original Xbox case with very little work.

At any rate, I just wanted to share this. I'm rather pleased with how it's come so far and I've been really enjoying this project.

Still to do:

- multiple HD switch
- DVD eject on the DVD panel itself
- reset switch on the case
- built-in DVD IR (will go beside the LED panel)
- USB ports (will go in the side of the case - wait and see smile.gif

Take it easy!

Vald

Take it easy!

Vald

#2 Blind_Samurai

Blind_Samurai

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 06 September 2003 - 06:16 PM

That is one sweet mod!!!
Congrats!!!
beerchug.gif

#3 samsng

samsng

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 06:20 PM

like iT!! love.gif

#4 CaliSurfer008

CaliSurfer008

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts
  • Interests:Brahm is a whore

Posted 06 September 2003 - 06:20 PM

The back is kind of ghetto..but nice work

#5 Vald

Vald

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 06:25 PM

Yeah, I'm not happy with the back either, especially the video/audio connectors. I'm working on a way of adding them to a PCI slot, but I haven't found a way to mount them securely.

Vald

#6 sorienor

sorienor

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 September 2003 - 09:47 PM

It is a great looking mod. I am glad someone finally found a use for an old AT case laugh.gif

#7 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 September 2003 - 09:51 PM

nice mod beerchug.gif

#8 NightL1fe

NightL1fe

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 10:05 PM

very nice!!! your controller ports look great!!! nice cut job.. if you could do that i'm sure you could stick that A/V selector inside and cut holes for the 3 AV plugs and the a hole for the S-video.. then it look all flush and reallly sweeet..

but thanks for the idea using the A/V box. i think i'm going to have to redesign my case to intergrate that box in the pci slot made if possible.. beerchug.gif

#9 shane_is_my_name

shane_is_my_name

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:[img]http://upload.justtalk.net/files/killer.jpg[/img]
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 06 September 2003 - 11:07 PM

MAN I LOVE CREATIVE STUFF LIKE THAT, ITS NOT THE BEST LOOKING THIS IN THE WORLD BUT IT LOOKS GOOD AND VERY CREATIVE

#10 MrSelfDestruct

MrSelfDestruct

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 12:06 AM

yea,
very nice biggrin.gif

#11 XboxPro

XboxPro

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 12:12 AM

nice work what tpy of power supplyu using?? biggrin.gif atx or orig

#12 Vald

Vald

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 01:46 AM

Thanks.

I'm using the original power supply. It's mounted to the back of the case (at an angle due to cable length limitations) with some small aluminum mounts.

Vald

#13 Todd587

Todd587

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 01:51 AM

Very awesome. I love xbox to case mods, they are all unique in every way. But yea i'd do something about those AV cords and also, i have a suggestion for the dvd tray cover. That original x-box tray cover looks really out of place, you could probably really easily take that off and rig up a little plastic cover to glue on there and make it flush with the case. Would look alot better/professional I think. Nice job though smile.gif Keep it up.

#14 Softco

Softco

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 01:54 AM

Put the AV in where the PCI slots should be...

#15 spgurley

spgurley

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 September 2003 - 01:59 AM

fucking awsome!!! best mod ive ever seen wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

gift.gif its ur birthay lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic