It's a pretty good rule that if you still have your warranty then DON'T screw with it. Common sense should get you this far at least.
Yes if it still has the M$ warranty then let them deal with it by all means, no point it tearing it apart and possibly getting it completely messed up then you'll be after a new one or replacement motherboard for sure. Odds are you may get a crapper back from M$ as well, but again, that's still there problem as long as you still have your warranty, so let them deal with it.
QUOTE(gli7ch @ Apr 3 2007, 08:16 PM)
*Edit* Hey wait, is this post in the right subforum?
Nope, but it is now.