I ran into this problem as well. I tried the original disc and found that that worked perfectly. Then two things happened: 1) the length of the load times quadrupled and 2) I was annoyed that I was "giving up" by using my original disc.
To test, I created and burned an ISO onto DVD-R and found that the backup DVD worked perfectly as well. I then began poking around the game files I'd FTP'ed to my PC and I discovered the "swdirsXbox.ini" file that was previously mentioned here.
This is the original INI file from the game as it appears on the original game disc:Original "swdirsXbox.ini" file from KotOR II
As you can It references the "d:" directory many times. I figured, why not change those instances to the actual game directory when running from the HDD?
So I revised the file by replacing each mention of d:
with f:\games\Star Wars KotOR II
. The latter is the directory you are most likely copying to. This will be the directory that 99% of people have backed up to. If you backed up elsewhere, you will obviously have to change to the appropriate game directory.
The resulting INI file should look like this:Modified "swdirsXbox.ini" file from KotOR II
HD0=f:\games\Star Wars KotOR II
OVERRIDE=f:\games\Star Wars KotOR II\Override
ERRORTEX=f:\games\Star Wars KotOR II\Errortex
MODULES=f:\games\Star Wars KotOR II\Modules
LOCALVAULT=f:\games\Star Wars KotOR II\LocalVault
DMVAULT=f:\games\Star Wars KotOR II\DMVault
SERVERVAULT=f:\games\Star Wars KotOR II\ServerVault
STREAMMUSIC=f:\games\Star Wars KotOR II\STREAMMusic
TEXTUREPACKS=f:\games\Star Wars KotOR II\texturepacks
STREAMWAVES=f:\games\Star Wars KotOR II\StreamWaves
LIPS=f:\games\Star Wars KotOR II\Lips
After modifying the file the game worked perfectly. No black screen, no getting stuck as the broken T3 droid.
I hope this fix helps you out. I'm going to go back to the game now. This post has been edited by chefelf: Feb 8 2005, 06:37 PM