For all those that have successfully made backups before
with Xbox Backup Creator (XBCr) v2.3 and a SH-D162C v0.81 and that suddenly cannot backup one specific game. It is important to note that these are not common occurrences as most extraction are uneventful one click operations. I also assume here that the disk is in an absolute perfect condition.This post will very probably not help you if you have problems to make your first backup. In order to confirm that, just try with another game and if it still does not work than this is really not going to help you.. It is intended for those that have a stable software/hardware environment and mastered the technique of doing backup.
There are usually two sources or errors:
1) SS.bin extraction @ 3.51% of the process.
2) Game partition (good old game.iso) extraction problem that will often occur at the beginning/end of the layers, and that would be in the 3.5%-9% range, the 46-56% range and 95-100% range. It could happen everywhere but is more likely to be at the edges of the disk.
In fact there are no clear software/hardware problems that would allow us to say "this is cause to this behavior and to solve it do that". The proof is that it happens often to people that have successfully made backups of many of their games before/after and that using the same setup!!! while other people with the same tools and hardware would easily do the backup of the same game.
And, it seems to have little to do with the software (XBCr or schtrom) since extraction using other softwares (isobuster...) would generally not work either.
The next aspect you want to confirm is that your software/hardware setup has not been altered. Take an original that you have backed up before and extract it again with XBCr such that you are sure the ingredients to the good recipe are still present!!!
It does not hurt to verify the usual
1) Check your drive is in DMA (not PIO) mode
2) Also you may want to try from spti to aspi (top of the XBCr window), if it does not work then
3) use the aspi included in the XBCr download, if it does not work then
4) read install instruction in the .txt included and reinstall.
All the above are contributing factors which once cleared will maximize your chances of success. But if your other games can still be backed up then these factors are probably not the causes of your specific problem with one game.
With the help of the fantastic members of X-S
we tracked some of those enigmatic situations to the end and here are a few things you must consider:
1) Many ( I am not saying all) of these problems that we have a difficulty to diagnose, may come from the original disk having a marginal quality.
2) We must also realize that the SH-D162C/v0.81 is a drive adapted for the X360 requirements, and that it was not truly meant to be a X360 Drive. There are some SH-D162C unit that will be more or less performant like there are X360 drives that requires pot recalibration!!! And so far mine as worked absolutely perfect!!!
A good example is SPE411 who had done backups before, tried all possible ways to make XBCr work, even tried isobuster directly with his SH-D162C with the same results: trying to backup WWE Smackdown would fail around the 50% completion.
Finally he connected his X360 TSH943 to his pc and started the backup using XBCr and here is what happened
So tonight I tried the TS-H943A. Things started good as usual, disk was reading at around 3,000 kB/s up until the 49% mark. Then the rip dropped to crawling speed at 60 kB/s and I was just waiting for the errors.....but they never came. It took about 10 minutes to read the disk from the 49% mark to the 51% mark. Then the speed shot back up to normal 3,000 kB/s and it ripped the rest fine. ??????
What is happening here obviously is that the DVD is not A1 and while the TSH943A can barely make it work, the SHD162C is not able to compensate for the weaknesses of the disk.
No one should draw any conclusions on the best and/or worst drive from this. I have seen many people having to do pot calibration on their X360 drive to make it usable while their Sh-D162C performs flawlessly
What can be done if you are in that situation? First a warning, you can only come to such conclusions because you have done backups before
with the same software/hardware setup and you know that people with similar setup did backup this game without any problems.
These are the best options I can see for youSamsung owner:
connect your X360 drive to your PC and use XBCr (or other method) for that game.Hitachi owner (except v78) having problem extracting the SS:
connect your X360 drive to your PC and use XBCr (or other method) for the SS; Use XBCr with your sh-D162C to extract the rest and merge (XBCr or ssmerger).Hitachi owner having a problem extracting game.iso:
Use wxripper method with a PC drive for the game.iso; then use your SH-D162C to extract the SS and merge (ssmerger).
All the tutorials are here
and you have a backup
, or you are stuck playing with the original so be careful!
rgds,sosoThis post has been edited by sosotiit: Jan 9 2007, 06:50 PM