QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Nov 14 2006, 12:15 PM)
There is a good comparison of the graphical differences between RR6 (a launch title for the 360) and RR7 (a sequel and launch title for the PS3).
From what I've heard they're essentially the same game but RR7 has some extra cars/tracks etc. You can see that a number of details have been removed for the PS3 version, IMO the most noticeable differences is the water: on the 360 it's got ripples, some shiny reflections etc, and having played the game I can tell you that it actually moves around like water should. The water in the PS3 is just flat and lifeless. This is same thing is carried over onto other elements like the reflection of the glass windows on the building etc.
This could tell us a few things, and I'll leave it up to you how you'd like to interpret it
1. - it could mean that developers had a harder time getting these effects to work properly on the PS3 then they did with the 360 either do to difficulty programming for the platform or time constraints.
2. - it could mean that the PS3 couldn't handle that extra level of detail and it had to be cut out.
3. - (if they're going 1080p) it could mean that details had to be cut out to get the game running at a higher resolution, which begs the question if support for the higher resolution on a small small number of TVs where it makes a differences is worth the loss of quality in the details.
4. - any combination of the aforementioned.
It still remains that the the game was released a year later on supposedly superior higher priced hardware and it is missing graphical details and effects.
I agree with most of what you said, but there are a couple things.
1. PS3 version has better lighting. If you translate the spanish below the picture he says illumination.
2. Car models look better
3. Entire scene looks sharper and more crisp. Due to 1080P?
I acknowledge lesser textures
The water is odd. On the first set of pictures the 360 water looks good and is better than the PS3s water. On the second set if you look towards the lake you see the ripples, but they look stuck on and it almost appears the water on the PS3 has translucence/depth and appears to show reflections. Can also be seen when looking at the bow of the ship in the PS3 screen.
I say give it, the PS3, time before coming to any conclusions. I mentioned this before in another thread and I'll mention it again. I remember some harsh words on the 360 and some of it's launch games not looking next gen, i.e. Madden, and now look at games like GoW.
NVM he made the pictures links to see the full size versions.This post has been edited by silentbob343: Nov 14 2006, 07:39 PM