I'm sure this topic will be usefull for people like me, who did the worse to their X-BOXes, actually, I screwed up badly two of these, and had to search a lot to repair them.
I WILL TAKE NO RESPONSABILITY IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG !
If you don't know what is TSOP, how to solder properly and the minimal XBOX vocabulary don't try this!!You'll find these informations helpfull if :
1) You tried a TSOP flash, and for some reason :
a ) The box reboots two times and then red/green flash / No DVD Access : you've probabely flashed the console's bios with a 256k flash when it was intended for 1meg (>1.2 flash on a 1.0-1.1)
b ) You flashed your TSOP with the fantastic file "EvoxD6-TSOP" included in the latest release of Evox : the console's light is green, you can access the DVD drive, but your screen stays blank
2) Your HD drive is locked, and you get an error 5/7 or 16, and you forgot to backup the HDD code.
What happened to me is that I did exactly what I just described, having 1)a )b ) and then 2)
Here's what I did1) I flashed my TSOP with a 256k file resulting in fragging
HOW TO AVOID THIS
First go therehttp://www.xbox-scene.com/versions.php
Be sure of your version, even if you have to open the console
1.0-1.1 : 1meg TSOP
>1.1 : 256k TSOP
Then download the bios file you need, if you can't find a 1meg file, run XBTOOL and build it (you can find how to do this in tutos)
Upload the file and flash it using Evox. Last version is known to build a 1meg file with a 256k one, but DON'T USE THE EvoxD6TSOP !!
If It fails, use the 007 flash kit PLUS that you can find in the download section of GUEUX.NET, jus rename the newly created bios file bios.bin and put it in the appropriate folder (see the enclosed readme)
You shouldn't have a problem using these things BUT
YOU FLASHED IT BAD ANYWAY HOW TO REPAIR ?
1) Your Xbox is fragging (2 reboot and red/green light) you'll have to boot on the first 256k of your tsop, here's the only way I found to do that :
Solder one wire per point you see circled in red on this picture
You must have 3 wires, long enough to have one of their end out of the xbox. Now listen carefully. Put everything back in the Xbox, and join the three wires ends. Boot your console. It will use the first quarter of the tsop, the 256k you flashed on the 1meg eeprom. Once booted, and evox accessed (or 007),[Thanks Troed] separate the three wires, you can flash it again... Please beware of what you're doing, that's your last chance to get out of this mess without buying a LPC.
If you leave the three wires soldered, your TSOP will become a 256k one like on the latest (after v1.1) versions of Xbox.
2) You used the method described (1) AND you managed to use a bad bios once again : bye bye dude, you'll have to buy a LPC chip, from your favourite retailer ! whatever the chip you use, it will boot fine, don't worry, because the chip bypasses the TSOP.2) I forgot to backup the HDLock code when I had to
Well well, you'll need two things for that :
1 modded / tsop flashed XBOX with a dashboard and ConfigMagic Final
running... another Xbox...
WARNING : Hotswapping can damage your HDD !
Open both xboxes.
The working modded one : XBOX1
The 2d box (used only for power supply) : XBOX2
Note that xbox2 can be a PC.
1) Run ConfigMagic Final on XBOX1
2) Be careful now, wait 5 minutes, and unplug carefully the grey(IDE) cable from XBOX1.
3) Then, put the IDE cable on the locked HD IDE connector
4) Put Xbox2's HD alim cable (the black/yellow/red) in the locked HD.
5) Power up XBOX2
6) Press Start on your controller to access ConfigMagic's options and choose Create backup files
7) The infos will be refreshed, the locked hard disk recognized
8) Press START again and choose "Unlock HDD"
9) Done !
10) Power off xbox 1 then xbox 2, unplug the alim from ex-locked HD and the IDE cable. Put it back in XBOX1HD.
11) You'll be able to boot on evox with the modded / TSOP flashed XBOX
Warning : If the unlock fail, you'll have to note the HD code given by configmagic, connect the HD on an avalaible slot on your PC, and run unlockx to unlock it.
Hope it will help... I'm french so please forgive my english, Post messages if you have a question.
HenriDeath This post has been edited by Henrideath: Nov 30 2003, 02:57 PM