Hey I'd just like to say another big thanks to grifter66 and everyone thats put so much work into making tutorials available for people like me to follow.
Now onto the problems:
I have hex edited my .xbe, and have better bodies and better heads working (thanks to Nightelf). I have successfully converted a mod that adds some armour and clothes to Caldera (black robe and raven armour if you're interested) and that is working. Using the exact same method of conversion, I tried Anastasio The Greats Hideout (which grifter66 apparently got working). The game loads fine, the modifications to Eldafires house are in place, I found the door but everytime I try to load it (ie go into the hideout itself) I get a DDE.
Here is my method for conversion (it is directly from the How To):
- copy Morrowind.esm to PC
- load the mods .esp into TESDTK
- remove Tribunal and Bloodmoon dependencies
- update to xbox version of morrowind.esm
- ESP - ESM (I have discovered from reading the forums that this step may not be necessary)
Also, all textures, icons etc are in the Data Files in the game directory where they should be, in their correct folders.
(1) What is a DDE most likely to mean (ie not missing textures because that just turns things into exclamation marks)?
(2) In my experience there are two types of 'not working' mods: ones that cause a DDE or freeze while the game is loading for the first time; and ones that allow the game to load but cause a DDE or freeze when you interact with the modified part of the game (such as trying to enter the hideout).
When you say you have got a mod working, what exactly do you mean (more precisely, have you fully tested whether the modified parts work, or just got the game to load)?
I suppose that last question was really for grifter66 as he said he got Anastasios working, and I thought I did too before I actually tried entering the hideout.
(3) It seems to me that the 'conversion' process just fixes dependencies, and if there are wrong dependancies in a mod then the game won't load. But what if it does load and other things go wrong during gameplay? Where can we go from there? A rather open ended question that I expect is difficult to answer. Input much appreciated though.
(4) My save game is 152 blocks at present. Will this affect the ability of mods to work or will it just decrease the stability of my game overall?
Finally, thanks to everyone who contributes here, and a definitive list of all tuts and methods of conversion really should be stickied. This post has been edited by Renobu: Jun 12 2005, 04:50 AM